league1_gallery__470x313.jpg

league2_gallery__470x310.jpg

league10_gallery__470x295.jpg

league11_gallery__470x312.jpg

league_main.jpg

andrew_johns_wideweb__470x313,0.jpg

THE TEAM OF THE CENTURY

FULLBACK Clive Churchill
Clubs: Central Newcastle (1946-47), South Sydney ('47-58), Norths Brisbane ('59). Tests: 34.

WINGER Ken Irvine
Clubs: North Sydney ('58-70), Manly ('71-73). Tests: 31.

CENTRE Reg Gasnier
Clubs: St George ('59-67). Tests: 36.

CENTRE Mal Meninga
Clubs: Souths Brisbane ('79-85), St Helens ('84-85), Canberra ('86-94). Tests: 45.

WINGER Brian Bevan
Clubs: Eastern Suburbs ('42-46), Warrington ('45-62), Blackpool Borough ('62-64). Tests: 16 for Other Nationalities.

FIVE-EIGHTH Wally Lewis
Clubs: Brisbane Valleys ('78-83), Wakefield Trinity ('83-84), Wynnum-Manly ('84-87), Brisbane ('88-90), Gold Coast ('91-92). Tests: 33.

HALFBACK Andrew Johns
Clubs: Newcastle ('93-07), Warrington ('05). Tests: 21.

PROP Arthur Beetson
Clubs: Roma Cities ('63), Redcliffe ('64-65, '81), Balmain ('66-70), Hull KR ('68), Eastern Suburbs ('71-78), Parramatta ('79-80). Tests: 14.

HOOKER Noel Kelly
Clubs: Ipswich Brothers ('58-59), Ayr ('60), Western Suburbs ('61-69), Wollongong ('70). Tests: 25.

PROP Duncan Hall
Clubs: Christian Brothers Rockhampton ('45-47), Brisbane Valleys ('48-49), Home Hill ('50), Newtown Toowoomba ('51-52), Brisbane Wests ('54-57). Tests: 22.

SECOND-ROWER Norm Provan
Clubs: St George ('51-65). Tests: 14.

SECOND-ROWER Ron Coote
Clubs: South Sydney ('64-71), Eastern Suburbs ('72-78). Tests: 13.

LOCK John Raper
Clubs: Newtown ('57-58), St George ('59-69), Wests Newcastle ('70-72), Kurri Kurri ('73-74). Tests: 33.

INTERCHANGE Dally Messenger
Clubs: Eastern Suburbs ('08-13). Tests: 7.

Bob Fulton
Clubs: Wests Wollongong ('65), Manly ('66-76), Warrington ('69-70), Eastern Suburbs ('77-79). Tests: 20.

Graeme Langlands
Clubs: Wollongong ('62), St George ('63-76). Tests: 34.

Frank Burge
Clubs: Glebe ('11-23, '26), Grenfell ('23-25), St George ('27). Tests: 13.

COACH Jack Gibson
Clubs coached: Eastern Suburbs ('67-70, '74-76), St George ('71-72), Newtown ('73), South Sydney ('78-79), Parramatta ('81-83), Cronulla ('85-87).

MORE INFO:http://www.centenaryofrugbyleague.c...a-releases/team-of-the-century-announced.aspx

Last edited:
All been updated in the first Post.

viewimages

AN emotional Andrew Johns said rugby league had forgiven him after he was named last night in the game's Team of the Century.

For one of the few times in his stellar career, including his retirement speech a year ago, Johns struggled to contain his composure in front of 800 guests at Sydney's Royal Hall of Industries then later when interviewed by the media.

Johns hoped his inclusion among the best 17 players in league's 100-year history had closed the dramatic chapter he opened last August when he confessed to taking drugs and binge drinking during his career to help him deal with depression and bipolar disorder.

Many of the game's pundits wondered how his place in history would be recorded after those revelations, but Johns, who rated last night's honour above every individual award he had won, said he had moved on.

"A lot of the people in the game have forgiven me, and it felt like tonight that the game had forgiven me, so I'll just keep soldiering on," Johns said.

"I'm rattled. I think you can see I'm physically, visually sort of shaken. It's a special night in my life.

"I was nervous. It's a very big occasion in the game, and also there were some other issues leading into the night.

"It's the most humbling moment of my life. I couldn't be more proud; it's phenomenal."

Johns, who was named in the team alongside another Hunter product, fullback Clive Chruchill, said that as a child growing up in Cessnock he idolised players such as Mal Meninga and Wally Lewis, who were named outside him in the back line, and Allan Langer and Ricky Stuart, whom he beat for the No.7 jersey.

