Jeremy Smith and Beau Scott to stay at the Knights

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Jul 16, 2014.

1. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Scott, Smith locked in at Knights

By Ben Horne
    AAP
    1:08pm Wed 16th July, 2014

Newcastle enforcers Beau Scott and Jeremy Smith say they'll remain at the Knights next year, with no get-out clauses to follow departing coach Wayne Bennett out the door.

Knights chief executive Matt Gidley conceded the club may be powerless to stop some players exercising contract loopholes now that Bennett has announced he's leaving.

Darius Boyd has confirmed he's one of those, revealing on Sunday he has no idea where he will be next year.

But in a boost for the embattled club, two of Bennett's other disciples Scott and Smith, who won a premiership under the super coach at St George Illawarra in 2010 - claim they will see out their current deals with Newcastle.

NSW State of Origin star Scott has two years to run and New Zealand forward Smith another season.

The pair admit they were shocked by Bennett's decision to leave but deny they too may look to walk away.

"Wayne's got his own reasons why he's leaving. As a playing group we need to get on with things and all we can do is play football," Scott told AAP.

"Where we stand at the moment ... things are in good stead."

Smith fully expected to be coached by Bennett next year but said his exit would not change his own mentality.

"I felt a little bit empty when I was told. But that's business isn't it. He has to get on with life," Smith said.

"It doesn't change things for me at all. I'm here to play footy."

Knights boss Gidley said he would need to work on finalising the club's roster for 2015 in the coming weeks.

It appears almost certain that Queensland and Kangaroos ace Boyd will leave.

However, salary cap pressures at Bennett's two main suitors St George Illawarra and Brisbane could mean Boyd has to go it alone with a different coach for the first time in his career.

http://www.nrl.com/scott,-smith-locked-in-at-knights/tabid/10874/newsid/80277/default.aspx

2. EASBay17

EASBay17 David Fairleigh

I like beau Scott more and more everyday! Great to here.
    I still think smith has a bit to offer next year even though it's obvious his slowly declining

3. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Here are Jeremy's comments in an article written by Matt Logue for the Knights website

(Rest of the article posted in the gameday thread)

4. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Good men. Those quotes from Smith are great ... a club on the rise ... makes a change from what Bennett's been saying about us.

5. Mr Goanna

Mr Goanna hung up on the glory days

I fully expected those guys to stay, so no surprises here, in fact I think Scott will stay the year after too to fully see out his contract, other guys i'm not so sure about...

6. Hamish171

Hamish171 Adam Woolnough

Learning
    I for one was certain Scott would of wanted to leave. Good to hear he is staying.

7. Junior11

Junior11 Moderator Moderator

Both Smith and Scott don't strike me as players to quit. They both seem happy at the club and if anything disappointed that Bennett has walked away from them and the team. Scott is in brilliant form, he's no worries whatsoever and Smith proved just last week what an asset he is when he's fit. He's only got one more year left, I'm more than happy for him to stay at lock while he's not injured, his defence is still at a high level and he adds so much aggression, influence and experience, he'll probably pull his finger out even more knowing it'll likely be his last year at the club/NRL.

8. Pieguyfly

Pieguyfly Sean Rudder

Has anybody noticed that every time somebody tries to get away from Jeremy Smith and he manages to put a hand on them, he just slams them into the ground. He is one hell of a tough guy. A lot of the tackles where you think they'll get away and he just reaches out and body slams them. He's like what Chris Houston should be.

9. Junior11

Junior11 Moderator Moderator

Yeah he's got that badass throwing motion, they go down faster than a sack of **** once he gets his hands on them, love watching his defence.

10. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I thought Scott might leave but Smith won't get the same money anywhere else. Too many injuries for the old guy.
    Mason will go somewhere else if anyone will have him. He don't rate Stone, and that's because Stone doesn't rate him and offered him small money when he was coach (so Mason went elsewhere and badmouthed the club).
    Brennan would be even less likely to rate Mason.

11. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    Didn't Smith's contract mention a job at the Club when finished playing ?

12. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

I didn't think they would leave, Smith is too old to get another contract & i think he said he wanted to retire after this one, Scott signed on after Bennett's contract expired too.

13. turtonrd

turtonrd Dave Woods

Smith would make a hell of a defence/collision coach when he's done.

14. Swarzey

Swarzey Michael Hagan

Considering Scott didn't leave at the end of 2012, I'm not surprised he's staying. And Smith said his family is settled in Newcastle, hopefully that means he'll remain involved with the club.

15. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Don't know why Beau is not the team captain. He sure has the leadership qualities and the muscle to back it up. And boy is he dedicated.