Captain for 2016

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by jamesgould, Sep 1, 2015.

?

Who should be our Captain in 2016 ??

1. Dane Gagai

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  2. Trent Hodkinson

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Chris Houston

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Jarrod Mullen

21 vote(s)
    52.5%
  5. Robbie Rochow

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  6. Korbin Sims

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. Tariq Sims

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  8. Jeremy Smith

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  9. Kade Snowden

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

I know most people are thinking Mullen ... but watching us play this year, I'd seriously consider giving it to Korbin Sims. He plays with the type of enthusiasm and passion that I'd like to see the whole team play with. Plus is well spoken and seems driven towards achieving bigger and better things.

2. Aidos

Aidos Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I wouldn't mind it being Robbie Rochow. He added a lot to the team in his limited games this year and I have thought of him as a future captain of the club for a while now. He is also really well spoken like Korbin.

3. Tim

Tim Dean Carney

We need a talker. Someone who is barking orders and saying what needs to happen. Kinda like Joey used to. Often when the other team has scored I just see our guys mingling round the posts looking sad while they line up the conversion. As for who does that best? I have no idea.

4. jamesgould

It's easy to forget Rochow with him virtually missing the whole year.

5. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Before reading that I would of never even thought about Korbin, but you provide good reasons. I'd still give it to Mullo but someone has to be captain when he's out. Hodkinson & Tolman would be solid options but you couldn't give them the captaincy without playing a game. I assume by saying Korbin is driven to achieving bigger things you mean Mullo isn't quite as motivated as Korbin & you probably aren't wrong. He said he was looking forward to working with a dominant halfback because he's a bit cruisy on the field so if Hodkinson takes control, which he should, then Mullo might fire up a bit.

6. Junior11

Junior11 Moderator Moderator

It has to be Mullen. I think Hodkinson will take alot of pressure off his game and he can just focus on his running and attack and demanding more from the boys. Mullen is the only one left who has that old Newcastle spirit and knows what it's all about, you see him yelling and taking control all the time on the field especially when Gids isn't there. Rochow would be my next choice if he can stay on the field. If we can get Tolman though I'd give it straight to him from day one. While it's great to see Korbin finally fire up and go hard I think he's still got to prove his consistency and it's no given he'll even start next year.

7. TheBatman

TheBatman Trent Hodkinson

I think Mullen has to have first opportunity next year as he has been essentially groomed for it and has represented the club passionately for years. However I think Rochow is our next long term captain. Also you may want to change the name of your thread from 2015 to 2016.

8. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I think it'll be a shoe-in for Mullen. Has the captaincy experience and provided us with results while in charge plus he ultimately played his best football with the (c) next to his name. Korbin and Rochow are also future captains of this club whoever it is will be hard to choose from.

9. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

I have no issue with it being Mullen next year either. But some good suggestions about Rochow. He was the first guy I thought of without mentioning Mullen.

10. Treadly

Treadly Rod Shoesmith

Just not Houston!

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

11. ryan.berger.56

ryan.berger.56 Todd Bates

Mullen for 2016 obviously and then see how we go for future years after that.
    Knowing mullos injury record I'm sure we will see a fill in next season at some point

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Swarzey

Swarzey Michael Hagan

No doubt it will be Mullen. It does wonders to his game when he carries the tag (end of '13). Korbin really isn't far behind though. Before this season I expected the next bloke after Mullen would be Rochow but yeah, his leadership this year, his drive, determination, enthusiasm has been outstanding.

13. mullenmagic

mullenmagic Trent Estatheo

Rochow or one of the Sims boys

14. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Either one of the halves. After all it is their job to run and call plays and none of this p.c. co-captains crud please!

15. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Mullen is not captain material - he describes himself as "cruisey" on the field.

Rochow was captain of Melbourne NYC when they won a title and he has proved himself to be a very good captain.

In a few years it should be Sione, who has been captain of several junior teams, right up to the Australian level. He is a very intelligent and well spoken young guy who will interact well with refs and will do great in press conferences.

16. Defender1

Defender1 Steve Simpson

Houston shouldn't even make the side (unless there's a heap of injuries)!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I think the voting thus far is a pretty fair reflection of who should get the job :)

17. jamesgould

I didn't even put a poll on this, wanted it to be a discussion rather than popularity vote. :(

But the Mullen deserves it, he's done it before etc, is exactly why I'd go with someone different. And I know he's been successful previously. But the whole "he's next in line" and ends up doing it until he's retires because he's the next local hero thing kills me.

[MENTION=873]Joshhh[/MENTION] I'm glad you sorta know what I mean (proves I haven't totally lost my marbles). I guess controlled aggression is a good way of putting what we get from Korbin, and that's what I'd love to see in our next captain.

18. mullenmagic

mullenmagic Trent Estatheo

Hopefully with our new coach not being a local he won't just hand Mullen the captaincy because he's "next in line"

19. JoshW21

JoshW21 #RiseForAlex

Sports Trainer/Coach
    Mullen is the obvious option but I've voted for one of the outsiders in Robbie Rochow I believe he is very capable of captaining the side

20. lexington

lexington Robbie Tew

How did Houston even make the poll? Shouldn't even be in the top 25!!!