Dane Gagai Re-Signs with Knights until 2017

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

That's an interesting thought. I think the club will be desperate to keep Mamo though so I still think they will try & convince him to stay with the fullback position on offer, Sione at centre just like in NYC. Stone just wants Sione in the team right now & it's just easier to play him at fullback right now with Gids' versatility, Stone has also said he thinks Sione is a centre long term.

2. Ven

Ven Brett Shore

A lady I work with, her son grew up with Dane and they are still good mates , I was talking to him about it and he is honestly still undecided. If he goes to Qld there is a lot of bad influences there and he tends to muck up a bit and he knows it, but he does like the thought of being back with his family and cousins. He is leaning towards the knights but does love playing under Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. R_A

R_A Adam Woolnough

i don't know what the bad influences are. The initial reports at the time were that he was late to training a few times and they thought he wasn't taking his footy seriously and sacked him?
    He doesn't seem to have an alcohol problem and with his family there he would surely avoid the party scene having come close to an origin Jersey before?

4. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    Why is so much emphasis placed on U/20's and NSW Cup form when it comes to discussing players ability in first grade ? It's a rough guide at best. Like thinking you've seen the Melbourne Cup winner go around in the Duke Of Norfolk.

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Robbie McCormack

When we signed him a few Broncos supporters were saying stuff like "he'll be a great signing if you can get him off the grog" so it's possible he did have a bit of an issue with the drink/party scene which Griffin was classy enough not to make public.

We've never had an issue with him though so it must not have been anything too severe. He's older now too so he's probably mature enough to get his priorities right.

6. Joel

Joel Touche...

Gracias

Posts that I love to read.

7. R_A

R_A Adam Woolnough

Fair enough if it wasn't made public at the time. And it seems he's been keeping himself clean since then too unless we have done a good job covering things up heh.

I do know for a fact there are people in Brisbane/QLD who go out of their way to catch these guys in trouble. I know Broncos players were harassed by patrons hoping to start a fight and then create headlines and it was the same guys that harassed Bernard Tomic which is why he relocated.

8. sau

sau Richard Clarke

zoo keeper
    Personally if I was gagai I would take the money and stay, Bennett isn't going to be around forever the Broncos cut him loose instead of giving him the help he needed the Knights stood by him and natured him and brought him through the club like he was there own he owes it to newcastle to show loyalty and I've met Dane a few times last year at the Sharks game he stayed on the field and shook the hands of all the kids that approached he took the time to speak to the Knights fans, he loves this club he loves his family unfortunately I think that's what it will come Down too his dad will be telling him to stay for sure

9. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers Banned

If we can ride this form and improve into the season, it definitely won't hurt our chances of resigning him. We're a tight crew of boys now and every player has a real home in this team, if a player like Gags can feel confident that he is resigning with a club which is heading in the same direction as him it will go along way to convincing him to stay. We're probably half a chance here of keeping him long term but he's bloody hot property and the subject of increasing hype -- won't be easy

10. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Spot on Kenny. if we contine to ride high and the Broncs start to suffer some serious form loss, which is like with Benny wanting to punt Thaiday and others, he may very well consider he is better off here. If he makes the Queensland side, his value goes up and up. Hages might be able to pull a minor miracle being in the Origin scene.

11. R_A

R_A Adam Woolnough

Bennett will remind him that he was sacked under the old management and coach in Brisbane and there is a new team that will support him, he will be in his ear in any way, shape or form. We can only do our best to keep him and if that's not good enough and it was about playing under Bennett then so be it. No need to dwell on it any more if he goes and just hope he has a good year for us.

12. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Mamo looked safe as houses under swirling high balls at fullback today.

13. Ethant1992

Ethant1992 Banned

He also got rag dolled every time he ran, he tried to use his speed to much against a 12 man defensive line and just stutters in the same spot and gets pushed backwards, I've got no problem if mamo moves on, he was a star against 18 and 19 year olds but he's just an average player in nsw cup... I love the passion gagai is playing with in 2015 but his defense is absolutely pathetic, two weeks in a row he's been caught out numerous times and seems to take the wrong option every time they go out the back, I think if he does indeed stay which I think he will he needs to be coached on defensive decision making, or given the fullback spot permanently abd sione into centre

14. Insomniac

We know Gags is a terrible defender and it was really obvious yesterday. I'm not talking getting run over by Idris because he was never going to be able to stop someone like that, but he gets turned inside out nearly every time the ball goes that way. Also instead of trying to make a tackle on his line he'll go for the 1%er with the intercept which works like 1 time in 20. To his credit though the arm-grabbing when he does make contact seems to have stopped a fair bit this year.

Aku doesn't really have much idea in defence either. I'd hate to see how many tries would be scored down that corridor if lesser defenders than Scott and Mullen were there.

15. huttriver

huttriver Daniel Saifiti

retired
    When you have a gutless swine like Packer able to return to the NRL after being in prison for a cowardly assault, how can you possibly condemn young players who may get into a bit of strife off-field?

16. Insomniac

Sounds very ominous Gagai is gone based on Barry Toohey's comments in the Tele today. We expected that to be the case but hopefully the club is given some confirmation soon so we can spend the extra 500+k we'll have up our sleeves.

17. Ethant1992

Ethant1992 Banned

Are you able to post the article up here? If gags does indeed go which other centres are coming on the market as I watched pat matautia yesterday in nsw cup and he was very ordinary

18. EASBay17

EASBay17 Chris Mandalidis

Sione straight to centre has to be the answer. No need to buy another centre. If that's the case I'd b happy to give gids another yr

19. Ethant1992

Ethant1992 Banned

Id rather sione at fullback, I think although gidley is playing well it'll be his time to retire at seasons end, and we don't have anyone good enough to play fullback aside from sione..

20. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Pat is two games back after a long layoff with a broken leg. Last week he was outplayed comprehensibly by Chanel, who was the other centre. This week he was a little bit better, but still very unfit and off the pace.
    It will probably be a month, or maybe two, before he is back to his best.
    Tuimavae is in the same boat, although I don't think he broke his leg - just some sort of sprain I think.
    Leg injuries are the worst because you can't do any form of aerobic training or any agility work.
    Both those guys will look a lot better when they get their fitness and speed back.