Jack De Belin charged with Sexual Assault

Discussion in 'General Rugby League' started by rhugh89, Dec 13, 2018.

  1. rhugh89

    rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2012
    Posts:
    26,040
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Brisbane
    Dragons statement: Jack de Belin


    dragons.com.au
    Thu 13 Dec 2018, 06:58 PM



    The St George Illawarra Dragons have today been advised that forward Jack de Belin has been charged with sexual assault following an alleged incident in Wollongong on Sunday, December 9.

    The club is taking the matter very seriously and have been working with Jack and all relevant authorities, including the police and the NRL Integrity Unit, since this time.

    Jack has been provided with welfare support to enable him the time and opportunity to deal with the matter.

    As this is a police matter to be considered by the court, the club is not in a position to make any further comment at this time.


    https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/12/13/dragons-statement-jack-de-belin/
     
  2. rhugh89

    rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2012
    Posts:
    26,040
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Brisbane
    From Fox Sports

    Jack de Belin is the latest NRL player to be embroiled in an off-season incident, with the St George Illawarra star charged with sexual assault following an encounter with a woman last weekend.

    The NSW Origin representative, who is expecting a child with his partner Alyce Taylor, voluntarily attended Wollongong Police Station at 3:40pm on Thursday, where he was charged with one count of aggravated sexual assault in company.

    The charge relates to an alleged incident involving a 19-year-old woman at a home unit in Wollongong on Sunday, December 9 at about 1:30am.

    Another man is said to be also involved in the incident but police are yet to question him over his role.

    De Belin has been granted conditional bail to appear in Wollongong Local Court on Tuesday, February 12, 2019.

    Among his bail conditions are that he must report daily to Wollongong police station from Monday to Friday. He has also handed over his passport and has been ordered not to go within 50 metres of where the alleged victim lives or works.

    An NRL spokesman confirmed to foxsports.com.au that the Dragons advised the NRL Integrity Unit of the incident earlier in the week.

    “We will now allow the legal process to take its course,” the spokesman said.

    According to the Nine Network, the incident allegedly happened during a night out in Wollongong after the woman reportedly left a Crown Street establishment with a large group including de Belin.

    A photo of de Belin drinking with teammates was posted on sSunday although it is unclear when it was taken.

    She reportedly told police she hailed a taxi with de Belin and another man and was under the impression they were headed to another club but instead ended up at an apartment block.

    The 19-year-old reportedly went to the bathroom in the apartment block and once she came out she says de Belin and the other man were naked and she was then allegedly sexually assaulted.

    After showering she told a friend what had happened and went to a local hospital for treatment.

    According to reports, de Belin has denied the allegations to the Dragons and his partner.

    The Daily Telegraph reports teammate Jai Field could be a witness, having spent time with the woman and de Belin earlier in the night. There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing by Field and he is not under police investigation.


    https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/7d9d9067469c6dd25ab90cab4613be63
     
  3. rhugh89

    rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2012
    Posts:
    26,040
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Brisbane
    NRL star Jack de Belin’s friend charged with aggravated sexual assault



    news.com.au
    34 minutes ago



    The man allegedly out with NRL star Jack de Belin on the night the NSW State of Origin representative is alleged to have sexually assaulted a woman has now also been charged.

    Callan Sinclair was arrested by Wollongong Police District officers on Monday morning and taken to Wollongong Police Station for questioning.

    Just a few hours later he was charged with one count of aggravated sexual assault in company and granted conditional bail to appear in Wollongong Court on February 12.

    Sinclair, 21, is alleged to have been with de Belin and a 19-year-old woman in Wollongong before the trio returned to a private apartment in a taxi after they attended a Christmas pub crawl last Sunday.

    According to reports, the woman has told police she went with the two men on the understanding they were going to visit another night spot.

    It is at the private residence where the sexual assault of the woman is alleged to have occurred.

    The Daily Telegraph reports de Belin has denied assaulting the woman when questioned by St George Illawarra officials.

    He was last week excused from the NSW Blues Emerging Origin camp in Sydney as he prepares to face the charges against him.

    The 27-year-old has been granted conditional bailed after being charged with the aggravated sexual assault in company of a 19-year-old as a result of an alleged incident in a Wollongong apartment just over a week ago.

    De Belin has denied the allegations and will appear in Wollongong Local Court on February 12.

    He was due to be part of the Blues team debrief and bonding session under the watchful eye of coach Brad Fittler on Friday however was given permission to sit it out.

    The Dragons last week released a club statement to confirm they are treating the allegations seriously.


    “The club is taking the matter very seriously and have been working with Jack and all relevant authorities, including the police and the NRL integrity unit, since this time,” a Dragons statement claimed.

    — with AAP


    https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/e2ea1cf0c555edb35bb8ab24ae4b1707
     
  4. rhugh89

    rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2012
    Posts:
    26,040
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Brisbane
    From Fox Sports

    St George Illawarra star Jack de Belin has been officially stood down by the NRL after the game’s governing body announced changes to its player behaviour policy.

    ARL Commission (ARLC) chairman Peter Beattie and NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg fronted the media after Thursday morning’s annual general meeting to confirm that de Belin had been indefinitely sidelined.

