Cronulla Sharks salary cap breaches

Discussion in 'General Rugby League' started by R_A, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Treadly

Treadly Wayne Richards

As my Dad frequently says.... they are football players, they aren't employed because of their intelligence

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

If there were firstgraders there who didn't get involved, they were on a hiding to nothing.
    If they had got involved, even if trying to calm the situation, they would have been all over the papers the next day and would have had their lives and careers ruined - and now they are getting grief for avoiding getting involved.
    I hope Cronulla sack that big prop Monty Raper from their under 20s - he's the next Klemmer - we could maybe throw him a lifeline.

Tasgirl likes this.
  3. R_A

R_A Darren Albert

Flanagan and the Sharks have released a joint statement today basically stating he's resigning from his post as head coach so the Sharks can focus on 2019 with John Morris or whoever they plan to put there.

He is still planning to appeal his suspension away from all of that.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/21/shane-flanagan-resigns-as-cronulla-sharks-coach/

SMH published another piece reiterating that Flanagan/Sharks ran their own show during the suspension so I have absolutely zero sympathy and hope he has the book thrown at him and isn't involved with a club again.

Lefty and Tasgirl like this.
  4. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Darren Albert

Both coach and club at fault, him for making contact during suspension and them for not taking action to cease the contact/involvement when they knew about it.

5. R_A

R_A Darren Albert

Danny Weidler reporting that Shane Flanagan has been given an extension until next week to appeal his suspension

Not sure why this scum deserves more time to try and prove what we already know that he's a filthy cheater who thinks he's above the rules.

Lefty likes this.
  6. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

The NRL have handed down their sanctions

Shane Flanagan

Former Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks coach Shane Flanagan has had his registration cancelled for breaching the conditions of his 2014 suspension. The NRL will consider any future request to come back to the game on its merits but he will not return in the short term.

The proposed fine of $800,000 on the club for continuing to engage with Mr Flanagan during the period he was banned has been reduced to $500,000 after the club acknowledged and accepted its wrongdoing.

Sharks Salary Cap

The Integrity Unit has uncovered breaches of the salary cap rules over a number of years dating back to 2013. A list of proposed payments to players outside the salary cap was uncovered during the investigation. These did not affect the club’s premiership winning year in 2016.

A breach notice proposing a fine of $750,000 has been issued to the club but $500,000 of this will be suspended because it was the club, led by CEO Barry Russell, which initially self-reported salary cap discrepancies to the NRL.

(This means the club faces total fines of $1.25m ($500,000 suspended) from today’s announcements).

A $707,000 penalty has also been imposed on the club's salary cap to be spread over the 2019 and 2020 seasons ($353,500 per season).

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/01/nrl-announce-sanctions/

7. R_A

R_A Darren Albert

Hilarious, and the salary cap cheating, drug cheating Sharks get off again. All because their CEO reported a $50k suspicious breach payment.

Well at least everyone else who isn't a Sharks fan knows it's a tainted/asterisk premiereship.

Battler likes this.
  8. cowboyman

cowboyman Steve Simpson

Hospitality
    Over the salary cap dating back to 2013 but miraculously were under in 2016 for their premiership season? I don’t buy that for a second :lol:

Battler and R_A like this.
  9. R_A

R_A Darren Albert

About as legitimate as the Roosters being salary cap compliant this decade as well.

10. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Adam Woolnough

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/01...-the-cronulla-sharks-and-wests-tigers-undone/

I thought players didn't know anything about salary cap rorting and "I don't know anything about that stuff, it's left up to my manager. :giggle:

The NRL will never get this stuff under control until the players involved are suspended also. You will then see players making sure, there payments are all above board and under the cap.

11. R_A

R_A Darren Albert

Aside from systematically cheating the salary cap they also had a coach who got away with breaching a suspension then coaching them during their premiership year and not being sanctioned until afterwards which also adds to the controversy

I’m starting to get to the point where I’d be ok with player salaries being made public.

People have been questioning the Sharks salary cap situation for a number of years to it makes sense now that they deliberately cheated the salary cap

12. krustykraz

krustykraz Brett Clements

They also created a company in 2017 to pay 3rd party deals.
    But no wrong doing in 2016 lol

Battler, cowboyman and R_A like this.
  13. R_A

R_A Darren Albert

Paul Kent basically came out and admitted that the Sharks were cheating in 2016 but "compliant" on GF day.
    So basically 2016 is an asterisk, but everyone already knows that.