"When you've got Meninga and [Reg] Gasnier outside you, and Lewis, I would have just been firing the ball out to them blokes. The company you're in, these blokes were my heroes growing up," he said.

"It's mind-blowing. You play in this side, I wouldn't have a bruise on me. I wouldn't have a crook knee, a crook neck, a crook back. You look at the talent there, it's phenomenal . . . I just feel numb at the moment. I'm just buzzing."

Johns thanked his many teammates over 15 seasons of first grade with the Knights.

"In my position, I can't do what I can do without all their hard work, so to all the boys out there I played with at Newcastle, thank you very much," he said.

Of nine Newcastle or Hunter products named in the game's Top 100 in February, Johns (Cessnock) and Churchill (Central Newcastle) were the only two to make the final 17. But Western Suburbs and Kurri Kurri are entitled to celebrate the selection of St George Immortal John Raper at lock because he had stints at both clubs Wests from 1970 to '72 and Kurri in '73 and '74.

In one of many contentious selections, a "bewildered" Meninga was named with Immortal Reg Gasnier in the centres, relegating Immortals Bob Fulton and Graeme Langlands and pioneering Dally Messenger to the bench.

Tough nut Noel Kelly, who moved between prop and hooker during his career in the 1950s and '60s, was a controversial selection at hooker ahead of St George great Ian Walsh and modern-day champion Steve Walters.

All seven Immortals were included in the Team of the Century, coached by five-time premiership winner Jack Gibson.

A panel of 28 league experts met in December to choose the side by secret ballot.

Rugby league historian Sean Fagan, a member of the voting panel, said Johns had been judged for his on-field achievements.

"Most judges felt what happened on the field was what mattered. To me, if you looked at off-field issues, he might not have been the only one in trouble," Fagan said.

"Though he had the advantage of defenders playing under the 10-metre rule, Johns had to contend with the difficulties of opponents playing to defensive strategies, full-time professional training and the interchange rule."

Churchill, known as the "Little Master" and described once by Messenger as "The Greatest", was represented last night by his son Rod.

"Considering the calibre of the nominees, it's a great honour," Rod said after receiving a green-and-gold blazer on behalf of his father, who died in 1985. "For Mum and me it's disappointing Dad's not here. He died very young, at the age of 58, and I wish he was here to receive it personally."

Churchill began his career at Central Newcastle in 1946 before joining South Sydney, from where he played 34 Tests for Australia, including 24 as captain.

An elusive runner and stepper with a famous fend, Churchill revolutionised the fullback's role and was a fierce defender.

He played in three premiership-winning teams with the Rabbitohs (1950, '51 and '54) then coached them to four more titles from five grand finals between 1967 and 1971.

Johns, a two-time Golden Boot winner, three-time Dally M Medallist, a Churchill Medallist and two-time premiership winner with the Knights, retired last April as the leading scorer in premiership history with 2176.

Newcastle Herald

Great team, great to see joey in there. No one made much of a speech which was surprising. You could really see how much an honor it is. Each one of the players that went up to put on the jacket we're either beaming or about to break down and cry (joey) :lol:

'Forgiven' Johns humbled by centenary honour
Article from: ABC

r241918_982055.jpg

Former Newcastle Knights half-back Andrew Johns says he feel like he has been forgiven by the Australian rugby league community.

Johns was named as the half-back alongside legendary Queensland five-eighth Wally Lewis in Australia's Team of the Century at a celebratory dinner in Sydney last night.

Johns, who retired from the game during the 2007 season as the greatest club points-scorer with 2,176, was arrested for drug possession in London late last year.

His subsequent confession of substance abuse during his stellar career was thought to have could cost him his place among the most elite team in Australian league history.

But Johns says he feels like he has begun to earn back the respect of the game.

"I'm rattled... as you can see I'm physically, (I'm) sort of shaken," he said.

"A lot of people in the game have forgiven me and it feels like tonight that the game has forgiven me.

"I was nervous, it's a very big occasion in the game and also I have some other issues from last year."

A panel of 28 experts selected the top player in each position as well as four reserves and a coach.

Lewis paid tribute to Johns, saying it would have been an honour to play alongside a champion of the game.

"If Joey was on the inside, I mightn't have seen much of the ball, he might have just been creating the tries or scoring them himself," Lewis said.

"So a five-eighth mightn't have been necessary".

Reg Gasnier and Mal Meninga filled the centre spots with Brian Bevan and Ken Irvine on the Wings and Clive Churchill at full-back.

