Greg Smith

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by jamesgould, Sep 9, 2015.

1. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Who saw the interview on Sterlo? Great stuff. Seems like a top guy.

2. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Warren Ryan basically said several times that he had to get rid of him because he lied about his past, but thought he had a lot of potential, which is why he kept him through an entire pre season.
    It would have been interesting to see how he went if they had kept him on.

3. jamesgould

I remember you always rated him from his NSW Cup performances at the time.

He seemed pretty adamant that he didn't lie about anything in he interview.

4. jamesgould

Here it is, proof that he was telling the truth: http://media.philadelphiaeagles.com/media/146405/1996_personnel-moves.pdf

Signed 26 April, 1996, released 22 August, 1996. Exactly like he described in the interview.

He didn't actually play NFL or make the final squad (but I doubt he claimed that) but did play for the Philadelphia Eagles in the pre-season, just like Hayne has been playing for the 49ers recently.

5. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Shut the book on a black page James. It was a scream at the time however!

Personally I felt sorry for the poor guy out there.

6. Gunner

Gunner Up The Knights

[video=youtube;w86_RdyqMdo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w86_RdyqMdo[/video]

7. PC1968

PC1968 Gavin Hanrahan

Just another Young Bloke taking opportunities that were offered to him & doing his best with it.

Now he is an Older Bloke who has gained experiences in his life that he never would have had if he didn't have a go way back then to make the most of the opportunities that were given at the time.

Some of these experiences will hopefully see him live a long life full of interesting achievements, memories & relationships.

It sounds like his attitude to life & his outlook when reflecting on the events of his past in general is already rewarding him with this.

“Don't you ever get the feeling that all your life is going by and you're not taking advantage of it? Do you realize you've lived nearly half the time you have to live already?”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

“Do more than belong: participate. Do more than care: help. Do more than believe: practice. Do more than be fair: be kind. Do more than forgive: forget. Do more than dream: work.”
    ― William Arthur Ward

8. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    At least he did give it a go. Interesting his work with sprinters up to and including Olympic Games level.

9. Ethan

Ethan Ben Kennedy

I remember him playing for us he was fast that's for sure and I seem to remember another NFL player trying league I think for the eels (could be wrong though) as a forward but he only lasted a couple of training sessions I think .

10. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Interesting to watch, can't believe they decided to track him down & do a story on him, didn't think he'd be relevant enough to the general rugby league community.

From what has been written, I always just thought he was a random American who turned up one day, said he was an NFL player & then went straight into the side. I did think it was a bit bizarre that this could even happen, even for 1999. But he actually had been playing a bit of league in Sydney for a while, was taken up to Newastle, did a pre-season, trials & played reserve grade, they knew his capabilities & his background & after scoring a few tries & injuries to the backline, he was given a go.

11. jamesgould

Yeah it really was a huge injury crisis at the start of that year, a lot of players getting one or two week injuries.

12. Jekk

Jekk Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Baublier
    Yeh me too - I was very disappointed to find out it wasn't at all like that :lol: