Dylan Walker charged over domestic violence allegation

Discussion in 'General Rugby League' started by rhugh89, Dec 7, 2018.

  1. rhugh89

    rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2012
    Posts:
    25,892
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Brisbane
    Dylan Walker charged over domestic violence allegation


    Margie McDonald Senior Reporter
    Fri 7 Dec 2018, 08:22 AM



    The NRL Integrity Unit has been informed by the Manly Sea Eagles of an alleged domestic violence incident involving former Test centre Dylan Walker and his partner at Dee Why in Sydney's northern beaches on Thursday afternoon.

    Walker has been charged with common assault and assault occasioning actual bodily harm. The 24-year-old has been bailed to appear in Manly Local Court on December 11.

    Speaking on Friday morning, Manly CEO Lyall Gorman said Walker won't be required to attend training ahead of his next court appearance.

    Gorman said it was "too early to say" if Walker would be in a Sea Eagles jersey in 2019 – the last year of a four-year contract he signed in late 2015.

    "It's too early to say what the consequences of this are but clearly it's a very serious allegation," Gorman said.

    "But let's allow the legal process to happen..... and I haven't even seen the statement of facts from the police yet. After that I can make more comment but in the interim he is not required to come to training."

    But Gorman said he had spoken to the NRL's Integrity Unit in general terms of what the league's expectations might be around penalties for players caught up in these situations.

    ''In speaking to the Integrity Unit this morning, it depends on the allegations and what the clear evidence is at a given time," he said.

    "There has been precedent in the game where players have been allowed to go the full legal process before sanctions occur.

    ''Speaking to the integrity Unit this morning ... if the facts and evidence are so strong and so clear action can be taken earlier."

    Manly has also reached out to Walker's partner and mother of their six-month-old son.

    "We want to make sure we look after her welfare and the welfare of her young baby. She's in good care with her mum and dad," Gorman said.

    "We're extremely disappointed on behalf of the club. Allegations around domestic violence, of course, are totally foreign to our culture and our values, as of course they are to the game of rugby league as a whole.

    "We all know the strong views around domestic violence of any sort, particularly in relation to females."

    According to a NSW Police statement, ambulance paramedics were called to a home in Dee Why around 5pm on Thursday and treated a 24-year-old woman for minor cuts to her shoulder, leg and feet.

    She was treated at the scene without the need to go to hospital.

    Police from the Northern Beaches Police Area Command then arrested a 24-year-old man who was taken to Manly police station.

    After four hours of questioning, he was charged and then released on bail.

    Walker is off-contract with Manly at the end of 2019. He was the Dally M centre of the year in 2017 after playing 25 games and scoring 13 tries, which helped get Manly to the finals.

    But this year he had several injuries, including six-weeks out with a fractured eye socket after a fight with Melbourne centre Curtis Scott.

    Walker played four Tests for Australia during the 2014 Four Nations tournament, and two Origin games for the NSW Blues in 2016.


    https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/07...er-charged-over-domestic-violence-allegation/
     
  2. rhugh89

    rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2012
    Posts:
    25,892
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Brisbane
  3. rhugh89

    rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2012
    Posts:
    25,892
    Gender:
    Male
    Location:
    Brisbane
    Walker facing deregistration if found guilty of assault


    Brad Walter & Margie McDonald
    Fri 1 Mar 2019, 03:18 PM



    If found guilty of assaulting his partner, Dylan Walker faces the prospect of being deregistered by the NRL.

    It is understood Walker, who was stood down on Friday by the NRL under the new "no-fault stand down policy" by CEO Todd Greenberg, would be unlikely to be allowed to return to the competition following the precedent set in the recent case involving former Cowboys fullback Ben Barba.

    Walker, who has pleaded not guilty, is off contract at the end of 2019 on an annual salary of around $600,000.

    He was not being considered for Manly's final trial game in Gosford this weekend even before Greenberg handed down his penalty to the former Test and NSW Blues centre.

    Walker, 24, has become the second player on serious charges to be suspended under the 'no-fault stand-down' policy, alongside Dragons forward Jack De Belin.

    But Walker is the first where Greenberg used his discretionary powers.

    The Manly player has pleaded not guilty to a charge of assault occasioning actual bodily harm against his partner, which carries a maximum jail term under the NSW Crime Act of five years – or below the 11 years standard the ARL Commission announced on Thursday.

    Walker's assault case was adjourned on Tuesday in Manly Local Court, after a five-hour hearing, until May 10.

    "The NRL stresses that we are making no judgement on his guilt or innocence. That is a matter for the courts," Greenberg said on Friday.

    But it now means Walker cannot play until his court case finishes.

    Wests Tigers recruit Zane Musgrove is also sidelined indefinitely after the NRL refused to register his contract with the club until the outcome of an indecent assault case is determined.

    Musgrove and Penrith lower-grader Liam Coleman were charged over an incident involving a 22-year-old woman at a Sydney nightspot in December. The former South Sydney prop has a court appearance scheduled later this month. Both have pleaded not guilty.

    The decision leaves Musgrove's career in limbo as the Tigers are forced to operate on a salary cap $320,000 per season less than other NRL clubs for the next two years for not disclosing a $639,000 ambassadorship agreement negotiated with Robbie Farah at the same time as a termination deal in 2016.

    Walker played the first half of Manly's 28-22 loss to the Sharks last weekend, even scoring a try which was disallowed due to a forward pass.

    But NRL.com understands Walker was not going to be named to play the Roosters in the Sea Eagles' second trial because coach Des Hasler has decided to play his second-string side and rest his stars.

    Hasler is yet to announce his squad for the game at Central Coast Stadium at 7pm.

    It seems Roosters coach Trent Robinson has adopted the same policy. His side has only eight players with any NRL experience in 2018 – six of them with less than 10 games.

    New recruit Angus Crichton, who played 25 games for the Rabbitohs last year, is the captain as he missed out on the World Club Challenge match through injury.

    Walker's next court date of May 10 is also the date Manly plays the Broncos in Brisbane as part of the NRL's 'Magic Round' at Suncorp Stadium.

    It means the Sea Eagles are without his services for at least the first nine rounds of 2019, depending on the outcome of his legal action.

    The Sea Eagles said they accepted the decision for Walker to not play until his assault charge is resolved in the courts.

    "We accept this decision as part of the NRL's drive to significantly uplift player behaviour and the overall image of the game on and off the field," Sea Eagles CEO Lyall Gorman said.

    "Equally Dylan's welfare is paramount to us and we will continue to provide full support to him and his family.

    "Naturally we are disappointed to lose Dylan from our playing squad.

    "In discussions with the NRL earlier this morning, the club has been advised that a future application for salary cap relief as a result of this stand down will be looked upon favourably.

    "Hopefully this matter will be finalised at the next scheduled hearing date on Friday, May 10.

    "Our club will continue to remain fully focused on delivering the strongest possible performance on and off the field for our members, fans and corporate family for the 2019 season."

    If Walker is found not guilty of assaulting his partner, then the NRL will need to decide the next steps for his playing future.

    The views in this article do not necessarily express the opinions of the NRL, ARLC, NRL clubs or state associations.


    https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/01/manly-accept-nrl-decision-to-stand-down-dylan-walker/
     

Share This Page