Australian tour of South Africa

rhugh89

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
The squad gets announced on Monday the 20th January, Should be interesting in regards to Phil Hughes and which quicks we are taking...

Phil Hughes in line for another recall to Test squad for tour of South Africa

• MALCOLM CONN
  • NEWS LIMITED NETWORK
  • JANUARY 20, 2014 12:00AM

PHIL Hughes is in line for another Test resurrection as the bolter for the South African tour if the selectors favour substance over style.

Alex Doolan was the early favourite to change the "Unchangeables" for next month's three-Test series as Australia looks to bolster its top order batting against the most highly ranked pace attack in the world.

However growing concerns about Doolan's modest performances this season has left Hughes squarely in the frame to be part of the touring squad when it is announced on Monday.

The Sheffield Shield season started well for Doolan but he faded while Hughes exploded, scoring three centuries including a double hundred, giving the unorthodox left-hander 549 runs for South Australia at 61.

Doolan has 391 at 39 for Tasmania but made eight first class scores in a row below 50, including five below 20.

Whoever receives the nod today after a lengthy debate when the selectors hooked up last night, they will replace George Bailey in the line-up following a string of first innings failures during Australia's triumphant 5-0 Ashes whitewash.

The plan is introduce another top order player at number three and move incumbent Shane Watson down to number six as the all-rounder in place of Bailey.

The Tasmania captain only kept his place because of Australia's desire to take an unchanged side through the 5-0 clean sweep.

Many players have been chopped on the back of far better performances than Bailey, most notably Brad Hodge, who was overlooked for the 2006 tour of South Africa despite an average of 58. He played just one more Test.

A 14 or 15-man squad will head to South African on January 29, with only the Twenty players in the Test squad remaining to complete three matches against England.

All of the Test 12 will be chosen along with another batsman and one or two extra fast bowlers.

Nathan Coulter-Nile is favoured to take one of those positions along with either James Pattinson or Jackson Bird if 15 are ultimately chosen.

While Pattinson shapes as Australia's stand-out fast bowler of the future, there are concerns that neither he nor Bird have played red ball cricket since breaking down with back injuries during the Ashes tour mid-year.

Both have returned through the Big Bash and Pattinson played Sunday night's one-day game against England in Sydney.

Coulter-Nile was on standby for the second half of the Test this Ashes series as Ryan Harris struggled to overcome his chronic knee problem ahead of each Test.

Hughes has already been through three incarnations as a Test player and can be considered a little unlucky when he was dropped on the Ashes tour a Test after scoring an unbeaten 81 in a record last wicket stand with Ashton Agar.

It was in South Africa five years ago that the roller coast took off for Hughes, when he became the youngest player in history to score 2 centuries in a Test at the age of 20.

LIKELY SQUAD

David Warner
Chris Rogers
Phil Hughes
Michael Clarke (c)
Steve Smith
Shane Watson
Brad Haddin (vc)
Mitchell Johnson
Ryan Harris
Peter Siddle
Nathan Lyon
James Faulkner
George Bailey
Nathan Coulter-Nile
James Pattinson

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-of-south-africa/story-fni2fnmo-1226805410076

NATHAN COULTER NILE IS A USELESS PIECE OF TURD.

Should be:

1. Warner
2. Rogers
3. Hughes
4. Clarke
5 Smith
6. Faulkner
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Pattinson
10. Siddle
11. Lyon

If they're happy with Faulkner as a full time bowler then swap Patto for Bailey only because he's not that match fit.

I would go...

David Warner
Chris Rogers
Shane Watson
Michael Clarke (c)
Steve Smith
Phil Hughes
Brad Haddin (vc)
Mitchell Johnson
Ryan Harris
Peter Siddle
Nathan Lyon

James Faulkner

Shaun Marsh
Jackson Bird
James Pattinson

Last edited:
My 15 man squad would be:

Rogers
Warner
Watson
Clarke
Smith
Hughes
Bailey (only cause there's really no one else)
Haddin
Faulkner
Siddle
Harris
Johnson
Pattinson
Bird
Lyon

- - - Updated - - -

NATHAN COULTER NILE IS A USELESS PIECE OF TURD.

Should be:

1. Warner
2. Rogers
3. Hughes
4. Clarke
5 Smith
6. Faulkner
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Pattinson
10. Siddle
11. Lyon

If they're happy with Faulkner as a full time bowler then swap Patto for Bailey only because he's not that match fit.

What about Harris? and as much as I rate Faulkner, I really don't think he is ready to be a number 6 batsman yet. He's more of a bowling all rounder in my eyes, but definitely has the potential to become someone who bowls and bats at 6.