This is what happens when your boss is a known Sharks fan and won't let the truth come out.

14. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Do any feel the Storm were shafted after the punishment handed to the Sharks?
    I personally think that its one in the same so the Sharks should have 2016 wiped and play for no points in 2019.

15. danknights

danknights Timana Tahu

I know it's hard to hand down penalties but storm were like 3.7 mill over weren't they? Sharks were 500k or was I dreaming that?

16. R_A

R_A Darren Albert

Yes the Storm cheated being millions over a number of years and were rightfully wiped from the record books no one can deny that.

From the reports the Sharks systematically rorted since 2013 I believe and were over a significant amount enough for it to be deemed cheating but no where near as much as the Storm.
    People were questioning their cap situation for years as well even with Gallen on a veterans discount.
    They should be stripped of their title too and it’s the biggest BS they’re not.

Let’s not forget this is just cap cheating, the peptides abuse suspension controversy is a whole other thing
    As well as the coach who basically voided his suspension by communicating with his team and got off Scott free until now

17. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Gallen said he’ll throw away his ring and quit immediately if they’re stripped. Ooh yes fingers crossed. :giggle:

18. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Darren Albert

Cronulla should be stripped, same offence, amount is irrelevant, rob a bank doesn’t matter how much you get it is still the crime., 3mill over or 300k over you are over. Compliant at grand final then what about period prior when over budget, you reaped the rewards with player roster to get to grand final, sorry both just as guilty, no trophy

19. R_A

R_A Darren Albert

The NRL basically don't want a death sentence for the Sharks. They are going back to 2009, 2014 times, except this is 100x worse. Financially, and everything. It's completely unfair that other teams like the Storm and Bulldogs get done and lose points but the Sharks cop as soft a penalty as Manly did.
    The Warriors when they were docked points and fined in 2006 actually self reported their breaches but because it's not the Sharks and because a senior journalist from the largest media corporation in the world isn't a Warriors fan we didn't hear about the "self reporting" 10,000 times like we did with the Sharks. It's ridiculous.

What's to stop Shane Flanagan from not giving a crap and communicating with the club again?

20. R_A

R_A Darren Albert

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...p/news-story/483a2255cae7d50cd44096b39cc00739

Paul Kent has explained how the Cronulla Sharks cheated during their premiership-winning 2016 season, and while agreeing that they weren’t over the cap at the time they held the Provan-Summons Trophy aloft, he said it was only “incompetence” that stopped them from being in that position.
    Speaking on NRL 360, Kent entered into robust debate with colleague Phil Rothfield over the merit of the title triumph.

And while Rothfield maintained the premiership was legitimately won because they did not exceed the cap limit, Kent shook his head in disbelief saying the administration at the time tried to cheat the system.

“They cheated. Their incompetence was why they weren’t over the cap. They tried to cheat and they couldn’t cheat good enough.”

Rothfield looked to compare the Storm and Sharks cases — as Melbourne was of course stripped of two premierships because of salary cap rorting.

“I agree [the Storm were way, way over]... but that doesn’t clear Cronulla,” Kent shot back.

In explaining the Sharks’ systematic rort, Kent compared it to a sprinter taking steroids during the Olympics but being clean at the time the gun goes to start the 100-metres final.

“If the cap that year was $8 million, Cronulla were only spending legally $7.5 million — these are just my figures to make it easy [for the viewers] to understand,” he began.

“They were then cheating by having undisclosed payments of another $300,000-$400,000.

“They were still illegal payments but they didn’t take them over the cap. That should be irreleveant.

“That’s like me saying, ‘Listen did you go to the Olympics and did you take steroids?’, ‘Yes I did, but they were out of my system by the time I lined up for the 100 metres final’.

“It doesn’t matter you still took the drugs... Why’s it ok in rugby league to cheat a little bit?” Kent added.`

Thank god someone is sticking up for the truth, even though personally I think Kent is meh. Then again this is the same Buzz who couldn't prove the photos his guys took of the Bulldogs MM scandal were taken on street level but there is proof the Sharks cheated and he thinks it doesnt count, and the Sharks premiereship is legit :lol: