Chris Heighington announces his retirement

Discussion in 'Knights Signings, Rumours & Player Movement' started by Lefty, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Lefty

Lefty Anthony Quinn

Retired
    Chris Heighington has announced today that he will retire at the end of the season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Wobbles

Wobbles Keith Beauchamp

Heighington to retire at season’s end

Newcastle Knights
    Tue 31 Jul 2018, 01:28 PM

Chris Heighington will bring down the curtain on his celebrated career at the end of the 2018 season.

With 334 games to his name and rising, the 36-year-old has announced this year will be his last.

"A lot of ex-players told me I would know when it's time, but I haven't felt that feeling yet, but I do know the pre-seasons are long and another year is a big ask," Heighington said.

"I want to go out on my terms. I'm still playing injury free and I don't want to be greedy.

"I could try and continue to play but I risk picking up a bad injury or slipping in form, so I feel it's my time to move over and let one of the young boys come in."

Heighington is the third most capped forward in the history of the game only behind Cameron Smith and Corey Parker and currently the eighth most-capped player overall.

A quality person and teammate, the nib Newcastle Knight will be remembered as one of the great workhorses.

Knights General Manager Football, Darren Mooney, was with Heighington at all three of his NRL Club's and said it's no fluke the forward has reached the heights he has.

"For me, it's no secret Chris has played as many games as he has," Mooney said.

"The way Chris prepares to play and train, along with lifestyle he lives, is the reason why he has spent 16 seasons playing NRL"

"Not only is he a true professional but he's a leader. Chris makes the people around him better. Whether that's on or off the field and that's the greatest compliment you can give."

Having made his first-grade debut for the Tigers in Round 1 of the 2003 season, he won his first NRL title in 2005 under Tim Sheens.

He spent 10 seasons at the joint venture.

During that time, he became an international.

It was 2011 when he was selected for England and would go on to make seven appearances in the red and white jersey including a 2017 World Cup finals appearance.

Moving to Cronulla in 2013, Heighington won his second premiership in 2016.

He made 116 appearances for the club and pulled up his 300th NRL game last year.

"The two premierships are big highlights," Heighington said.

"In 2005 at the Wests Tigers, no one expected us to win it. We weren't one of the rich Club's, but we got on a bit of a roll and we delivered the Wests Tigers thirst premiership.

"It was the same for Cronulla. We weren't expected to win it but we went on a 16-game winning streak and won.

"When you start playing footy, you dream of playing in the NRL but to win a premiership is beyond a dream. I got to do that twice. It was pretty special and something I will remember for the rest of my life."

Heighington joined the Knights this season and has acted as a great mentor to the young forwards earning their stripes.

A tough and uncompromising forward with a strong worth ethic, not only was Heighington an international, but he also represented the PM's XIII, Country NSW and was an NRL All Star.

Chris Heighington

Date of birth: January 14, 1983
    Junior club: Umina Bunnies
    Previous clubs: Wests Tigers, Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks
    Games: 201 for Tigers, 116 for Sharks and 17 for Knights* (and counting)
    Tries: 42
    Premierships: Two (Tigers in 2005, Sharks in 2016)
    Rep honours: Prime Minister's XIII 2 games, NSW Country 2 games, All Stars 1 game, England 7 games.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/07/31/heighington-to-retire-at-seasons-end/

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2018
  3. Simon Templar

Simon Templar Sam Stewart

Project Manager
    Heighno has been putting in for us , but I wish him well.

This really does push the need for an experienced , dominating Prop as priority.

packo and Lefty like this.
  4. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Sean Rudder

Been a very good player and I am sure our younger forwards have learnt from him, at least I hope they have. Wish him all the best for end of season retirement.

5. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Shame we didn't get him the year before can't fault his effort hopefully he sticks around in some capacity.

6. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Really slipped under the radar for most of his career, you wouldn’t think he’d be the third highest capped forward in the history of the game.

packo likes this.
  7. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

Wouldn't have minded him staying on for another year but happy to have him end things on his own terms too. Hopefully his experience and professionalism has rubbed off on the younger guys.

Still_Nutty likes this.
  8. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    Good on him. A fantastic career.

9. Lefty

Lefty Anthony Quinn

Retired
    I'm glad we signed him and I'm also happy he could finish his career with his local team. He can come to old boys day each year for the rest of his life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  10. Still_Nutty

Still_Nutty Ben Rogers

Yep, my sentiments on Heighno too. You can't fault his effort and he never let us down because it was always 110% effort whenever he was on the field.

Between him and Guerra, the young players could not get a better insight into how to prepare and deliver to the best of your ability every week in the grind of the NRL season...and to do it over a sustained period to such a high standard.

This is no sleight on either of the players mentioned above but the challenge now is for this club to attract this calibre of player as they are reaching their prime, not after they have passed their very best.

I genuinely wish him all the best and hope he can play some role for us post football...and, as lefty said, I'm glad he will be now part of the old boys tradition at this club - he definitely reflects and upholds the tough as nails, no nonsense forwards that this club was traditionally known for

Lefty, Battler and Frank McWilliams like this.
  11. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Wobbles and Defender1 like this.