Former Queensland State of Origin captain and now coach Meninga says he was proud to be wearing the commemorative blazer all the players were given.

"You won't get it off me tonight, I'll give you a tip... I'm truly honoured and privileged, Meninga said.

"When you look at awards through a life time it doesn't get much better than this to be honest."

Arthur Beetson, Noel Kelly and Duncan Hall were named as the front row with Ron Coote and Norm Provan in the second row.

Former St George legend John Raper was picked at lock.

The formidable side was rounded off with a bench of Bob Fulton, Graeme Langlands, Frank Burge and Dally Messenger.

Jack Gibson was named as the team's coach, due to his five premiership victories with Eastern Suburbs (1974-75) and Parramatta (1981-83), as well as his State of Origin triumph with New South Wales in 1990.

All of you guys would of cryed if you where Andrew Johns. Good job. Captain was Joey.
HMMPH. I wonted Brad Fitler to get Five Eigth of the centary. I dont like queenslanders.
Wally was a good player but not as good as johns. O well maybe in 100 years time Fitler might get the Coach of the centuary.

A lot of people in the game have forgiven me and it feels like tonight that the game has forgiven me.

Thats what would have really got him emotional.

And;
Queensland accused of bloc voting
By Ray Chesterton
April 18, 2008

QUEENSLAND judges have been accused of manipulating the voting for the Team of the Century that left some New South Wales icons either benched or snubbed.

Five Queenslanders made the prestigious side - four of them highly contentious decisions against better performed NSW players.

The five Queenslanders are props Duncan Hall and Arthur Beetson with Noel Kelly at hooker in an all-Maroons front row. Wally Lewis is at five-eighth with Mal Meninga a centre.

The selection casualties from NSW include forwards Glenn Lazarus, Ian Walsh, Ray Stehr and Sandy Pearce.

"I was stunned by the way it turned out," one selector said last night.

"How is Meninga a centre when (Graeme) Langlands and (Bob) Fulton are on the bench?"

Another said: "I just hope everyone voted to their conscience."

Meninga's selection ahead of Langlands and Fulton says immortality is fleeting.

The team was named last night at a gala function to celebrate the game's centenary. It was to be the premier event of festivities, but the tone of the team and the selection of what many pundits will see as less-qualified Queenslanders was upsetting.

The team, by its very nature and its extensive parameters of considering 100 players drawn from different eras with different rules and different demands, was always going to be contentious. But it was never expected to be as arguable as it turned out.

Queensland has been living with accusations of conspiracy and voting in a bloc since the voting day last December.

One Queenslander among the 28 selectors had a list of Queensland players he was going to vote for alongside him.

By voting in a bloc, the Queenslanders were able to take advantage of any split votes among NSW representatives. It would have given Meninga and Lewis a flying start for inclusion because NSW votes might have been divided between contenders such as Dave Brown, Fulton, Steve Rogers, Reg Gasnier, Langlands and Dally Messenger.

Meninga is well credentialled and his durability, endurance and resilience is respected, as is his record four Australia tours and 46 Tests. But he was also switched to second row on the 1986 tour because he could not displace centres Gene Miles or Brett Kenny.

Lewis was dropped on the 1982 tour as incumbent five-eighth. He returned later as a Test reserve before compiling an impressive career. But he made little impression in club football and his reputation rests largely on 30 often magnificent Origin displays.

It is hard to accept players who lost their Test positions as being the best of all time.

Fulton (35 Tests), who was never dropped, and legendary Langlands (45 Tests) are on the bench despite their all-round dominance in their eras.

Beetson is the exception to conspiracy theories and would have garnered votes from both states.

Kelly is the only prop to make three Kangaroos tours but he lost the Test hooking position to Ian Walsh and he played only 13 of his 25 Tests as hooker.

Andrew =League God

Good team, I still reacon If Andrew Johns got fit abit fit again he would be rip up there with the good players in the game atm

I think his retired for a reason Louman derrr.

Congrats to Joey though, so many bashers are against him and to come through like that is a real honour.

Dont think there is much wrong with that team, not that I know all of them but from what Ive read they got it right!

Eh, Johns was a shoe in, it was a no brainer he was going to be picked.

Mal Meninga and Duncan Hall are the only ones that people haven't agreed with so far.

I was heaps happy for Joey. Of course he deserves it, but to see him get an honour like that after all the stuff he's gone through was great.
The team seemed pretty well, all though I didn't know about half the team :p

Back