Coaching Puzzle now complete

U23

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
COACHING PUZZLE NOW COMPLETE
By Stephen Mount
newcastleknights.com
Wednesday, 7 October 2009

The Newcastle Knights Board of Directors tonight endorsed recommendations from CEO, Steve Burraston for the following 2010 Coaching Appointments.

• NRL Assistant Coach – Craig Sandercock
(Former Manly Assistant NRL Coach)

• NRL Assistant Coach – Andrew Dunemann
(Former Gold Coast, Cowboys, Souths, Leeds & Salford player and Head Coach of Northern Pride Qld Cup team)

• NYC Head Coach – Garth Brennan
(Former Knights NYC Assistant Coach)

Speaking about the appointments tonight, Head Coach, Rick Stone said he was impressed with the quality of applicants and is looking forward to working with his new team.

“There were some extremely impressive and highly experienced people applying for the positions but unfortunately we could only choose three,” he said.

“We were very impressed with our final three appointees. They have extensive experience in the right areas and understand where we are heading as a club.”

“I’m confident they will offer the qualities we need and suit the style of coaching we are aiming to achieve. I have no doubt we have chosen the right people and I’m looking forward to building our new team of coaches from November when preparations for 2010 begin.”

CEO, Steve Burraston said tonight’s appointments were a mere formality and he has every confidence in Stone’s decision.

“It’s important we give Rick every opportunity to build a quality team of professionals around him to take the club’s on-field success to the next level,” he said.

“The Board and I have every confidence in Rick’s ability to identify the right people for the job and we are impressed with the calibre of people he has attracted to the positions.”

The Board also supported a recommendation to grant assistant NRL Coach, Trent Robinson a release from the final year of his contract following the appointments of Craig Sandercock and Andrew Dunemann.

“We were unable to release Trent before we found a replacement of equal or better quality and we believe we are now in that position,” said Steve Burraston.

“After an extensive interviewing process we offered positions to Craig and Andrew, now allowing Trent to be released to pursue other career opportunities.”

Stone said Robinson leaves with the club’s best wishes after establishing himself as a key member of the Newcastle Knights Coaching Staff during his tenure at the club.

http://newcastleknights.com/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=20666&coaching-puzzle-now-complete

Ok, so most of us were way off the mark on who we wanted...

Tbh i hadnt heard of Craig Sandercock till now & Andrew Dunemann kinder rings a bell.

00004453-image.jpg

Andrew Dunemann

Interesting Article below... Andrew has never known Rick Stone, only to meet him in Brisbane last week.

Dunemann signs Knights coaching deal

Cairns-WebUsual-CP08OCT09P001-CC102895-TRAIN.JPG

THE Northern Pride is on the lookout for a new coach after Andrew Dunemann's move to the Newcastle Knights next season.

Dunemann’s loss is bittersweet for the Pride, which is thrilled for its coach but disappointed to lose the man who has taken the club to the cusp of a Queensland Cup rugby league title in just two
seasons.

A former NRL and English Super League player with clubs including the Cowboys, South Sydney, Canberra and Leeds, Dunemann has worked wonders in his first senior coaching position, taking the Pride to third place last season
before leading it to last month’s Queensland Cup grand final.

The 33-year-old received a call "out of the blue" from Knights coach Rick Stone and was offered a job on the Newcastle coaching staff after meeting him in Brisbane last week.

"I was surprised. I don’t know him or anything like that, it was very unexpected," Dunemann said of the approach from Stone, a former Queensland Cup coach at Burleigh who took over the Knights’ top job from Brian Smith late this season.

"It’s going to be pretty exciting. They’re going to need an assistant (to do) a fair bit," Dunemann said.

"(Stone) has his own ideas that are not negotiable, and that’s the way it should be, but to be developed, you really need to have a hands-on position, and it will be that."

Dunemann re-signed as Pride coach last month but had an NRL get-out clause in his contract.

Regardless of his ambition at the elite level, he said the decision to leave was not easy.

"It’s definitely a tough decision to walk away from here but if you want to get to where you want to be, it’s probably the next step for me."

Dunemann becomes the sixth Pride member to be promoted to NRL level in just two seasons.

Five players – Brett Anderson, Chris Sheppard, Greg Byrnes, Luke Harlen and Tom Humble – have either played NRL games or joined senior NRL programs since the inception of the club while Dunemann graduates from the coaching ranks.

Foundation Pride coach Adrian Lam linked with the Sydney Roosters as an assistant before the club’s first game.

The search for a new coach has already started with chief executive Denis Keeffe saying the club was likely to continue its tradition of promoting fresh talent.

Dunemann leaves the Pride in a strong position for 2010, though, after the signing of several players, including Melbourne Storm squad member Brett Anderson and Titans back Brenton Bowen.

"Whoever comes in to do my role, they’ve been blessed with a great set-up, a great club, a great group of players as well," he said.

http://www.cairns.com.au/images/upl...rns-WebUsual-CP08OCT09P001-CC102895-TRAIN.JPG

Dunemann wasn't much chops as a player ... although it would have been hard being a half in the rubbish sides he was in. His coaching record is pretty impressive, seems like a good pick-up. And an assistant coach from Manly has got to be a good thing.

Well, now Stoney can form the team and methods he wants, and hopefully form his own culture within the club.

Wow, we've really raided the Queensland Cup coaching stocks haha.

I hope Dunemann has the same effect he has had on these blokes:

Players praise Dunemann

dunemann2.gif

NORTHERN Pride teammates at opposite ends of the career spectrum have credited departing coach Andrew Dunemann with making them better rugby league players.

Veteran back-rower Mark Cantoni and hooker Jason Roos both said Dunemann, who on Wednesday announced he was leaving the club to link with NRL outfit Newcastle as an assistant coach, was a positive influence on their
careers.

Pictures: Northern Pride 2009

Cantoni, who has played in England and spent three seasons in the Queensland Cup before returning to the Far North to play with the Pride, said Dunemann was one of the best coaches he had encountered.

"He’s definitely right up there, he’s a very astute and technical coach," he said. "Even at my age, I still learnt a lot from my two years with him.

"I think his strength is in the technical aspects of rugby league and he just knows the game very well. He’s been to a fair few clubs and played under a fair few coaches which has put him in good stead."

Roos agreed it was Dunemann’s football smarts which stood out, saying the former NRL halfback had helped his game immensely since the Mareeba Gladiator made the step up from the Cairns District Rugby League competition last year.

"I’ve learnt a lot of things, coming straight out of the local league," he said.

"Just (from) the professionalism he has brought to the club and to training.

"He made me a better player in attack and defence and showed me what was required as a hooker at this higher
level."

Roos also said Dunemann’s technical prowess stood out.

"He’s a very smart coach, just the way he breaks down the other team and puts together a game plan," he said.

"Everyone knew what their roles were and what was required on the paddock."

Both players said it was disappointing to lose Dunemann from a Pride viewpoint, but wished him all the best in furthering his career.

Despite Dunemann’s departure, Cantoni and Roos were confident their former mentor had left the necessary measures in place to ensure the Pride’s continued success.

"It’s disappointing that he’s going, but he’s been good and, hopefully, the next coach will just continue on from where he left off," Roos said.

"It was his next step he had to take to further his career and we can only wish him all the best for the future."

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2009/10/09/68901_local-sport-news.html

Back