    De Belin’s immediate playing future has been uncertain after he was charged with the aggravated sexual assault of a 19-year-old woman, something he has pleaded not guilty to.

    De Belin refused to stand himself down after meeting with Greenberg on Wednesday at St George Leagues Club, leaving the decision up to the ARLC.

    Under the new “no fault” policy, any player who is charged with an offence that carries a prison term of 11 years or more will be automatically stood down until the court case is resolved.

    Greenberg also has the discretionary powers to stand down players charged with offences involving the assault of women or children.

    De Belin will receive full pay and be able to continue training with the team. He will also be stood down by representative football.

    The club may apply to the salary cap auditor for salary cap relief.


    https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...l/news-story/f53682a235ffde636292b3562677076a
     
  5. rhugh89

    rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2012
    Posts:
    26,040
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Brisbane
  6. Lefty

    Lefty Justin Holbrook

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2008
    Posts:
    1,378
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Sydney
  7. cowboyman

    cowboyman Ben Kennedy

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2012
    Posts:
    3,457
    Occupation:
    Hospitality
    Location:
    Hunter/UK
    Why he is a innocent man until proven guilty.
     
  8. Lefty

    Lefty Justin Holbrook

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2008
    Posts:
    1,378
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Sydney
    The police must have believed that there is a prima facie case that he committed sexual assault to charge him. For the reputation of the game it is best that he does not play until the court case has been completed.
     
  9. cowboyman

    cowboyman Ben Kennedy

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2012
    Posts:
    3,457
    Occupation:
    Hospitality
    Location:
    Hunter/UK
    They will charge anyone if the alleged victim is convincing enough.

    The poor guy is having his case played out in the media and getting slammed as being guilty way to prematurely. Same thing thy happened to Brett Stewart.
     
  10. Kurriboy

    Kurriboy Sean Rudder

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2016
    Posts:
    2,797
    And then if found not guilty? What then, he missed a whole year of footy most likely due to no fault of his own other than someone made an accusation, which can easily happen with high plying sports stars.

    There is a reason people are innocent until proven guilty.

    I hope he wins and the NRL have to pay his costs.
     
  11. rhugh89

    rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2012
    Posts:
    26,040
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Brisbane
    Federal Court adjourns de Belin hearing until Thursday


    Brad Walter
    NRL.com Senior Reporter
    Thu 7 Mar 2019, 03:11 PM


    A legal challenge by St George Illawarra forward Jack de Belin to the NRL’s new “no fault stand down” policy has been held over until next Thursday.

    The ARL Commission announced last week it had approved the automatic standing down of any player facing charges carrying a maximum sentence of 11 years' jail time or more, with players unable to take the field until legal matters are finalised through the legal system.

    They are permitted to remain training with their team and receive their full pay. De Belin returned to training with St George Illawarra on Tuesday after initially being granted some time away by the club.

    As the rule has not yet been formalised, the Federal Court adjourned the hearing until next Thursday.

    Alan Sullivan, QC, who was representing the ARL Commission in court, said there was "nothing to stop him playing rugby league from now and the time the rule is enacted".

    He said de Belin was not technically suspended as it stands but the new rule was expected to be up and running before the Telstra Premiership gets under way with next Thursday night’s Storm-Broncos clash in Melbourne.

    After announcing the policy last Thursday, ARL chairman Peter Beattie and NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said the rule would be enacted before the start of the season.

    "What will happen from here is that we are delegating to Todd within the terms of the NRL rules to seek appropriate legal advice on the actual drafting of the rule," Beattie told a press conference after last Thursday’s ARLC annual general meeting.

    "We have established the policy, we now have to actually draft the rule so that will be done based on legal advice."

    De Belin is appealing to the court to prevent the NRL and the ARL Commission from enacting the rule.

    Justice Stephen Rares said there was currently "no entitlement to stand him down".

    The case was adjourned to March 12 by which time the new rule may be in place.

    The St George Illawarra lock has pleaded not guilty to charges of aggravated sexual assault in court in Wollongong following an incident in December.

    The Dragons kick off their season next Saturday night against the Cowboys in Townsville.


    https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/07/federal-court-adjourns-jack-de-belin-hearing-until-thursday/
     
  12. Kurriboy

    Kurriboy Sean Rudder

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2016
    Posts:
    2,797
    So not only did they dream up a rule to suspend a player and get ARL approval, but they haven't even finalised legal advice on the rule as yet, and they have suspended a player under the rule that doesn't even exist!

    :no:
     
  13. Lefty

    Lefty Justin Holbrook

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2008
    Posts:
    1,378
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Sydney
    Yet
     
  14. Kurriboy

    Kurriboy Sean Rudder

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2016
    Posts:
    2,797
    I'm sure their next move is to go for an injunction preventing the NRL from banning him until his court case has been resolved, as his court case includes preventing the NRL from enacting the rule in the first place.
     
  15. josh2010

    josh2010 Up The Knights!!!!! Staff Member Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2009
    Posts:
    7,520
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Sydney
    Their Major sponsor is threatening to pull out if they play him RD 1 so i highly doubt they will
     
    Lefty likes this.

Share This Page