My 15 man squad would be:

Rogers
Warner
Watson
Clarke
Smith
Hughes
Bailey (only cause there's really no one else)
Haddin
Faulkner
Siddle
Harris
Johnson
Pattinson
Bird
Lyon

- - - Updated - - -

What about Harris? and as much as I rate Faulkner, I really don't think he is ready to be a number 6 batsman yet. He's more of a bowling all rounder in my eyes, but definitely has the potential to become someone who bowls and bats at 6.

Harris has a niggle in his knee. Not sure what his status was on injury.

After coming back to my team I think I'd replace Faulkner with Marsh, and move Marsh to 5. It's a coin flip on Harris and Pattinson, I'd think Patto gets more swing and is overall more threatening but Harris is a great bowler.

My 15 man squad.

Warner
Rogers
Doolan
Clarke
Smith
Maddinson
Haddin
Johnson
Pattinson
Harris
Lyon

Hughes
Faulkner
Siddle
Bird

Harris has a niggle in his knee. Not sure what his status was on injury.

After coming back to my team I think I'd replace Faulkner with Marsh, and move Marsh to 5. It's a coin flip on Harris and Pattinson, I'd think Patto gets more swing and is overall more threatening but Harris is a great bowler.

He's playing for heat at the moment, so I doubt he'd be playing that with any niggles. I'd have both of them in there, and get rid of Siddle as crazy as that sounds. As for Marsh, I really don't rate him, I'd actually probably rather your original choice of Faulkner hahah

Test Squad

Clarke (c)
Haddin (vc)
Doolan
Faulkner
Harris
Johnson
Marsh
Lyon
Pattinson
Rogers
Siddle
Smith
Warner
Watson

T20 Squad

Bailey (c)
Finch (vc)
Christian
Coulter-Nile
Cutting
Faulkner
Hazelwood
Henriques
Maxwell
Muirhead
Lynn
Starc
Wade
white

My god, the selectors are idiots. No Hughes, and picking Marsh and Doolan.. Marsh was a horrible failure in his test stint, horrible first class record as well as in the last year, and he is getting picked based on his ODI form.. Ohh dear those last two points sound mightily familiar and look how that turned out

My god, the selectors are idiots. No Hughes, and picking Marsh and Doolan.. Marsh was a horrible failure in his test stint, horrible first class record as well as in the last year, and he is getting picked based on his ODI form.. Ohh dear those last two points sound mightily familiar and look how that turned out

Agreed mate,

Have a look at these numbers, Absolutely shocking...

Phil Hughes may not have the best stats in tests but his First Class record is much better than Marsh and Doolan..

Their records in this years Sheffield Shield speak volumes, Hughes way better than Doolan and Marsh

Shaun Marsh Test Match Record

Matches - 7

Innings - 11

Runs - 301

50's - 1

100's - 1

Average - 27.33

Shaun Marsh First Class Record

Matches - 85

Innings - 154

Runs - 4,764

50's - 25

100's - 8

Average - 35.02

Shaun Marsh 2013/2014 Sheffield Shield Record

Matches - 5

Innings - 9

Runs - 307

50's - 0

100's - 1

Highest Score - 127* Not Out

Average - 31.00

Alex Doolan First Class Record

Matches - 53

Innings - 94

Runs - 3,375

50's - 18

100's - 6

Average - 37.92

Alex Doolan 2013/2014 Sheffield Shield Record

Matches - 5

Innings - 10

Runs - 391

50's - 2

100's - 1

Highest Score - 132

Average - 39.10

Phil Hughes First Class Record

Matches - 106

Innings - 196

Runs - 8,381

50's - 44

100's - 24

Average - 57.30

Phil Hughes Test Match Record

Matches - 26

Innings - 49

Runs - 1,531

50's - 7

100's - 3

Average - 32.65

Phil Hughes 2013/2014 Sheffield Shield Record

Matches - 5

Innings - 9

Runs - 549

50's - 1

100's - 3

Highest Score - 204

Average - 61.00

Agreed mate,

Have a look at these numbers, Absolutely shocking...

Phil Hughes may not have the best stats in tests but his First Class record is much better than Marsh and Doolan..

Their records in this years Sheffield Shield speak volumes, Hughes way better than Doolan and Marsh

