Banning of Posting Articles from 'Newcastle Herald'

Discussion in 'Forum Support & Site Announcements' started by dave wills, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave wills

dave wills Guest

life long reader,first time poster

as a lifelong fan of the newcastle knights,nothing impressed me more than the work done by james gould at marathonstadium.com

he hasnt earned a cent from this website

he made me re-live games that no other website could possibly do.when i came on last night to read the main page i was gobsmacked in that the newcastle herald wanted to take things down.

i live in a country town near wagga wagga so hardly get to any games,also means i cant read any news unless i get online.i know there is a herald website,but i like to hear what people have to say after it.

an internet wouldnt be an internet if there wasnt links posted and to think this forum was banned of posting articles is ludacris

i want an explanation from the people of the newcastle herald because if anything they should support us-i read their newspapers online. sure i read it on here,but i know where it comes from.

thankyou,

dave

2. ~knightsgirljess~

~knightsgirljess~ LIVE LAUGH LOVE

NURSE- TEAM LEADER
    I'm with you there Dave. Its terrible

3. beez

beez Dairi Kovae

I'm shocked! Don't really know what to say but thanks James for all the work over the years and hopefully the site will be up and running again soon.

4. knights4premiers

knights4premiers Uate

Really shocked, The articles people typed up means they actually paid for the paper, its no different from them buying it, taking it to work or school and showing mates certain articles.

From a Newcastle Paper to.

James, personally i don't think i could thank you enough for the information the forum has provided me with, it has made me a better supporter and more informed on whats going on, without this forum id be like every other supporter from another team, without a fully devoted forum to his or her team.

Thanks James, behind you and the forum 100%

5. Ms.Nobody

Ms.Nobody Banned

I don't understand it - abit of a shock. A sad way to start our season.

We have 7 fans from NZ, 2 Fans from England, One fan currently in China.

About 60% of members here are either from Sydney, Melbourne or QLD.

And they don't want us posting articles?

Hopefully we can work something out. I've never read a forum where pictures aren't posted and articles aren't read from other websites. Don't understand the real problem here, if anything we supported them this way. By linking their write ups, commenting on the articles.

I'd like to see someone come on and explain to all our fellow members what's the go, but I'm not sure if it will happen :sad:

6. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

AWTA this is the best forum I've been on by far and the archive was awesome

7. knight-no-7

knight-no-7 Moderator

Its just stupid.

We are trying to get some answers and hopefully work something out. We'll see what happens.

8. Maddog78

Maddog78 Paul Rauhihi

Absolutely ridiculous, when I lived in Sydney I couldn't even get the herald so the only way I had of reading their articles was to come on here,

Hopefully they can see how ridiculous this is.

9. Jonno

Jonno The 18th Man

Mining Engineer
    im confused, so the main site was taken down because of the photos posted in the archive? What a joke, its not like people mass produce them and sell them. Also its a great site that celebrates the history of the club.

also would it be possible to just keep the match details etc?

I remember stumbling across this website many, many years ago, even before the forum and everything. Its disppointing to see all james' time and effort just disappear like this. So mainly i feel sorry for you James, and thanks for everything ou have done with the archive.
    e
    And not being able to post SMH affiliated papers is gunna bring down the info on this forum quite considerably. Even if i find something in my local paper, the Mercury, i wont be able to post it cause its part of the SMH group.

Its all a real shame, and i hope we can sort something out. Like the club acknowledges the website and forum on their site, so maybe we could ask them to help pull some strings.

10. ~knights1~

~knights1~ Ben Kennedy

I was promoting them the other day...encouraging people to buy the herald for

their free poster etc

:(

11. ~knightsgirljess~

NURSE- TEAM LEADER
    i was just thinking that ~knights1~ lol

12. ~knights1~

~knights1~ Ben Kennedy

lol

I'm not even going to mention about tomorow :hand:

:whistle:

13. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Yes, that's completely correct. I could go through and remove every single Fairfax photo (if I could remember where I got each photo from, which I can't), but it would be a pretty tough ask. They were photos originally posted on Fairfax sites that probably 99% have disappeared from the net by now, so I thought it was a good way of keeping them alive.

Yep, I can definitely keep the stats up! Since they are my own work. But I don't think many people would be interested in it haha.

It is true that this site was stealing the photos off other sites ... usually sites don't worry unless a profit is being made. But the whole thing has got me worried of my legal footing. So I decided just to take the site down for now.

Maybe it will return in some form one day, but I'll have to think about it. I think it's ridiculous just to target this site, when this sort of thing happens all over the net.

Thanks for the nice words, everyone!

14. bigdan

bigdan Red, Blue & Gold 24/7/365

Teacher
    That's pretty low of Fairfax.

This could hurt them in the long haul.

15. ~knightsgirljess~

NURSE- TEAM LEADER
    well considering this site is only used for us the fans its just ridiculous!!
    James its a shame this has had to happen and i hope the herald wakes up to themselves and realises were doing no harm or if they continue there stance do it to every other place like this! its unfair we were targeted

16. macavity

macavity The Enemy

Lawyer
  17. knight-no-7

knight-no-7 Moderator

I agree and hope they apply it to other sites aswell, not just us. If its just us, its just bloody ridiculous.

18. jamesgould

jamesgould Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

When we spoke to the editor and said you know this happens on other forums, he said that other forums all have permission. I doubt very much if this is the case!

But anyways ... don't let it worry you guys, just look forward to round one! :) Again, I really appreciate the support, though.

19. ~knights1~

~knights1~ Ben Kennedy

will they give you permission ?

20. beez

beez Dairi Kovae

Can you get their permission?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.