James Gavet

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by krustykraz, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Gavet definitely isn’t a world class prop, but it’ll do for depth I suppose. Still holding hope Klemmer ain’t happy, or the coaching circus sees a few decent names become available.

2. Ethan

Ethan Steve Simpson

We let Yates go because although he was a great defender he isn't much good with ball in hand always getting picked up and driven backwards ...If he had grown to 6'4" with his motor he would have been great but he is just too small ….

3. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    I fail to see the Yates upside.

4. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I never seen Yates get picked up and driven backwards.

Edogmilly and danknights like this.
  5. Lord of the Skraelings

Yates is one of those poor buggers if he was 20cms talller and 10kgs heavier he'd be playing origin. My brother was one of those poor fellas in NSW cup for 5 years who was close enough but not good enough.

Ethan likes this.
  6. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    I like what I see and hear re Gavet off the field. Seems to be a positive influence on the younger ones and is fitting right into the community. Going ok on the field as well.

7. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

It's hard to know who is influencing who off the field, but it's very clear that the young Kiwi kids living in Newcastle right now are training the house down.
    Momoisea, Toa, Sasagi, Christopher Vaile - these guys must be training like firstgraders to make the progress they are making.

Maybe someone will tell the story at some time, but the feeling I get is they have formed a little community and someone like Gavet or Levi or SKD is keeping them on a very good pathway to a career in RL.

8. Joey1245

Joey1245 Dave Woods

I can assure you it’s not Levi

9. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Last three games Gavet averaging 34 minutes 114 metres 17 tackles (0.33 missed). Can't ask for much more from your bench prop.

Herman 28 minutes 93 metres 17 tackles (0 missed).

10. Lord of the Skraelings

It's sad mate heart of a lion, but you can't coach size.

member 2299, slotmachine and Ethan like this.
  11. Centurion

Centurion Con Mika

Tonight's his opportunity to step up and lead the middles.

Biggest test for us without our main metre-eater.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

12. Wobbles

Wobbles Michael Eagar

Silly errors aside, the aggression, arrogance and niggle he brought against Souths was top shelf.

He'll need to keep that up to hold his spot though, but I'm glad he's on our side

13. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

We'll probably need to cut props soon, which is weird since we went a decade without producing a decent one.
    After Kade Snowden, who was actually a second rower till he moved to Cronulla, we had no one till the Saifitis, but now we have Saulo, Jake Saifiti, Momoisea, Matt Croker in reserve grade and 3 or 4 others in under 20s.
    I think Gavet finishes his current contract at the end of 2020, and I'll be disappointed if he is still in firstgrade by then. Glasby finishes after 2021, and we should have at least 1 or 2 up to speed to replace him by then.
    Wing is the position that worries me. SKD must get old eventually, and we don't seem to have any wingers coming through, unless Star Toa or Bradman Best move from centre to wing.

R_A likes this.
  14. R_A

R_A Adam Woolnough

Browns winger formula has paid off, tall and lengthy guys with long legs/arms and large hands who can be suspect to a brain fart but can at least out leap many other wingers. Don’t know the exact stat but tries and closer attempt at tries from contested kicks is probably way higher then before on the eye test
    We don’t need to spend 500k on a fergo/Uate/Semi type with that said.

Again that’s probably from a Storm philosophy dating back to 2007 bringing in Islander Giants like Folau to play there.

As for props I’m happy to enjoy the moment, we’re competing with packs that used to roll over us convincingly and that’s a much of an improvement in the current guys as well as the guys bought in.

Centurion likes this.