Inability to sign talented players

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Bruh, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Bruh

Bruh Scott Carter

With Glen Stewart and Tim Grant signing with the bunnies its made we wonder, Will we ever sign some decent players?

I thought with Wayne being at the helm we would have started to see a few major signings. But nothing.... we cant even get NSW cup forwards to sign with us? We have to have room in the salary cap!! is anyone as frustrated with our signing inability as i am?

2. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    Players aren't uneducated they read newspapers and can see for themselves what goes on. The question is not will we ever sign decent players it is why would a decent player want to come here ? More off field drama than you can poke a stick at, worries about getting paid, a team that struggles for consistency and uncertainty over who will be coach next year and beyond. Not a very good sell if you ask me.

3. JOJO82

JOJO82 Evan Cochrane

Totally agree with Beaumont....

I have come to the realization that we will not being signing a decent prop or anybody for that matter this year.

4. Bruh

Bruh Scott Carter

I Honestly think we will struggle to sign a marquee player for the 2015 season. The club had so much hope at the beginning of the bennett era and it seems to be in shambles now. The next few home games i think we will struggle to get 12K people. Its a really disappointing time for the Knights...

5. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

I am really worried about this, Our club must seem very unattractive for quality players who are available

Unless we start getting results and fix the administration / off field issues we won't be signing any high quality players for the next few years

6. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    What happened to Leilua being close to putting pen to paper ?

7. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Yeah Boyd, Smith, Scott, Gagai & Leilua are all untalented hacks.

8. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Boyd follows Bennett closer then most peoples shadow, Scott is old and BJ and Dane were sacked from clubs.

9. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Scott has been our best player this year and was 27 when he signed. Once again are the players I mentioned untalented?

10. AlbertWillScore97

AlbertWillScore97 Robbie O'Davis

Its like the club is waiting for the next Johns and Buderus to magically appear in their lower grades. It always feels like we are constantly going through a rebuilding phase. We scrape into the finals every couple of years and instead of building on it the next year and becoming a consistant threat in the finals, we take 2 steps backward as we struggle to keep a similar side together due to inconsistent form and players leaving and a seemingly never ending unlucky streak of injuries.

11. Beeto

Beeto Peter Malcolm

We just signed BJ for another 2 years today.

12. Bruh

Bruh Scott Carter

Im not saying that we have never signed talented players! I'm saying we aren't anymore..

13. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Snowden was signed by the fat man with the money, at the 11th hour, by blowing the Sharks deal out of the water.

The warriors didn't bother re-signing Packer because of his attitude.

14. Defender1

Defender1 Steve Simpson

Rochow and mckinnon are the only others I can think of and neither are what I'd call marque!

15. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

yeah rochow was playing nsw cup for the storm and mckinnon had three 1st grade games under his belt (and was another ex-dragon)

16. Junior11

Junior11 Moderator Moderator

Probably because big names cost big money. I'm sure he'd prefer to pay for players who he has already worked with and can get the job done or who are already at the club that he believes in. He's obviously not a big spender.

I don't know why he's getting lesser credit for signing Leilua and Gagai though. They're still his signings, they could have gone to any of the other 14 clubs but he got them to the Knights.

I'm not sure if any of these players would have signed with us pre-Bennett. Our biggest coup in years was Neville Costigan.

17. Defender1

Defender1 Steve Simpson

Surely Darius has to be our biggest signing of recent times... he's the only current test (Aussie) player we've signed since.... probably ever lol

18. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I've said this before.
    We can't sign players because we don't offer them the lifestyle they see as attractive.
    These guys are making a decision about their future and the future of their families, and they just don't see Newcastle as the place they want to live.
    We all know it isn't a bad place to live, but only local players really know that.

My solution is that we should move the training base for the club to one of the nicer areas of the Hunter Valley or the greater Newcastle region. Instead of having their gym in the slummiest part of the region, we should have a gym and field at Nelsons Bay, Valentine, Catherine Hill Bay or maybe just build a gym near Townson Oval in Merewether.

If I were Tinkler, I think i'd move the training base for the team to Nelsons Bay and set them all up in a real coastal village lifestyle that would be attractive to any player looking to sign for the Knights.

19. Defender1

Defender1 Steve Simpson

If they're seriously considering a move to Newcastle, they get a pretty good tour of the beaches and good parts of town... a lot of guys don't want to leave Sydney (or Brisbane etc).. that's why we get a few Warriors... you notice that once we do get them, not to many want to leave ;)

20. Jonno

Jonno The 18th Man

Mining Engineer
    We find it hard to sign players because young guys don't want to leave Sydney and it's social life...

Moving to Nelson Bay with a bunch of retirees isn't going to fix this. You'd be better off basing yourself in Gosford, which would potentially allow players to live in the Northern Beaches. But then it wouldnt really be Newcastle, would it?

Lets face it, we are really only going to be able to sign young guys looking for a go, ex-locals who have plenty of friends and family here, or aging players who are over the nightlife lifestyle and looking to settle down with their families. Same as the Cowboys, Raiders and most likely Melbourne once the big three split and they have money to spend.