Banning of Posting Articles from 'Newcastle Herald'

Discussion in 'Forum Support & Site Announcements' started by dave wills, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Given the tone of the conversation (What you're doing is just wrong) I don't give us much hope.

2. jamesgould

I would hope that nobody on here would mention other forums that are posting articles, by name, to the Herald (there is LU and the Jets forum, off the top of my head).

Don't want any other forums getting banned as well.

And not that I would think anyone here would do it intentionally! :)

3. ~knights1~

~knights1~ Ben Kennedy

oh

wasn't doing that for that reason

just wanted to know if they did have permission

what was the way around it

4. Jonno

Jonno The 18th Man

Mining Engineer
    So can we have links to the 'other forums' who have links to the herald? :lol:

All seems ridiculous to me, im picturing a bunch of people sitting around a desk plotting on how to take out the smaller guy in order to make themselves feel big. We are no threat to them.

The photos i can understand, but the articles are a bit stupid IMO when they post them on the internet in order for people to read (without paying).

Oh and James the stats are probably my favourite part of the site :)

5. ~knights1~

~knights1~ Ben Kennedy

people can view the articles through the herald or through here

what's the difference ...I did both

do they want more hits on their website

photos I can understand

6. Sammyyy

Sammyyy Knights 2013

uni kid
    But its ridiculous how we cant repost it here considering we give full due credit. We're not trying to compete with them and this is purely and fan base forum but tbh i dont see WHAT the herald are thinking. Maybe images could be an exception but articles..what can we do with them anyway?

Anyway James, thanks for all you've given into this forum. Much appreciated and im sure all of us are grateful for what you've done for Knights fans :)

So in the future can we post links to the Herlad article? or not? Or do members have to check the Herald website daily to check for new articles? :fist:

7. Brogga

Brogga Todd Bates

School / Coles Packer
    This is pretty dissappointing. James you've done nothing but try and run a honest forum like all good forums try and be. Yourself and all the members on here have always posted articles with the right intentions, to give the forum a topic to talk about and discuss and i dont think ive ever come across a article thats been either posted or written up on here that hasnt been linked or been given credit to where it actually came from. Cant get my head around that one.

Photos like most others i can understand but i feel for you James and I appreciate the effort you went to to sort all the photos and put them on the site.

Lets hope someday soon an agreement can be made that suits both all readers on the forum and the people at the herald to make sure this forum continues down the good and honest path its been on for so many years now.

Onya Jamesy :)

8. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

All would agree the Photo Archive was a great way to look over Knights history in pictures. That's all it was!

Hopefully we are able to post articles hyperlinking them to the Herald in the future. But as for now - we can just leave it at that until we get some sort of permission.

It's a massive disapointment - something we will try and get resolved.

Meanwhile, let's all get ready for Round 1 - if you read something somewhere - just post it and hyperlink where it came from.

9. U23

U23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Just finished catching up with this thread, and all I can say is that it's disappointing.

Coming from a Newcastle Paper you'd think they'd support everything Newcastle. Plus not every article about the Knights gets posted on their website, so when people post it here it's great for all us outside Newcastle.

Shame.

10. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

I thought they would have better things to do to be honest :sad:

11. bigdan

bigdan Red, Blue & Gold 24/7/365

Teacher
    Well said Brogga.

I think that would be an ideal solution to the problem. They get more traffic, and we can mention local stories on the site.

I've come across similar problems at a site I used to help run, but we did eventually come to an agreement of sorts. I think if it's laid on the table in an attractive manner for both sides, I think the stalemate can be broken.

12. bigdan

bigdan Red, Blue & Gold 24/7/365

Teacher
    Luckily that hasn't happened as such. Fairfax owns radio stations in Sydney, Brisbane, Perth and Melbourne (and a few regional areas too), along with its metro and regional/rural papers, but that's about it. Unless you count News Limited's papers along with 25% ownership of Foxtel and 50% ownership of Fox Sports.

I almost forgot that Kerry Stokes, who owns about 50% of the Seven Network (don't ask how, unless you want to be really bored), does own a big chunk of the West Australian newspaper group...but that's over in WA.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  13. pommieknight

pommieknight I am Danny Weidler!!

Carer, creative ....... in that order!
    I'd like to add my thanks to James for all of his hard work in putting this site together. It really is a labour of love. It's been mentioned earlier that neither he (nor anyone else connected with this site) has taken a single cent in income from this. In fact, he's probably spent cash that could have gone on other things. He's built this site in the true spirit of the internet - i.e. to share information freely with others. To have it all taken away from him is a real shame.

I suspect that Fairfax/Herald are looking at the income from picture rights over the internet. This is a thorny topic ATM - see the disagreement between the UK's Performing Rights Society (PRS) and You Tube. When you look at this realistically, there are only a handful of people who view this site and see the pictures on it.

People on this site have bought multiple copies of the Herald and sent them around the world. I know because I have some of those copies. That's the relationship people on here have with the Herald, that they're proud enough of its content to circulate it to other parts of the world. I hope some sort of agreement can be struck to allow the pictures to continue on this site.

In the meantime, I'd prefer it if people would no longer send me any Herald material through the post or send me links to any Herald online content.

14. Newcastle Forever

Newcastle Forever NEW-CAS-TLE

Baker
    WTF?

So are pictures banned as well as articles?

There goes the archive..

Nice work fairfax

15. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

Leads you to the question - why do they bother posting things if they want no one to use them?

Ahh well - we will just have to wait and see. Hopefully it all works out.

Until then - there will be no further discussion on this matter until we have news.

16. NovaScouse

NovaScouse Marty Crequer

Herald = disgrace

what a disgrace that paper is.

So it's a Newcastle newspaper for Novocastrians... so of course we should get behind it and support it but i've had it with them.

First of all there own writers write negative stuff about there own supporters of the Newcastle Jets.
    And now there not letting there articles on a Newcastle forum... it's a disgrace what do they think will actually happen? Nothing... Novocastrians and Newcastle are what I believe meant to be very proud of where they live and feel as if Newcastle is even a country of its own but the Herald seem to be giving the sport of Newcastle ****... I know I wont be buying it or supporting it anymore...

17. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

Contact them champ via email.

^^^

The sad thing is - we see them lurking the forums as guests and yet still cant join the forum and give an explanation as to why this has happened.

Quite poor IMO.

18. jamesgould

So all up, it has got heaps of people really angry and anti the Newcastle Herald ... and some people that did buy the newspaper have stopped (I've heard anyway, not sure if they posted it in this thread). I sure won't be buying it or the SMH anymore when I come over to Aus later this year.

I can't believe that anything we posted here stopped sales of the newspaper, and I definitely know that I pointed people to buying copies of photos off them (including Chris Bailey's mum, last year!), but it seems that through what they've done they've cut back on circulation by a few issues!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.