'I don't know majority of the players anymore'

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Ms.Nobody, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

I might strike a nerve or two, but this is worth discussing and something I want to get off my chest.

Apologies if I offend anyone...

My rant:

The Daily Telegraph reported yesterday that a fan quoted they didn't recognise many of the Knights (apart from Jarrod Mullen & Kurt Gidley) at a recovery session held at the beach.

It was then reported that people do not go to games anymore because of this.

Does anyone think this is a weak excuse?

I currently love our squad of players, we were due for a new blend of youth. It's a side that has been yes recruited by Brian Smith - but also play a great style, Newcastle of old in attack.

As Newcastle is a 'One Team, One Town' it seems the expectations are that at least 70% need to be from the Hunter area for them to attend.

Is this seriously the fans problem?

The recent Herald poll had 20% ? of people say I don't know any of the players anymore... is it due to the loss of Buderus, Johns, Gidley, O'Davis in the last 5 years.

We would be in struggle town if we had local juniors Todd Lowrie, Reegan Tanner, Adam Woolnough who If I recall hardly get a game in the NRL anymore.

Why is that I wonder ? It confuses me greatly.

Would you like to see the likes of those mentioned above still running around in Knights jerseys ? Your kidding aren't you ?

Teams like Bulldogs and their fans now relish the cleanout, no complaints from Souths fans either.

The term 'Brian Smith has ruined Newcastle with recruiting players from outside the Hunter' should be thrown out the window. If anything it's embarrasing to know they aren't being as welcomed as a single player would coming into a town. (eg. Brian Carney)

Maybe they need to win a GF to bring back the fans who are currently turning their back on them.

Concluding, I was abit annoyed reading this as an excuse as to why people don't attend games. Not knowing who any of the players because they arent from Newcastle originally is a joke. Wake up!

2. Liam

Liam Zeb Taia's Lovechild

Maybe if they start going to games they'll recognise the players.

3. Newcastle Forever

Newcastle Forever NEW-CAS-TLE

Baker
    I got to admit that whilst I know pretty much every name on the Knights books it is sometimes hard to figure out who it is wearing the jersey

But It shouldn't really matter if the Knights players are locally produced or are imports from other clubs/overseas. A good balance would be nice, though, but it's only a virtue.

Soccer teams around the world (especially in England) do not have many local players in the side, let alone domestic players. Arsenal only has two English players who are barely out of school. But the fans don't care, they just want results.

Footy is becoming more and more of a world game by the day (most players these days are PI), and the sooner people realise this, the sooner they can check themselves into rehab for xenophobia.

4. Liam

If Hages was still here the team would look like this:

1. Thaiday
    2. Quinn
    3. Tighe
    4. Carmont
    5. Mad Dog
    6. Gidley
    7. Mullen
    8. Woolnough
    9. Brown
    10. Perry
    11. Reynoldson
    12. Newton
    13. Simpson

14. Bailey
    15. Sargent
    16. Lowrie
    17. Snowden

Current Position 16th, F/A -60, W0 L6

But hell at least people will recognise them.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
    Newcastle Forever likes this.
  5. Newcastle Forever

Baker
  6. Fungus

Fungus Steve Simpson

7. Newcastle Forever

Baker
    Well spotted.

Kirk who?

8. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

Which we would then be asking, what would Kurt Gidley be like, would he even be playing Origin & Australia ? I think not.

Are Pato, McManus, Dureau & Walsh still around :lol: So many what ifs.

Snowden wasn't as good as he is today, argh there is so many players who wouldn't be as good as they are now. People may think there is a good side, but try and remember their roles before hand. It's a diferent ball game.

Personally I'd prefer new players. We had a hole in good junior talent which was filled with new recruits. Now weve got the side, we can develop some more Knights from the Hunter.

Roopy had the stats on the famous Jersey Flegg side that went down to Penrith back in 05/06 I think it was... how many of them have played FG - since then Juniors haven't been great.

9. Newcastle Forever

Baker
    Do you have a link for that side?

Cheers

10. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

Here are the sides & scorecard in the GF. We went down by 2.

All have played FG

Not a bad ratio. We havent had a decent crop of juniors since. Toyota Cup hasn't been kind to us with locals.

11. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Bedsy would still be here but the rest of the team is right and we would be going shocking that's for sure
    If you're a true fan you learn to like the new players

12. newcastle_fan_4eva

newcastle_fan_4eva Todd Bates

is interested in looking for a traineeship in admi
    Well maybe fans should take the time to go to games or even read the newspapers that would have the line up for the match with names and then while they're watching the match then they'll be able to see who they are and will get to know who they are. And yes this is a poor excuse for fans to use. Sometimes I get mixed up with who the players are or i don't know who they are but i know that in time i will get to know who they are and stuff. If i could i'd be at every home game and regardless if i know who is on the team or not. I'd still go if i didn't know who any of them were. It's good that Brian smith is bringing the youth into the side to give them a shot to show what they have. Kurt Gidley and Jarrod Mullen will end up needing to retire or something could change for them and then they'll be new players to fill in their positions. It's great that we're getting new players from different towns as well in the team, there is no harm in that. Fans that believe that players should come from the hunter region are a little pathetic, Imagine the team if we only got people from that area? Yeah they could be great but a lot of them may not be ready to step up to first grade or whatever.

13. bigdan

bigdan Red, Blue & Gold 24/7/365

Teacher
    I have problems remembering a lot of people's faces across the spectrum of life. :lol: I don't know what these tossers are going on about! :p

Seriously though, if the inability to recongise players is a problem for them, the maybe they should stick to local league...and same bears true for the Jets. They recruited at least 10 outsiders...

Admittedly, I did have my doubts about Smithy when he was first appointed coach, but he has proven me wrong, thankfully.

14. Liam

Dragons '05 Flegg team has to have the best strike rate. Brett Morris, Josh Morris, Jason Nightingale, Keith Lulia, Danny Wicks, Chris Houston, Beau Ryan, Lee Te Maari, Daryl Millard, Josh Lewis, Dan Hunt, George Ndaira. I think there's more as well.

15. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

Yeh the 05 JF Dragons had just about every player convert to FG which was a great result for them.

In regards to recognising players... with the changes to the sides. Were use to watching Mullen so people get him mixed up with Rogers.

In my eyes, Pato owns number 12 so seeing someone else in it is abit weird. Like Mullen in 14 that sort of thing. Getting players mixed up is different to not knowing them at all.

16. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Stupid comments by whoever made them. The reason they don't recognise the players is because they ditched the side in 07 and 08 when results were poor (first half of 08) and haven't been following it since then!

I just have to echo what others have said. The state that Hagan left the side in in 2007 was shocking, without Johns there they had a lot of difficulty being competitive, might win the odd game, but got flogged a heck of a lot.

Smith has had to bring players in from outside to fix this short-term. He said when he re-signed with us at the start of the year that he was now going to look at developing local talent and setting up systems so that we can get a lot of local players playing for the Knights.

Now this is the optimal situation, but it's never going to always be possible. What would these fans prefer, a poorly performing side with no chance of winning the comp, ala 2004, 2005 and 2007, packed with local players, or a side like 2008 and 2009, with some local players, but has had to recruit from outside to be successful.

It's not like there aren't a lot of local players in there at the moment, either. Gidley, McManus, Uate, Mullen, Dureau, Tolar, Paterson, Simpson, Natusch, etc have all emerged from our junior teams. That must rank highly among other NRL teams as it is.

Even if we get more local players, we are always going to need outsiders to complete the squad. Where do they think Ben Kennedy came from in 2001? And ... ahem ... Lee Jackson in 1997? :lol:

17. Frizzed

Frizzed I ♥ James McManus

If they can't recognise players, they aren't really fans.

18. Jekk

Jekk Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Baublier
    Thats exactly right. I think that all of the excuses they used in the Herald prove "not really fans"
    "I've been a fan for 19 years but now I won't go until Steve Burraston is not CEO anymore" Bull****. You are not a fan. :noway:

19. ~knightsgirljess~

~knightsgirljess~ LIVE LAUGH LOVE

NURSE- TEAM LEADER
    Ridiculous get to the games and support the players then you'll know them!!! what do these "Fans" want? teams change its the way of the game fresh blood is introduced. GET A LIFE AND STOP COMPLAINING, GET OUT THERE SUPPORT THE TEAM AND WATCH THE AMAZING TALENT ON THE FIELD THAT HAS CURENTLY WON 4/6 IN 09!! The times they are a changing people!!!!

20. albert

albert Steve Walters

Well, what you guys have said... its a stupid excuse not to go the game. Just look at the recent results, Im sure our next home game will bring alot of people to the game.