English lads

Fairclough92

David Boyd
Hi guys

Just asking what your opinion of the 2 lads you signed from castleford and huddersfield. Have they played any games for you yet or do you think they will be project signings.

Bailey hodgson - lost of big things were expected from him as he was the main player in the academy for cass last season but only played once in a game were cass put out all their young lads due to playing 3 games in 10 day, lots of people were disapointed that he chose to leave super league with establishing himself first

Dom young - the whole of england was shocked that an aussie team even approached him, he was 4th/5th choice winger in a very poor huddersfield team. Became known as a knock on machine and a bit clumsey on the pitch especially trying to catch a ball from a kick. Was ooc and huddersfield didnt even offer him a contract so we all thought he was destined for the championship

Hope both of these player really push themselves and become regular first teamers especially hodgson, a real live wire in attack just his size let him down im defence.

Best of luck to you guys for the rest of the season. As an avid st helens fan always kept an eye out on the knights since we signed matt gidley (btw he was an awesome player not many players could fill jamie lyons boots but he sure did)

Hodgson has been injured since he got here. I think he was reviewed by our medical staff and needed surgery to repair previous surgery - so hasn't played at all. people are impressed with his attitude though.

Dom Young has made every post a winner, trained really well and kept up with some very talented young players we have, played really well in 2 trials and the first reserve grade game, and wasn't terrible in his game of firstgrade last week. He has been dropped this week, but has been retained in extended squad and is being groomed for the future. He needs to get fitter and needs to improve his ball security, but is very close to forcing his way into the side.

Hodgson has been injured since he got here. I think he was reviewed by our medical staff and needed surgery to repair previous surgery - so hasn't played at all. people are impressed with his attitude though.

Dom Young has made every post a winner, trained really well and kept up with some very talented young players we have, played really well in 2 trials and the first reserve grade game, and wasn't terrible in his game of firstgrade last week. He has been dropped this week, but has been retained in extended squad and is being groomed for the future. He needs to get fitter and needs to improve his ball security, but is very close to forcing his way into the side.
What position has young been playing. He player wing a few time last 2 years for hudds but in their academy he was a center

I think Young is a touch lazy as well, just from watching him last weekend. Could be lacking in fitness or just a little out of his depth with his first nrl game.

Not in attack mind you, just picking up on a few things in the defensive line.

I think the traits of concern that followed Dom from the UK have arrived in OZ. Great attack with the ball in hand but extremely fragile in defense and under a high ball. In my opinion he has always played well below his size, needs to grow a bigger heart and stop being so shy, maybe lack of confidence? Plays well in NSW Cup, is this where he sits?

Hodgson, as said injured at Cas during his debut I believe and has been in rehab since op in January. Agreed, I lived in the UK for a while and have plenty of pals in Yorkshire and this kids suppose to be a special one. 5 NRL Clubs offered him didn't they, along with top 5 ESL clubs. I know SL as a whole was very gutted to lose him as he was looked on a key player of the future. When he left many players wished him well with big wraps and over in the UK he is still being branded as England's future FB. Massive wraps for the 18 year old, looks like he'll have a huge future here. Suggested he'll be FB 2022/23 with Ponga switching to the halves?

Wow !! Finally approved to post WTF only been waiting 6 months

I live in the UK and am now a Knights Fan as I'm a huge Hodgson fan, cant wait to see him develop, was always destined for the NRL!

Watched the kid play Scholarship u16's and then followed him go straight to first team at 16, played year above for England and got MOTM. Kids a future star of the game.

Dom, shocked but wish the kid well.

T

Hi guys

Just asking what your opinion of the 2 lads you signed from castleford and huddersfield. Have they played any games for you yet or do you think they will be project signings.

Bailey hodgson - lost of big things were expected from him as he was the main player in the academy for cass last season but only played once in a game were cass put out all their young lads due to playing 3 games in 10 day, lots of people were disapointed that he chose to leave super league with establishing himself first

Dom young - the whole of england was shocked that an aussie team even approached him, he was 4th/5th choice winger in a very poor huddersfield team. Became known as a knock on machine and a bit clumsey on the pitch especially trying to catch a ball from a kick. Was ooc and huddersfield didnt even offer him a contract so we all thought he was destined for the championship

Hope both of these player really push themselves and become regular first teamers especially hodgson, a real live wire in attack just his size let him down im defence.

Best of luck to you guys for the rest of the season. As an avid st helens fan always kept an eye out on the knights since we signed matt gidley (btw he was an awesome player not many players could fill jamie lyons boots but he sure did)
Agree about Hodgson's size at the time but bare in mind kid was just 16/17 thrown in to play against men, stacks of growing to do and lets be honest you've got the smallest guy in the NRL right now playing the best footy in Ryan Paps from Storm, think he only weights in at early 80kgs !

Glad that hodgson is getting the rep he deserves. When he is ready to step up im sure he will do you guys proud. Cass were gutted they lost him

Glad that hodgson is getting the rep he deserves. When he is ready to step up im sure he will do you guys proud. Cass were gutted they lost him
If rumours are true a few of the big boys came in for Hodgson to try keep him in the UK and in SL. Cas threw everything they could at him but I think he was always NRL bound. Raiders offered him a lovely deal too by all accounts?

If rumours are true a few of the big boys came in for Hodgson to try keep him in the UK and in SL. Cas threw everything they could at him but I think he was always NRL bound. Raiders offered him a lovely deal too by all accounts?
Heard the same myself.

Hard to say no to an opportunity to see if you can cut it in the NRL. Especially for a young bloke. Adventure and all that.

Good on them for taking the plunge, it's a bit of a shame when these promising young players are ditching the English comp en-masse though.

Good on them for taking the plunge, it's a bit of a shame when these promising young players are ditching the English comp en-masse though.
The problem we have in england is that league is a dwindling sport all the money over here goes straight into football and then 2nd is yawnion. This year they cut our tv money to give to football to help them cover their loss of money due to covid (despute the fact rl player all took a pay cut last year to see that clubs survived) The future or english rl is really dark.

So for a young lad coming through they cannot gaurentee they will have a 15 year career over here so some see that going over to OZ is their only option to secure a career

The problem we have in england is that league is a dwindling sport all the money over here goes straight into football and then 2nd is yawnion. This year they cut our tv money to give to football to help them cover their loss of money due to covid (despute the fact rl player all took a pay cut last year to see that clubs survived) The future or english rl is really dark.

So for a young lad coming through they cannot gaurentee they will have a 15 year career over here so some see that going over to OZ is their only option to secure a career
Think it's safe to say Hodgson has the talent to warrant the interest overseas that he did regardless of the concerns regarding SL in England, but I agree about the state of the game in the UK.

I still find it staggering you don’t have every match televised over there.

Back