General Soccer Discussion / A-League

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by Theknightsrule7, May 2, 2008.

1. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

[video=youtube;BH9nh88BDLw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH9nh88BDLw&feature=g-wl[/video]

2. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Haha ... seems like a lot of effort though, when he could have just caught it!

3. josh2010

josh2010 Up The Knights!!!!! Staff Member Moderator

Hahahaha Just wanted his 15 minutes of fame :lol:

4. Theknightsrule7

Theknightsrule7 Matthew Gidley

Looking for work
    At least we remained fairly competitive.

5. Theknightsrule7

Looking for work
    We were pretty good yesterday, we marched from the commercial hotel (which is across the road from parramatta station) all the way to parramatta stadium singing. We were even louder after the game heading back to parramatta station it was an incredible experience for an away game. I'll have to get a video up if I can find one.

6. Theknightsrule7

Looking for work
  7. turtonrd

turtonrd Dave Woods

Finally was able to go to a Jets game today, and they produce their worst performance of the season and get done 3-0. Went to about half a dozen games last season and I'm fairly sure their best result in those was a 1-1 draw. I'm not saying that I'm a curse, but....

8. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Wellington!!!!! :p

9. Theknightsrule7

Looking for work
    Highlight was the pitch invader coming from straight from bay 2 in the squadron after the 3rd goal i believe. Somehow even down 3-0 didn't stop us singing in bay 2 so overall the afternoon wasn't too bad.

They let everyone on the field afterwards and decided to score a goal with a ball that was on the field which kinda curved into the goal from a couple meters to the side of the net.

Then dived as a celebration. I also got a photo with Mel McLaughlin (who's the attractive fox sports commentator)

I'll be watching them play in Melbourne this weekend then Brisbane the following weekend, so should be some fun away trips.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  10. bigdan

bigdan Red, Blue & Gold 24/7/365

Teacher
    At 2-0 I thought we were buggered. Great comeback to draw 3-3.

11. Theknightsrule7

Looking for work
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  12. relicorange94

relicorange94 Clinton O'Brien

Mai-Wel
    Should Gary Van Egmond be Sacked?

On the back of Last night's humiliation, I have been at a loss at what is wrong with our team. Our team looks good on paper but Gary Van Egmond makes the poorest decisions, Like he puts Goodwin on the Bench and doesn't let Bridges play. Since there are people on the Newcastle Jets Facebook page wanting GVE's head i have to ask the question?

SHOULD GARY VAN EGMOND BE SACKED???

‚Äč

13. Theknightsrule7

Looking for work
    Watched the game at wests new lambton in the chocolate bar with a core of the squadron diehards (active supporters at jets games). Pretty much all of them want gve out, 2 very easy goals given away, heskey isn't getting any service.

I fear we might be in for a similar scoreline next weekend.

14. bigdan

bigdan Red, Blue & Gold 24/7/365

Teacher
    The problem I see is that they are relying too much on Heskey up front, where he is much more of a provider. Also, keeping Goodwin on the bench is not a good idea - he needs to start.

They need a decent striker that Heskey can feed.

15. Joel

Joel Touche...

Goodwin playing from the bench is his worst decision thus far. If he does it again I'd honestly question why he is still coaching us, in a nutshell he is our teams future.

16. Theknightsrule7

Looking for work
    Cannot believe Sydney won 7-1, del piero scored 4 times.

F3 derby was abitta fun yesterday, shame the knights don't take numbers like that to Sydney away games.

17. Theknightsrule7

Looking for work
    Trekking out to campbelltown to watch the jets play 2moz night, should be good as I haven't visited that ground since 2009.

18. relicorange94

relicorange94 Clinton O'Brien

Mai-Wel
    644472_295702197226344_1463901552_n.jpg

Anyone Got Ernie Merrick's number because Gary Van Egmond is expected to be sacked after the Jets missed out on the finals for the third time in a row yesterday!

19. Theknightsrule7

Looking for work
    [​IMG]

Pretty large away fans there last night

20. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Other Codes should be worried - David Gallop

Football Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop says his code has surpassed cricket in popularity

By Dean Ritchie
    Daily Telegraph
    April 23, 2013 12 :00am

[​IMG]
    Football Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop in Sydney yesterday. Picture: Bob Barker Source: The Daily Telegraph

FOOTBALL Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop yesterday made the shock revelation that his burgeoning sport had surpassed cricket in popularity before warning rival codes, including rugby league, that "football is only going to get bigger and bigger in this country".

