Clint Gutherson @ 5/8?

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by krustykraz, Apr 16, 2019.

1. krustykraz

krustykraz Ben MacDougall

Is he worth a look at as our 5/8.
    He is reportedly after 700k and the Eels have offered less which he has rejected.
    I really like the way he plays, all heart.
    He has played plenty of NRL at 5/8 and looked good the couple of times I seen.

Injuries could be an issue though.

Article about him being on the open market.
    https://outline.com/2yLWny

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  2. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Very good player. He’s all effort which isn’t something I can say about many of our players this year.

kurtsux and Lefty like this.
  3. 88Knight4life

88Knight4life Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Could be Gidley 3.0 hahaha

4. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    We already have 2 players who can play out of position at 5/8th in Mann and Watson

Matty23 and slotmachine like this.
  5. Wobbles

Wobbles Michael Eagar

Funniest comment I've seen all day, although it's not quite as funny since it's true :(

6. danknights

danknights Steve Simpson

I really like how gutho competes on every play I'm just not entirely sold on him as a 6. Josh Reynolds on the other hand.

7. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

If we can get Phoenix Crossland up to speed with his defence by July, he is just about ready to play 5/8.
    He is the same age as Lamb, Cogger, Sione and Ponga were when they made firstgrade.
    He has a bigger boot on him than Pearce, is one of the fastest runners at the club, has a great passing game - just can't tackle.

8. The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd

The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd Darren Treacy

Asset Manager
    Sounds like a Brown type player. Get him in.

9. danknights

danknights Steve Simpson

To be fair to Phoenix he doesn't shy away from defence though.

10. Billy

He has a go, but he is pretty easily bumped off by any firstgrade standard forward.
    He's only 18 - he has a while to get up to speed, except for us really needing someone with his other skills right now.

11. danknights

danknights Steve Simpson

He needs to watch cherry Evans and the way he approaches defence. I've notice Daly does a mounting horse/ lasoo style of defence where he uses the forward momentum of the attacker and as they run he grabs onto the shoulders and swings his body around to take out their legs. Very effective for a smaller guy.

12. Jaybro

Jaybro Lenny Beckett

Can't say I'm the biggest Gutho fan, sure he's good but I can understand why Parra aren't offering him 750K

What do people think about Sezer??

Looks like he's days at Raiders are numbered, for me he'd tick a few boxes such as Goal kicking, general play kicking and general direction around the park. Sure he's not really a game breaker type player but as far as halves go I'd say he'd be a 'fair price' and with Ponga and Pearce already there he would compliment them well IMO

13. EASBay17

EASBay17 Paul Rauhihi

id rather us go after a top hooker. a spine of
    ponga pearce and a quality hooker would give us the strength to carry a younger less experienced 5/8 ala crossland imo

14. Jaybro

Jaybro Lenny Beckett

Haven't seen enough of Crossland to make an educated call (although that doesn't seem to stop many people), I have though seen enough of Watson to know he's not a NRL grade 5/8

15. EASBay17

EASBay17 Paul Rauhihi

yer i wasnt meaning him specifically i meant a development/inexperienced half. unless your the roosters you cant really afford to pay big money for all 4 spine positions and i see hooker as a bigger issue for us and given pongas ability to play like a 5/8 anyway.

and to add to the topic of the thread, i cant stand gutherson, comes across as an arrogant wan*er

16. Lord of the Skraelings

Gutho is a great club footballer but will never be a rep footballer, this $750k talk is hilarious.

$600k is the top tier you'd want for a bloke with shakey knee's.

Jaybro likes this.
  17. Billy

Crossland is on a development player contract, so we could use him after July 1st in firstgrade, and most of his stats look better than Lino's. He is averaging 265 kicking metres per game and has kicked nearly 400 metres in a couple of games. In fact, he is second behind Brock Lamb for kicking meters in reserve grade and has played 1 less game.
    The one area letting him down is defence. He misses about 1 in 5 tackles, or nearly 5 per game, and even those he makes don't look very convincing.
    It has to be remembered though that he played under 18s last year and only came into under 20s about halfway through the season, so he's 18 years old with only about 10 games of under 20s behind him.
    It is interesting that he has always been a halfback, but this year he has only been playing 5/8 in reserve grade, and when they rested him from a game a few weeks ago, he spent the week training at 5/8 with the firstgrade squad, so i'd say he is definitely in the mix after July 1.

18. Lord of the Skraelings

Crap at organising and zero spark in attack.

Another project player that would be overpriced and little chance of working out.

19. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Don't think Gutho with two ACL reconstructions is on the menu after Griffin and Moga.

20. Jaybro

Jaybro Lenny Beckett

Funny how people see things so differently

For me Sezer is a limited play maker but has a good kicking game and can do a decent job of steering the side around the park, plus I think for a half with his experienced he'd be fairly cheap around the 600K mark??