Congratulations Matt Cecchin...

Still_Nutty

Grant Stuart
Just wanted to say a heart felt congratulations to Matt Cecchin on a stellar career as an NRL Referee and well done to the Dragons and Bunnies for the guard of honour he received.

He was lost to the game for nearly 2 years, after death threats he received over the 2017 World Cup semi final between England and Tonga https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/it...t-cecchin-returns-to-nrl-20190308-p512tc.html

Always considered him as one of the best in the business and we need more referees of his calibre otherwise we don't have a game...good luck in retirement champ :applause::applause::applause:

Just wanted to say a heart felt congratulations to Matt Cecchin on a stellar career as an NRL Referee and well done to the Dragons and Bunnies for the guard of honour he received.

He was lost to the game for nearly 2 years, after death threats he received over the 2017 World Cup semi final between England and Tonga https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/it...t-cecchin-returns-to-nrl-20190308-p512tc.html

Always considered him as one of the best in the business and we need more referees of his calibre otherwise we don't have a game...good luck in retirement champ :applause::applause::applause:

Here here.

Have known Matt for twenty years since he first moved over from Perth after being a sideline touchie for the Perth Reds home games, and whilst he told me he disliked refereeing the Knights, particularly at home after Joey sprayed him, he always made what he believed was the correct decisions and you cannot ask more than that. Remember to err is human, to forgive is divine!

I blame the new avatar mozza for all this aggressiveness. You used to be such a gentleman! 🤬

Last edited:
Wouldn’t be much of a game without refs.

Throughout his career Cecchin would always have been my choice for the big games … not sure what happened that the people in charge didn’t agree, though.

Also a lot of credit to him for being the first on-field match official in the NRL to be openly gay.
Nepotism

it'd be an interesting game though without the refs...for about the first 5 minutes anyway. after that it probably wouldn't be worth watching.

Back