"There is no doubt rival codes are already concerned about football," Gallop said.
    In this candid sit-down interview, Gallop also revealed 26 fans had copped five-year bans from A-League games for throwing flares and took a veiled shot at the plans of new NRL CEO Dave Smith to introduce jumping castles at matches.

RITCHIE: After decades in the doldrums, has football finally become a mainstream Australian sport?

GALLOP: This has definitely been a breakthrough season for the A-League due to a number of factors. Clearly one of those is the signing and the subsequent on-field performance of the three marquee players (Alessandro Del Piero, Emile Heskey and Shinji Ono). These guys came with big reputations and lived up to them. Another factor has been the Wanderers' momentum, which has been quite extraordinary. All-in-all, we have broken through into the mainstream of Australian sport.

RITCHIE: Should rival codes be concerned about football's growth?

GALLOP: There is no doubt rival codes are already concerned about football. Football is the only game that can truly represent Australia in all its diversity and multiculturalism. Football is the only true international game. The base of the pyramid at 1.7 million participants is more than a threat, it's a reality for our opposition.

RITCHIE: Has the A-League swooped past cricket as Australia's No. 1 summer sport?

GALLOP: In the 18-34 male demographic bracket, our research says we overtook cricket this summer. The importance of that age group is that these are young missionaries for the sport - going to games, watching it on TV, buying replica shirts, talking about the game on social media. They are the future business leaders of the country and, indeed, are the future fathers of kids in Australia.

RITCHIE: That's a massive achievement given how popular cricket was just a few years ago.

GALLOP: Our game has a connection to countries where many Australians and their families came from and remains a constant for many cultural communities. Kids play football as they have for many years but now they have a competition with heroes to look up to.

RITCHIE: Can football potentially go past rugby league in popularity?

GALLOP: As the world gets smaller, football gets bigger. Football is only going to get bigger and bigger in this country.

RITCHIE: You didn't answer my question, David.

GALLOP: The others codes are very well established but there's no doubt football has the biggest growth opportunity.

RITCHIE: Great stuff, but let's not gloss over some serious issues. What about fans on Sunday chanting through the national anthem.

GALLOP: Clearly, we expect people to respect the national anthem and would hope that the active supporter groups self-regulate their people in relation to that kind of behaviour.

RITCHIE: Flares. They are un-Australian. What have you done to ban them?

GALLOP: Nationally this season we have banned 26 people (five in NSW) for incidents related to flares. They have received bans of five years. It's inappropriate and unnecessary to let off flares inside stadiums. When we can identify the perpetrators, we will ban them.

RITCHIE: Did you see photos on social media of the smashed seats at Allianz Stadium?

GALLOP: I haven't actually seen the photos but we've had our people out at the SFS this afternoon. While the atmosphere was sensational on Sunday, it's unacceptable for there to be damage in the stadium.

RITCHIE: What do you make of Dave Smith's performance so far?

GALLOP: It's not my place to assess Dave's performance.

RITCHIE: Well, what about Smith's desire to see more jumping castles at grounds?

GALLOP: In my view, rugby league's selling point is the intensity of the game and the skill of its players.

RITCHIE: Did you chuckle yesterday when the A-League attracted 43,000 fans while the City-Country rep game drew just 4500?

GALLOP: Our focus is on football and our focus was on making Sunday a spectacular celebration of the eighth season of the A-League.

RITCHIE: Were you still surprised at the poor City-Country crowd?

GALLOP: My focus is on football now, not rugby league.

RITCHIE: Should Parramatta fear the Wanderers?

GALLOP: What the Wanderers have created is unprecedented not only in Australian sport but in world sport. To see that level of engagement after 12 months is quite staggering and certainly it's something the other codes in western Sydney can't ignore.

RITCHIE: Would you ever return to rugby league?

GALLOP: I am very proud of the resurgence rugby league went through over the past decade and I will continue to wish it well.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...et-in-popularity/story-fndb5nmd-1226626174695

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013