Holden Cup Finals: Week 1- Newcastle Knights v St George Illawarra Dragons

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Lower Grades' started by Junior11, Sep 8, 2014.

1. listo

listo Aaron Grainger

I thought Boyce & Taylor were pretty good today?

- - - Updated - - -

I like Tapine in the second row too...

2. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

For a while it's been obvious that we go better when the bench forwards come on. Yates and Boyce are great workers and all, but we look much stronger when the big boys go out.

3. avdulla

avdulla Matt Hilder

we def need to go with our biggest, best and most dangerous for next week. do or die so its all on the line now...

4. Billy

You probably won't agree, but I'd start with Taylor at prop. I thought he had his best game since his injury today and against the Warriors he should be ready for the game of his life. He has a lot to prove against the guys he led last year.
    I think I'd start with

8 Taylor
    9 Levi
    10 Togiatasi
    11 Fitzgibbon
    12 Pondekas
    13 Tapine
    and tell them to go as hard as they can for as long as they can and bring on Yates and Petersen Robati as soon as they slow down at all.

5. avdulla

avdulla Matt Hilder

i dont mind the look of that, although i still may stick with yates for solidarity early on rather than taylor. i reckon togatasi deserves a chance in the run on team. with tapine, pride, pondekas and fitz, they can all play long minutes so i would tend to leave them on as long as possible as they all work hard and have points in them.

6. Junior11

Junior11 Moderator Moderator

Agreed about Taylor starting. He's really not that great but I think he'd fire up for this and lay a good platform. And Boyce really stinks up our forward pack. Get Pride/Pondekas/Tapine/Yates in at lock.

7. mattam10

mattam10 Chris Houston

It was a good game to watch, I recon it'll be a newcastle and dragons grand final. If dragons had beaten us in the last round match depending on the score they would've finished 1st or 2nd, so they're an equal team to us.

8. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Well that is just what we needed... As a team going into this game as minor premiers and apparently full strength we shouldn't have lost given our form all year.

9. Billy

I don't think they are even close.
    It was one of those games where the possession went 60/40 against us and we just couldn't catch a break from the ref or the bounce of the ball. Most NYC teams lose those games by 40 but our defence and the fact that we used what little ball we had meant we could have won that game in the last few minutes.
    If the football gods had smiled on us as much as it did them in that game we'd have won by 30 or 40.

10. mattam10

mattam10 Chris Houston

Yeah now that you say it like that, yeah I agree the dragons did get lucky with all their possession and calls going for them.

11. Billy

Apparently Sione hyper extended his elbow and missed a lot of tackles during the game, but is expected to play against the Warriors.
    Tapine should play too.

12. JoshW21

JoshW21 #RiseForAlex

Sports Trainer/Coach
    Will be a tough test against the Warriors they always seem to play very well during the finals and especially if we play like we did yesterday

13. Billy

Our last game against them we let them get out to a 14-0 lead and had to run them down, and they got very aggressive as their lead slipped away.
    The team won't get away without a lot of bumps and bruises, which is what we don't need now, but I think we have them well covered for fitness and skill, and should win.