Blake Green

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
A one year deal wouldn't be the worst idea.
More than that and guys like Hoy and Crossland would be looking elsewhere.

R_A

Ben Kennedy
Apparently according to Barry Toohey we won’t resign Blake.

Foxsports wrote an article and I kid y’all not saying the Knights were considering re-signing Blake Green. Without any actual quotes from anyone from within the team.
So it’s not surprising to see the opposite happen.

My guess is winning by 40 points automatically means it’s worth assuming they will want to re-sign him haha
If we got flogged or lost there wouldn’t be a peep about it

Kurriboy

Matthew Gidley
I think he was saying no cap space for him. With Glasby retiring unexpectedly, and assuming the cap position was managed with Glasby still on the cap for next year, why is there no money available?

Only cap position change I know of for 2021 since Gaslby retirement is signing the UK kid. Maybe playing coy, and keeping some money aside in case a younger 5/8 can be enticed in? Or another player?

R_A

Ben Kennedy
I think they’ve been keeping some funds aside for certain plays like we did with McCullough and Green but adding up the re-signings and upgrades of others...yeah it’s plausible there’s little room to move.
As it’s been mentioned before though our cap is very flexible going forward

Kurriboy

Matthew Gidley
Those signings and upgrades, performance bonuses all agreed to prior to Glasby retirement though.

Can only figure they are keeping some aside for a rainy day which is a good plan. But, hopefully they have a plan for 5/8 next year and it isn't put Mann back there.

Still_Nutty

Steve Southern
Those signings and upgrades, performance bonuses all agreed to prior to Glasby retirement though.

Can only figure they are keeping some aside for a rainy day which is a good plan. But, hopefully they have a plan for 5/8 next year and it isn't put Mann back there.

Apparently according to Barry Toohey we won’t resign Blake.

So for me, taking Toohey at his word which I consider is reliable (particularly when he is being that emphatic) that Green isn't going to be here in 2021, that points to O'Brien being settled on seeing Crossland developed enough to be our regular 5/8 in 2021. This also puts Mann in the Utility role plus back up 5/8 where he maybe in competition with Watson if we resign him but I would not based on under this scenario.

To date, based on what O'Brien has done since he's been here, I am going to have faith that he is the real deal in his role and everything is going according to plan (including not considering an extension for Green) :)

knightime

Jason Temu
So for me, taking Toohey at his word which I consider is reliable (particularly when he is being that emphatic) that Green isn't going to be here in 2021, that points to O'Brien being settled on seeing Crossland developed enough to be our regular 5/8 in 2021. This also puts Mann in the Utility role plus back up 5/8 where he maybe in competition with Watson if we resign him but I would not based on under this scenario.

To date, based on what O'Brien has done since he's been here, I am going to have faith that he is the real deal in his role and everything is going according to plan (including not considering an extension for Green) :)

Agreed. Who knows what might change between now and then though. If Watson accepts an offer elsewhere, we’ll have extra funds potentially. But yeah, thinking Crossland will be plugged in at 5/8th next year.

R_A

Ben Kennedy
Also from memory Lino is off contract and if they do have funds they can always re-sign him to a cheap deal...solid reserve grader and a fill in at firsts but at NRL level would struggle for 24 weeks with his defence.
At least he is a more natural five eight and playmaker then Watson or Mann and is cheaper then Watson to keep.

Would go alright at ESL behind a good halfback

Going forward I’m just not sure how it’s possible to justify keeping Watson and Mann on some level of reasonable coin.

slotmachine

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Or another player?

We're losing Herman, Glasby and maybe Guerra. They will have glasby's money ear marked for another middle forward.

that points to O'Brien being settled on seeing Crossland developed enough to be our regular 5/8 in 2021

I don't think thats a sure thing, he's in love with Mann at 5/8, would still be there if not for a million injures.

Going forward I’m just not sure how it’s possible to justify keeping Watson and Mann on some level of reasonable coin.

Especially with Hoy not having a path to FG and signed long term.

Reactions: R_A

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
The coach has a lot of young halves.
Hoy, Crossland, Searle and even Pezet maybe (depending on when he turns 18 next year).
If he backs himself to find a firstgrade level half out of that lot for next year, that's fine.
Signing a 35 year old as a stopgap wouldn't be backing his own coaching ability, and probably be a poor message to send.

Lord of the Skraelings

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
No thanks, wish him all the best and hope he gets on top of his mental demons but he should never be associated with the club again including stuff like old boys day.