Adam O'Brien

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Owey, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Owey

Owey Max Chapman

Best quote from his NBN interview on the Knights website: "i think being part of the last four grand finals, I can tell these guys 'this is how we need to act every single day', and then the game should be the easy part".

That is how you build culture right there.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Battler, Treadly and Matty23 like this.
  2. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

O’Brien is giving a really good first impression I must say. I think we’ll grow to love this bloke quite quickly. I’m very keen to see what he instils into this team.

Battler likes this.
  3. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    "What the guys need to understand is if I need to choose between two guys I’m going with the defensive guy. Having strong defence is character, your character and resolve comes out in your defence and I hear a lot about us representing the region and at the moment there’s a lot of talk of that and not enough doing. I need to install a bit of that resilient character into our defensive line."

4. Owey

Owey Max Chapman

That's awesome too. Reading that made me think Watson will be six next year.

5. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Blah Blah Blah, never a better talker than Brown, lets see if the new mob can deliver before getting happy.

6. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Believe it when I see it as we are basically the same team as the last two disappointing years. It will take a huge turn around.

7. Lord of the Skraelings

I expect a similar result next season you don't instill toughness overnight.

Getting rid of certain players flippant attitudes as well and making them hate losing is the challenging part.

8. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Great defenders
    Zac Hosking
    Chris Randall
    Brodie Jones
    Matt Crocker
    Toby Marks
    Brandon Russell

Hosking is the defender who might catch the new coaches eye. A few times last year he made over 50 tackles as a lock forward, and he doesn’t just tackle, he wrestles for all he is worth.
    Poor numbers in attack though.

9. Simon Templar

Simon Templar Dean Carney

Project Manager

Me too I have had enough of "fluff pieces" full stop - as for "Pea heart efforts" I would hazard a guess that the rubbish going on in the background was going on a long time before we the punters got word of it.

These boys can all play football, but once their focus from the task is distracted , capitulation was inevitable, they all get on pretty well and live and train in each others pockets when one hurts they all hurt, the balance is broken, all we need is a unobstructed season of gradual growth with minimal injuries and we can go anywhere.

" a bit of Belief " to use Packos term.

Beaumont likes this.
  10. Billy

The best thing he said was that what Bellamy does is make it simple and explained the role he set for players really well.
    That will make a huge change from up to 5 utility players moving to different roles every second week.

11. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

So that means Sione will play a total of 0 first grade games for the Knights in 2020.

12. Lord of the Skraelings

Our boys are and have been with a few exceptions Joey retired the most mentally fragile club in the NRL by far.

Have no idea how we'll go next year but ain't expecting top 8.

13. Ethan

Ethan Ben Kennedy

We played fairly good footy in the first 6 or so games last year, lost them all (except Cronulla )by 10 points all up with 7 debutants .
    Then we played 6 or 7 games of good exciting footy and imo the whole team started to look like a team of champions .

You don't lose the skill only the commitment , the back end of the year we fell apart for what ever reason and what ever it was affected the whole team .
    Anyone who thinks the players don't hate losing is kidding themselves , even when they played bad they hated losing you can see it in there faces .
    Obrien really has one thing to do next season and that is get there heads right because the skill is already there, his staff will get them fit and with a good head space we will be top 8 and maybe better than that .

Wobbles, Simon Templar and Beaumont like this.
  14. Beaumont

That right there was my problem with Brown. Part of any coach's job is to have ability to motivate his team to consistently perform at or very close to their best. Brown don't have that ability. His back handed negative comments comments about various players throughout his tenure rubbed a few the wrong way. Maybe within the confines of the team would've been a better place to be critical. O'brien the first time he spoke said he's very happy with the roster. That's more encouragement than they got off Brown in 4 years.

Ethan likes this.
  15. Lord of the Skraelings

Senior players for the most part hated losing but quite a few and I hate to single out Ponga, but he was the main offender, couldn't have cared less.

16. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

I don't think it's right to say he couldn't care less. I've seen him screaming at players multiple times out of frustration due to a crucial error in a game. He's not out there to stuff around. He's probably guilty of taking a backseat when the side was going crap late this season but I don't think it's in his dna to lose.

Ethan and Beaumont like this.
  17. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Timana Tahu

All nice words from windscreens.

I'll wait until I see some backbone and grit on the field before I get too excited.

Last season hurt as a Knights fan more than the spoon years for me.

18. Billy

22 of the squad have trained in front of the coach already.
    The problem with that is that it is also important for players to give their bodies a bit of recovery time between seasons.
    Ponga might have as little as a month off training, maybe less if he is one of those who has already had informal sessions.
    Brian Smith used to give players as long a break as he could and saved the fitness stuff till the end of pre season because he said he wanted his players peaking in September, not March.
    But all the coaches who have been successful recently seem to flog the team in the off season, so maybe it’s the way to go.

19. Beaumont

Ponga was in Europe with Watson right up until only a couple of days before the 9's.

20. Owey

Owey Max Chapman

Ok, I'm gonna say it, for a rookie coach, I believe Obi will be a massive success. My biggest concern is Melbourne trying to lure him away in the next two years if Bellyache retires. However, I do believe that we will be in a position, after he has started to shape his own squad, with juniors coming through and a center of excellence, to be of at least equal standing as the storm as far as coaching attraction goes.

Wobbles and Beaumont like this.