Clint Newton retires

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by jamesgould, Jul 21, 2015.

1. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Clint Newton announces retirement

Tue 21st July, 12:01PM

Newcastle Knights forward Clint Newton announced on Tuesday morning he will retire at season's end.

Newton gathered his teammates together at the conclusion of training to tell them of his decision before talking to the media.

“You just have to trust the timing in your life and for me I feel like I’m contributing to the football team,” he said.

“I’m playing some decent footy so one thing I’m really proud of is what I’ve done and what I’ve achieved and have probably
    exceeded all the expectations I had as a 13-year-old when I started."

Newton made his first grade debut in the red and blue 14 years ago at the age of 19 and has played 105 for the Club with three NRL games this season.

He has also spent stints at the Melbourne Storm, Hull KR and the Penrith Panthers during his career.

“I just think it’s one of those opportunities where I can start a new chapter of my life and enjoy these last few rounds,” he added.

Since re-joining the Knights at the start of the 2014 season, Newton has taken on a mentoring role within the Club offering support and leadership for emerging players.

“I’m really passionate about what I do and get a real kick out of helping people and trying to empower people to do better and be better. I get really happy about that,” Newton said.

“It gives me a great feeling."

It’s not only been the moments on the football field that have proved significant for the veteran forward.

The 34-year-old paid tribute to his teammates and those involved in the Club.

“These blokes mean the world to me,” he said.

“These guys, as well as some fantastic and inspirational people along the way have given me some memories that money can’t buy.

“I’m certainly very grateful for that.”

Newton plays an integral role and offers valuable experience in the NSW Cup Knights and has recently featured in the NRL team providing depth in the pack.

“My number one priority is to do whatever I can for the Club and the players and for myself,” he said.

“If that’s playing first grade, fantastic if it’s for State Cup and leading the next crop of players into hopefully long, distinguished
    careers, then I’ll be proud to do that.

“I want to play first grade, I’m still capable of playing first grade, but at the end of the day you play where you deserve to play and hopefully I’m doing a good enough job to.”

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2015/07/21/clint_newton_announc.html

2. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Pity he and BS fell so heavily he may well have been a one Club player. Biggest moment? When Joey put him over against the pennies to break the drought 2004?

3. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

Thank goodness, shame it's not effective immediately.

4. Treadly

Treadly Rod Shoesmith

Hope he stays around for the juniors, seems to have been a good solid head for new cup since return

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

5. jamesgould

Yep, I think he's been brilliant since he returned. Hasn't let us down in first grade, and by all accounts he seems to have been a great role-model in NSW Cup. Sad to see him go!

6. jamesgould

2005!

Worst moment would have to be the 12 week suspension for a mistimed shoulder charge the year before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

He was considered an inspirational leader for 100 games at Hull KR and he brought that back to the club.
    He is actually older than our NSW cup coach and has 100 times the football experience, so he has had a big role as a leader in our young NSW cup side.
    Tahu did a similar job last year.
    I can see Smith or Housten taking on the role next year.
    It's a good idea to have one or two players who have done everything in the game mentoring the young guys just coming up to firstgrade level.

8. guida91

guida91 Matt Hilder

Laborer
    Best accomplishment, got to date Jennifer Hawkins.

9. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Thanks for your service to our club Clint, I wish you the best of luck in your retirement !!

10. member 2299

Retired
    Hear hear. Let's get over the hate and all move on!

11. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    I can't question his effort. Only watched a game or 2 of NSW Cup and he was probably the best on the field. Has a dig every week.

12. jamesgould

I was his biggest hater when he left the club, and wasn't happy when he came back, but he's changed my opinion of him. I'll miss him!

13. Lefty

Lefty Anthony Quinn

Retired
    I very happy he finished his career at Newcastle. He has been an excellent role model for the young NSW cup forwards last year and this year.

I wish him all the best for his retirement.

14. jamesgould

[MENTION=1882]ragnor[/MENTION], can you please not post allegations of criminal activities against players.

That goes for everyone.

If someone sues this forum then the forum will cease to exist.

15. Mr Goanna

Mr Goanna hung up on the glory days

yeah a good time to go i'd say, still got a bit to offer but don't wanna be standing in the way of the progress of a young tearaway forward. well played Newto.

16. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Buzz reporting that Clint has signed on to play NSW Cup in 2016, It is Buzz so take it with a grain of salt

GOLDEN OLDIE

EVEN at 34, Knights veteran Clint Newton says he’s not ready to retire.

He has signed a new contract to play NSW Cup in 2016.

The Knights like the idea because he sets such a good example for up-and-coming players.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...hts-off-the-mark/story-fnp0lyn3-1227524268185

17. jamesgould

Clint insinuated this when he commented on a photo on our instagram last week, so I'd say it is true. Good idea, he's far from a spent force and can share his experience down there, but isn't needed in first grade.

18. member 2299

Retired
    And it will help him keep in touch with the game for his RLPA duties. Very pleased things worked out smoothly after his leaving in BS days.