Shaun Marsh Test Match Record

Matches - 7

Innings - 11

Runs - 301

50's - 1

100's - 1

Average - 27.33

Shaun Marsh First Class Record

Matches - 85

Innings - 154

Runs - 4,764

50's - 25

100's - 8

Average - 35.02

Shaun Marsh 2013/2014 Sheffield Shield Record

Matches - 5

Innings - 9

Runs - 307

50's - 0

100's - 1

Highest Score - 127* Not Out

Average - 31.00

Alex Doolan First Class Record

Matches - 53

Innings - 94

Runs - 3,375

50's - 18

100's - 6

Average - 37.92

Alex Doolan 2013/2014 Sheffield Shield Record

Matches - 5

Innings - 10

Runs - 391

50's - 2

100's - 1

Highest Score - 132

Average - 39.10

Phil Hughes First Class Record

Matches - 106

Innings - 196

Runs - 8,381

50's - 44

100's - 24

Average - 57.30

Phil Hughes Test Match Record

Matches - 26

Innings - 49

Runs - 1,531

50's - 7

100's - 3

Average - 32.65

Phil Hughes 2013/2014 Sheffield Shield Record

Matches - 5

Innings - 9

Runs - 549

50's - 1

100's - 3

Highest Score - 204

Average - 61.00

Absolutely shocking isn't it. But what annoys me most is that they pick Bailey based on ODI form after a woeful last year in FC cricket, then he turns out to be a drastic failure, decide to drop him and now they pick Marsh with the identical illogical reasoning. The test selectors should never ever consider ODI/T20 form when selecting the test team. I just don't get what the selectors think Marsh/Doolan have over Hughes. Hughes has a better test record (albeit not great either), much higher potential, better FC record, better recent FC record, age on his side, more experience, not injury prone, etc. Marsh is a good limited overs player, no doubt about that, but that's where it ends.

Absolutely shocking isn't it. But what annoys me most is that they pick Bailey based on ODI form after a woeful last year in FC cricket, then he turns out to be a drastic failure, decide to drop him and now they pick Marsh with the identical illogical reasoning. The test selectors should never ever consider ODI/T20 form when selecting the test team. I just don't get what the selectors think Marsh/Doolan have over Hughes. Hughes has a better test record (albeit not great either), much higher potential, better FC record, better recent FC record, age on his side, more experience, not injury prone, etc. Marsh is a good limited overs player, no doubt about that, but that's where it ends.

Agree with everything you just said mate...

Whilst John Inverarity is in charge though we can expect more of these dud selections...

We are about to face the best team in the world on their turf and I believe we have already made 2 critical errors...

I hope for Australia's sake that Marsh and Doolan prove us wrong but I can only see them failing on this tour...

The last guy who couldn't get a fair shot at test selection despite good shield stats was Darren Lehman, so you would think he would be a bit sympathetic.

The only saving grace is that they have picked the right bowlers. 5 genuine world class bowlers and Watson and Faulkner in there too as the all-rounders. If it wasn't for our bowlers, things could be looking a whole lot worse.

We look at six burning questions facing Australia's selectors after unveiling of Test squad

• ANTONY PINSHAW
  • FOX SPORTS
  • JANUARY 20, 2014 2:31PM

GEORGE Bailey's axing and the resurrection of Shaun Marsh's Test career were the main stories to come out of the naming of Australia's Test squad for the South Africa tour, but in truth the 15-man squad threw up more questions than answers.

We look at the six burning issues now faced by Australia's selectors, from the Test future of Bailey and Phil Hughes to the new role on offer for Shane Watson.

Is this the end for George Bailey?

It certainly looks that way.

Bailey's modest contribution during the Ashes series - 183 runs at 26.14 - was largely concealed by Brad Haddin's heroics at No. 7 but selectors were acutely aware of the need to solidify the middle order longer term.

The highlight of Bailey's Ashes campaign was the world record-equalling 28 runs smashed off a James Anderson over at the WACA Ground and a solitary half century in the first innings at Adelaide.

Other than that, it was slim pickings for the hard-hitting Tasmanian, who posted four single-figure totals and looked vulnerable to outside edges and leg-side traps.

Given he's the wrong side of 30, serious questions about him ever returning to the Test line-up could now be asked.

Will Marsh pip Doolan for a spot in XI?

It's now a race in two to take Bailey's spot in the Test line-up, with Shaun Marsh and Alex Doolan going head-to-head. Doolan would appear to be the frontrunner by virtue of his being called into the Ashes squad as injury cover for Shane Watson in Sydney.

But listening to John Inverarity speak at on Monday, it sounds as though Marsh's experience in South Africa will work heavily in his favour.

"That first Test match that he played (in 2011), I think it was in Cape Town … in the first innings Michael Clarke made a century and Shaun made 44 and was exceptional against that attack.

It would be a highly unconventional move if Marsh was essentially picked on the back of a score made more than two years ago, but that could be the road selectors are taking.

An average of 31 in the Sheffield Shield this season indicates that is indeed the case, although Doolan's Shield average for the season (39.10) isn't a whole lot better.

But then again, Doolan made 161 for Australia A against the Proteas back in 2012, so either way the selectors are hoping for a case of history repeating.

Will Shane Watson's role change?

John Inverarity left open the possibility of Watson sliding to No. 6 in the batting order.

Watson's inconsistency in the No. 3 role was a constant narrative throughout the Ashes campaign - despite a relatively robust 317 runs at 45.28 - and selectors could well opt for Marsh or Doolan at No. 3 in South Africa.

