Hymel Hunt re-signs until the end of 2021

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by rhugh89, Nov 4, 2019.

1. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Hymel Hunt inks new Knights deal

Newcastle Knights
    Mon 4 Nov 2019, 05:59 PM

The nib Newcastle Knights are pleased to announce that Hymel Hunt has re-signed for a further two seasons.

This means the 25-year-old is secured until at least the end of season 2021.

Director of Football, Brian Canavan said the new deal is well deserved.

“We have to admire that he’s played every game and several positions,” Canavan said.

“Hymel has been a great contributor to team harmony, performance and wider Club life. The future is very bright for Hymel at the Knights.”

A Redcliffe Dolphins junior, Hunt joined the Knights last season from South Sydney and immediately found a home in the regular first-grade squad.

Able to play centre or wing, Hunt’s new contract is a well-earned reward for the player who made his Test debut for Samoa this year.

“I’m at home in Newcastle and love the Club,” Hunt said.

“The Club took a chance in bringing me in and I feel I have rewarded them with some good football and that has ultimately turned in a reward for me.

“With my future sorted for another two years, I have stability.

“While the 2019 season didn’t produce the results we’d hoped for as a playing group, I had some personal success with playing representative football. We also have some talented young boys coming through the ranks and representative level players at the club.

“With a new coach and new coaching staff, I’m genuinely excited for what next season holds.”

Hunt started his NRL career with the Gold Coast in 2013 where he made his first-grade debut before moving to Melbourne.

Hunt played three top grade games for the Storm before linking with the Rabbitohs in 2016 where he made 43 appearances over three seasons.

Since joining the Knights, Hunt has clocked up his 50-game milestone for a career tally of over 71 games.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2019/11/04/hymel-hunt-inks-new-knights-deal

2. Owey

Owey Scott Seamer

Thoroughly deserved, I'm glad we are going to look after blokes like this.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

3. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I hope we didn't pay too much for him.
    He is a competent firstgrader and deserves a mid range contract, but no better than that.

knightime likes this.
  4. krustykraz

krustykraz Todd Bates

Great re-signing.
    I'm keen to see how he goes next season after beefing up a bit.

5. knightime

knightime Jason Hoogerworf

With a bit of size, wonder if he might get a run in the back row at some point. We need more outside backs though. Good to hear he's staying.

6. Hughburt6

Hughburt6 Rod Shoesmith

Why does everyone want to put a good centre into the back row?
    Why can’t they just play centre?

7. knightime

knightime Jason Hoogerworf

Who's everyone? If the coach thinks he's best suited to centre then good times.

8. Owey

Owey Scott Seamer

If he retains the mobility to play centre then good times

9. Owey

Owey Scott Seamer

Same goes for Best, I hope he is a centre long term

knightime likes this.
  10. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Hard to say where Best will end up.
    He is the current NSW under 18s fullback and had at least 1 game for Australian schoolboys at fullback, but he has also played wing, centre, second row and apparently 5/8 before he joined the Knights.
    He is only 18 and could have played SG Ball this year, so he might end up 20kg heavier and playing prop forward before he is in his mid 20s.

11. Owey

Owey Scott Seamer

I fully understand that, and it will.come done to mobility. I'm hoping he retains the mobility to stay at centre for half a decade at least.

12. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

I want blokes who want to be here and want to play here, Hunt is one of those guys. And I don't think his manager is Isaac Moses so he isn't going to demand a release for more money with another team mid-contract.

13. EASBay17

EASBay17 Daniel Abraham

his manager is isaac moses, well he was when he signed his first contract with us

14. Ethan

Ethan Ben Kennedy

Imo Hunt was one of our best and most consistant players and for the money he was on was probably our best buy per dollar.
    He is a big boy at 6'3" and 104kg now he has added 5kg to his frame, he does very little wrong he hits hard and runs hard .
    Centre's his spot and he could be there for a long time he's only 24 or 25 he has 5 good years at centre yet .
    Apparently he loves it in Newy and if he keeps playing like he is with that little bit of improvement each year , he imo will be the long term solution for one centre spot .
    Now to get a talented long term solution for the other Centre spot . I don't think Moga will be re-signed even if he has a blinder next season .
    Best didn't look out of place at centre although his defence wasn't quite as good as his attack but that will come as he plays 1sts .
    I wonder if Wests and Obrien have talked about Latrell Mitchell. I read they haven't made him an offer but that doesn't mean they wont.
    Mitchell can make a few mistakes but he can also win you games $800,000 or more is a lot of money BUT he does things on the footy field that not a lot of others could do .
    If we got him.... Where would YOU play him …. Imo centre is his spot but he has the talent and size to be a good 6 in attack and defence .

Wobbles likes this.
  15. Ethan

Ethan Ben Kennedy

OOPS just remembered the Latrell thread lol

16. Ethan

Ethan Ben Kennedy

Hunt is happy to trade edges if that allows Bradman Best to settle into the backline. Kinda sounds like he thinks that's who the other centre will be , he didn't mention Moga .

17. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Best was being picked ahead of Moga even when he was fit. It's pretty clear Moga fell behind in the pecking order. Although clean slate for everyone this coming pre-season, new coach so it's anybody's game now.

18. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Sean Rudder

Hunt said he has played a bit of right centre before so is happy to swap, at this stage Moga or Best for left side.

19. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

Where does it say who he is represented by? I would have thought Wikipedia would have that sort of stuff. You even have to dig around, just typing who is his agent doesnt have much.

20. EASBay17

EASBay17 Daniel Abraham