I AM CALLING IT EARLY KNIGHTS TO FINISH TOP 4!

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Lord of the Skraelings, Dec 31, 2019.

?

YES YOUR RIGHT, OR NO, NO MORE GOON!

1. YES YOUR RIGHT!

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. NO MORE GOON NO

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  1. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    WHO'S WITH ME BABY! - 10 BEERS IN SINCE LUNCH...........

2. luke46

luke46 Darren Forward

Not if they are scoring at your rate... 10 beers since lunch... What's that? 1 beer per hour?

3. Lefty

Lefty Neil Sweeney

Retired
    Sounds like this year to me. We all got our hopes up and were let down badly.

I think we’ll just have to wait and see how we go.

4. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

We are due for a 2020 predictions thread.

Who do we replace in the 8? Broncos or Sharks. Who do the Cowboys replace?

Who else drops out who's currently in the 8?

5. alexwilliams

alexwilliams Craig Gower

Wood machinist
    I predict Moga will get a fulltime spot as starting centre and we'll finish 6th..

Oh and Hunt will be the highest try scorer

6. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Bold predictions;
    Ponga will play a much more traditional fullback role, basing his game on Billy Slater. His playmaking skills will only be used for set plays where they try to get him one on one with a weak defender and have players running with him. apart from that he will be at the back looking to support every line break and not in the line playing like a 5/8. By concentrating on playing fullback he will be our leading tryscorer with at least 20 for the season.

Best, Crossland and Toa will all start the season in reserve grade and finish in firstgrade.

Levi and Brailey will both be given a chance to earn a starting spot for firstgrade in the trials, and O'Brien will go with whoever earns the spot.

Brodie Jones will be our rookie of the year.

Simi Sasagi will play 5/8 in firstgrade at some stage of the year.

Jirah Momoisea will make a very successful change to second row but it will take most of the season in reserve grade for him to get the defence positioning right.

Big Daniel Ticehurst will have a breakout year in reserve grade and might even get a development spot by mid season.

We will win titles in reserve grade, under 18s boys and under 18s girls this year.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    Jack, Battler, Beatell and 1 other person like this.
  7. The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd

The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd Andrew Hodge

Asset Manager
    nice one Billy. That will all definitely happen.

8. relicorange94

relicorange94 Justin Holbrook

Mai-Wel
    If the Knights don’t make the top eight this year, I can expect a Brian Smith Caliber clean out in the offseason as we’ve finally got a coach that won’t take any crapola from nobody since Adam O’Brien’s been Bellamy’s understudy for more than a decade, despite being unproven.

9. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

I’m very confident of a Top 8 finish. Making the Top 4 would be massive.

We’ve got the right coach now and a lot of our players will play their best football under him. I’m expecting huge years from Daniel Saifiti, Watson and EseEse. They’ll know what their role is and will flourish under a coach who knows exactly what he wants from his players.

Battler, ben, Lefty and 1 other person like this.
  10. Owey

Owey Max Chapman

I was talking to my brother-in-law about Ponga's role next year under Obi. I said that Teddy scored the two most important tries of last year, to win origin 3 and the gf, by backing up breaks made by others and finishing them off. For neither try did he need to use his own creativity. I kinda blurted out that Ponga would add a dozen tries to our attack just by doing that. Even as I was saying it, I felt like I was overstating it. Reading your synopsis above and thinking about it further, I think i was close to the mark first time round. Ponga will be so much more effective this year.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

11. Billy

The first thing O'Brien said about the team was that Ponga would play fullback.
    I thought it was curious that he would not take time to look at all his options, but after thinking about it, O'Brien must have spent a lot of time working on strategies to use Slater well in attack, and he would relish the chance to use those strategies, and Ponga is maybe the only young guy in the game who could pull that off.
    In short, I think O'Brien's number 1 priority will be to make Ponga into a constant attacking threat from the back.

12. Lord of the Skraelings

Can honestly say I had to think a few moments before remembering posting this, no more red wine on top of beer is all I am saying!

13. Lord of the Skraelings

Also the amount of faith in Obi is laughable, I am sorry but the bloke comes from good systems and like any new coach talks a good speak, BUT he has proven nothing I'll wait until the end of the season before I judge and enjoy the meltdowns from those who have already dubbed him the next big thing in NRL coaching.

Don't let me down slots!

Damo Levy likes this.
  14. Owey

Owey Max Chapman

He has a lot of work to do when we don't have the ball as well, something both Slater and now Teddy have grown in to. It will be a real test of his motor. I back him to come through though.

15. Owey

Owey Max Chapman

I understand what you are saying. I'm one of the ones who has a massive rap on Obi. I really think that with finances, juniors, the current squad and new coach, we are on the edge of a really strong era. I'm hoping Obi is here in ten years with a reputation like Bellyaches. A lot can happen, a lot can go wrong, but being strong financially and having juniors pushing through is a strong base that we haven't had for so long.

16. Lord of the Skraelings

Never been anything other than an assistant, hey I hope he kills it, but fair dinks people's lets wait til he coach's a game first?

Still_Nutty, Damo Levy and Kurriboy like this.
  17. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Timana Tahu

A lot of optimism in this thread after the debacle that was last season. Personally I'm not letting myself get remotely optimistic about this season until I see some results, changes to how we attack and defend, changes to how we put pressure on their kickers at the end of sets which we have practically abandoned, and changes to how we defend.

I'm sick of hearing how the squad has had the best off season, this off season has been the hardest in years, that they are focusing on defence and blah blah blah. I'm also sick of hearing how the Safs are going to have a big year this season, I'll believe it when I see it but my opinion is they are lazy and doing enough to keep them in 1st grade. Dsaf didn't deserve the NSW jersey he got last year and if he uses last seasons performances as his yardstick he is in trouble. Klem absolutely embarrassed the rest of the pack last year.

Ponga simply has to change his game as in his first season with us, everyone was gaga over his skills, that jink he puts on to get outside his man, the floating cut out pass and the short ball to Fitz were his complete bag of tricks. The following year he used that same bag of tricks and was no where near as effective. He just can't keep doing the same thing and expecting opposition teams to fall for it again and again.

Teams are starting to hunt the floating cut out pass for an intercept and the fitz short ball for a try is non existent now.

18. Billy

The first real test of whether O'Brien has got wide support from the playing group will be how the players show up after the Christmas break.
    We are told they showed up very fit for the start of the pre season and that they have been training hard, but if they all sat on the couch drinking beer and watching cricket for the last 2 weeks it won't mean much.
    We probably won't hear much if they aren't in good shape, but O'Brien should get a fair idea of who is serious and who is not.

19. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    Looking at Instagram Pearce's been in the gym in New York, Ponga and Watson have been with Heighington, Sione,Herman,Hunt all look to have been doing some running.

20. Lord of the Skraelings

They've been with Heighington as in Chris? Sup with that?