Josh Schuster.

Lord of the Skraelings

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
But we don't have 6 5/8's. We might not even have 1.

We have a bunch of utilities.

Stop being precious we have Hoy, Lino, Mann, Crosslands, Watson and whoever else I am missing on the books, who have spent time in that role, only reason we looked at Green this year was due to the fact Watson was injured and we needed Mann to be Mr fixit.

Club would be stupid to fork out more on that position when we still need another top quality prop, backrower and centre.

Ethan

Adam MacDougall
Stop being precious we have Hoy, Lino, Mann, Crosslands, Watson and whoever else I am missing on the books, who have spent time in that role, only reason we looked at Green this year was due to the fact Watson was injured and we needed Mann to be Mr fixit.

Club would be stupid to fork out more on that position when we still need another top quality prop, backrower and centre.
Not sure we need a centre . Watson Hoy and Mann can all play centre and at least 2 of those we have no position for . We have Tuala , Best , Shiba , Hunt is a centre really and Young the pommie centre.
We lost 2 props and a backrower that we replaced with Frizzel but it still leaves us down 2 props .

Frank McWilliams

Steve Simpson
I think one prop will do as long as bench or better with King, if resigned, Saulo and some of the young up and comers. At this time I am not to worried about 5/8 as we have plenty that can play that position even if not quite suitable. Nothing much is going to happen for us next year, maybe top 8, with Pearce another year older and nothing working between 6 and 7. Once Pearce is gone then we can buy or produce our half and 5/8 combination.
If Pearce is extended then forget most of above.

Kurriboy

Matthew Gidley
Phil Gardner won't be making a statement against the direction the club is heading. He has been in the meetings and is across the direction the club is going recruitment wise.

Good to see the club recognises where we need to focus to have the most impact on our performances. So much for Hoy being the answer at 5/8, or Lino, or Mann, or Crossland and anybody else I've forgotten.

Oh, and we don't need a top quality prop by the way, we have both Safs and Klem crunching out the yardage. What we need is a good honest toiler off the bench for cheap coin. We don't need a centre as we are flush with them and even Mann is being touted as a centre which I believe is probably where he would fit best.

Why recruit in a position we have well and truly covered?

Last edited:

member 2299

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
From what I have seen of Dom Young he will put pressure on the centres to perform so that gives us two spare centres with Shib.

Alex McKinnon who recruited Dom says "He is arguably the top rated 18-year-old in the UK and could have excelled at several clubs, whether that be in the NRL, English Super League or English and French Rugby Union."

Last edited:

Kurriboy

Matthew Gidley
From what I have seen on Dom Young he will put pressure on the centres to perform so that gives us two spare centres with Shib.

Alex McKinnon who recruited Dom says "He is arguably the top rated 18-year-old in the UK and could have excelled at several clubs, whether that be in the NRL, English Super League or English and French Rugby Union."

I'd honestly be surprised if we aren't seeing Dom in the NRL next year at some point, hopefully lighting it up and becoming a sensation.

luke46

Tea Ropati
https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/...bsite&utm_medium=home&utm_campaign=latestnews

Phil Gardner says in this interview that we need a 5/8 and that Pearce has been "very vocal" about what sort of player we need. maybe that was just him trying to "sell" us on Foran though.

Speaking of Foran. Between his salary and DCE not sure manly will have much coin for back up halves. Imo we should look at Shuster and cust at 5/8.

1. Ponga
6. Shuster/cust
7. Clifford
13. Watson
14. Hoy