Cogger and Lamb

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Lower Grades' started by Billy, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Jack Cogger and Brock Lamb will be our halves in NYC this week and the game will be on foxsports.
    For those who haven't followed these kids, they have made every rep side possible for the last few years including NSW and Australian sides.
    A few weeks ago they led Combined Catholic Colleges to a national schoolboys title and were both selected for the Australian Schoolboys tour of the UK at the end of the season.
    Lamb played his first full game of NYC last week and was described by team manager Craig Smith as the standout player in a very good team performance by our table topping NYC side.
    Cogger will play his first game of NYC this week.
    These two kids are both locals who are 17 years old and couldn't be more impressive.
    Cogger was our SG Ball player of the year and Carlsen medal winner this year.
    They are very different types of halves, with Cogger being a fast and nippy little guy (like his father) who takes on the line and delivers snappy little passes to support players, while Lamb is a thinking player who sits back a bit and forms plans and gets players running in the right direction etc. He also has a magical kicking game and all the time in the world to make things happen.

I don't know if two kids who have just turned 17 will stamp themselves all over NYC in their first game together, but they will be worth a look, because these are two kids we will hear a lot more about in the next 10 years or so.

2. Junior11

Junior11 Moderator Moderator

Thanks for more insight Billy

These 2 have been getting talked up for years, I see them on the Knights website every time they make the rep sides and I hear nothing but great things from them. I've never seen them play but I'm really looking forward to finally watching them in action.

Hopefully they continue their brilliant combination into the NYC and watch them develop into our NRL halves. They have all the potential in the world by the sounds of it.

3. ASJ82

ASJ82 Todd Bates

Mech Fitter
    And knights will some how let a big Sydney club come in and sign them from us

4. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Simply par for the course ASJ!

5. Billy

We lose very few juniors now.
    Ironically, the best junior we have lost this year is Travis Edwards who topped the point scoring for the SG Ball comp for the Roosters and is now one of their best in NYC.
    He is a very good 5/8 who was never going to get a run for the Knights because Brock Lamb was just as good or better and a year younger.
    We can't keep them all.

6. ASJ82

ASJ82 Todd Bates

Mech Fitter
    As long as we keep the best though billy, is their salary cap work for these kind of players or can you pay them whatever you like?

7. Billy

I don't know if there is a cap on what you can spend, but Tinkler money is why we have Kiwis like Tapine, Levi, Petersen-Robati and Taylor and Queenslanders like Pondekas, Pakau and Feeney. Partly because we can give them decent money, and partly because we are spending the money on staff and facilities to develop their skills.
    In other words, great juniors are coming to us now, because the "high performance unit" that Graham Murray set up is where they can develop best, although I think that unit is more involved with the younger guys like Sione, Cogger and Lamb..

Petersen-Robati was a star player in the Storm system - poached by the Knights
    Togiatasi was a star player in the Roosters system - poached by the Knights
    Feeney was a star player in the Bulldogs system - poached by the Knights
    Pondekas was a star player in the Broncos system - poached by the Knights
    Taylor was a star player in the Warriors system - poached by the Knights.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014