Watson is in need of a big series.

James Faulkner has been branded Australia's all-rounder of the future and, as recent performances in the limited overs arena have proven, is more than capable of making the step up to international level.

Is Faulkner a back-up or a contender for the XI?

For a couple of years now James Faulkner has been touted as a player of the future, but that future is now rapidly approaching.

The Tasmanian got his first taste of Test cricket in the fifth Ashes Test in England, playing in the same side as fellow all-rounder Watson, who was unable to bowl due to injury.

But Faulkner's recent performances in the one-day arena, coupled with his constant presence around the Test squad this summer, suggest he is edging closer to a recall.

The question is, do the powers that be simply see him as a back-up for Watson, or as a legitimate contender to bat at No.6 or No.7 regardless of Watson's presence in the side?

Will Bird or Pattinson get a game?

Michael Clarke's claim that he has the best bowling attack in the world at his disposal suggests there are no plans to tinker with the pace attack of Mitchell Johnson, Ryan Harris and Peter Siddle for the first Test.

But injury and form woes can strike without notice - just ask England - so there's every chance one of James Pattinson and Jackson Bird will get a game at some stage during the series.

Pattinson is seen as a future leader of the pace attack, but Bird, who admittedly has only played three Tests, actually has the better bowling average - 23.30 versus Pattinson's 26.42.

The two offer contrasting styles, with Pattinson bowling with more pace, bounce and aggression than the line and length style preferred by Bird.

Neither has played any first-class cricket this summer, meaning it would likely to come down to an old-school 'bowl off' in the nets.

Does Phil Hughes have an international future?

It wasn't the first time, and it certainly won't be the last, that Inverarity said these words: "Phillip Hughes is very highly regarded by the panel. He's a young man (and) we believe that he's got a lot to offer Australian cricket."

And yet, despite the supposed high regard in which he's held, the 25-year-old's two centuries and one double-hundred in the Sheffield Shield this summer weren't enough to earn him a Test recall.

Inverarity hinted that Hughes is now seen purely as a top order player, after previously being tried at both No.3 and No.6.

This suggests the South Australia batsman might not get a look-in at Test level until Chris Rogers decides to call time on his late-blooming career.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ng-of-test-squad/story-fni2fnmo-1226805951972

Last edited:
Watson shouldn't be in the squad, he is a protected species. Maddinson and Hughes in for Watson and Marsh and the squad would of been perfect.

Watson shouldn't be in the squad, he is a protected species. Maddinson and Hughes in for Watson and Marsh and the squad would of been perfect.

I would rather keep Watson because i believe he is improving (slowly) and dump Alex Doolan and Shaun Marsh for Phil Hughes and Marcus North..

Marcus's test record isn't that bad either but it can improve with the talent and determination Marcus has...

He also has an impressive conversion rate in regards to turning 50's into 100's in tests and recently in the Sheffield Shield...

Marcus North's Test Match Record

Matches - 21

Innings - 35

Runs - 1,171

50's - 4

100's - 5

Highest Score - 128

Average - 35.48

Marcus North's First Class Record

Matches - 204

Innings - 353

Runs - 13,323

50's - 66

100's - 37

Highest Score - 239* Not Out

Average - 41.37

Marcus North's 2013/2014 Sheffield Shield Record

Matches - 5

Innings - 8

Runs - 593

50's - 2

100's - 3

Highest score - 145

Average - 98.83

There is no positive outcome possible by bringing Marcos North back into the frame. Sometimes I believe you rely on stats to much to make up your opinion in both cricket and league.

The way this side is currently there is going to be another mass exodus within the next couple years leaving us starting from scratch again. Need to pick someone capable enough that will still be around the side for up to 5 years imo. If it isn't Doolan then Silk would be my next cab of the rank.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't really agree with North mate, I'm not really against bringing an old bloke in cause you've seen how well Rogers has been going, but I'd rather someone like Dave Hussey if that was the case. To be fair, cricket is sport that should be heavily reliant on stats. It's not really like league, if you're not getting wickets or runs you shouldn't be there.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't even mind bringing in Wade and Haddin into the same team. Haddin will be gone soon, so he will be back in eventually anyway, and it will allow Wade to focus primarily on his batting.

Stats can easily be misleading though even in cricket. Look at Watsons last 2 test centuries for example. Both when the side was completely on top and couldn't lose the match and he batted like it was a 50 or 20 over game and it came off. When the pressure is on though he wilts and gets his 20 before giving it away. Or even Johnson for example. He had what around 200 wickets before being recalled. I'd bet that a lot of those wickets were due to the batsmen giving it away from a bad ball then Johnson working over the batsmen with good bowling. Luckily for us he turned that around very well this summer.

Back