Adam O'Brien

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Owey, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Willie Peters and Matt Parsons playing for Souths back in the 90s.
    I remember thinking they were the smallest player I'd seen and the biggest player I'd seen.

2. Wobbles

Wobbles Leo Dynevor

Parsons was one player I was stoked to see in red and blue, a tough yet skillful giant.

3. knightime

knightime Tim Maddison

4. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Mark Hughes

5. Billy

Almost nothing new in it.
    Only news is he doesn't officially start till Nov 1, but he is already here and working.
    Lino's shoulder isn't as bad as thought. He doesn't say when Lino might be ready, but is looking at Watson, Mann and Crossland for the halves.
    As already reported, he thinks our main recruiting target is an outside back. He is not looking for a 5/8.
    We have 3 positions to fill in the top 30, 4 now that gavet is gone, and potentially 5 if Levi goes.

Lot's of talk about not talking down our prospects and not talking them up either. yadda yadda yadda.

6. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Mark Hughes

Cheers. I liked the sound of the no mediocrity in the club bit.

7. Billy

Another instalment of the O'Brien interview in this mornings paper.
    A lot of it came across as psychobabble (how psychologists describe people talking nonsense in pseudo psychological terms).
    He basically said people who need a lot of support off the field are the ones who let their mates down on the field and he needs to put the guys under a lot of pressure in the offseason to make them mentally strong enough to close out the games they couldn't close out this year.
    It sounds like he plans to flog them this off season, and to weed out the ones he thinks are not mentally strong.
    Words to that effect.

In a normal workplace this would probably be workplace bullying and get you sacked, but footballers are getting millions for excelling and nothing if they don't, so demanding excellence from them is fair enough, and in their own interests really.

I suspect this is all Bellamy inspired.

8. Owey

Owey Adrian Bubb

I'm sure he will take some of them to strange new places. I'm guessing the only one who will be smiling will be T Glasby. I have a lot faith in this guy getting rid of our soft underbelly. I've said it before, i reckon there will be a couple of inclusions for rd 1 that no one would expect right now, but who will be mainstays under Obi.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Lefty likes this.
  9. Battler

Battler Ashley Gordon

We've been soft, unfit and mentally weak for more than a decade.

Obi can go full Bellamy as far as I'm concerned.

10. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    I hope his an, angry, angry, ANGRY MAN!

11. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

The funny thing is that despite that there is probably no doubt that our club, amongst every club has done some form of a boot camp (past and sometimes current players and coaches talk about it all the time) well before the season starts during the offseason/preseason program and yet despite this there will still be teams that miss out on the playoffs, lose close games, fall short physically at the end of games.
    We've fallen short the last two years and have had various aspects of our game go through fallen lapses so I wonder if a guy like O'Brien will review what the team does (or any coach of a team who falls short of the finals) to see whether it's an effective method and something that can be improved upon or even scrapped completely.

Because while I feel like a successful team like the Roosters do have hard yards and endurance stuff I question whether they do a boot camp army type of thing in comparison with some other teams like the Storm or Broncos or Bennett teams who are known for them.
    Maybe there are more smarter and efficient ways to get the team going...

Lefty likes this.
  12. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

Pearce and Klemmer will probably also handle anything thrown their way with little concern as they should but it'll be more interesting to see the younger guys.

13. Owey

Owey Adrian Bubb

We were given a bit of an insight into the Roosters mentality late in the season. Cronk was asked about the weekends game and he basically said his focus was on that afternoons training session. Then there was an article, i think by Robert Dillon but not 100% certain, about watching a stock standard Roosters training run and how professional it was. Every drill undertaken had purpose and every player competed hard. That mindset then becomes about the process and not the outcome. Every training session becomes the players focus and a chance to better yourself. (There are players who train to survive the session and those who train to get better, which would you rather have at your club?). Those who don't compete here don't compete at the weekend. Once this is instilled in a squad, the week to week results take care of themselves.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

14. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

Whilst all of that is probably true players are media trained to not talk like they are ahead of themselves. While they probably do focus on the training session at hand, probably before the season starts Robbo probably has a plan when to rest guys like Cronk or his origin players so they are all good to go in September.
    Fortunately that’s all up to the coaching staff to decide on and manage the workload depending on how his players are feeling.

15. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    Heard O'brien on Triple M this morning. Didn't give much away but said he's very happy with the roster he's got to work with and when asked about next year's draw he replied he don't care who we play and where we play them. Also sounds like the first 6 weeks back will sort the men out from the boys.

packo, Lefty, Battler and 3 others like this.
  16. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    He’s already mentally in the players head by stating the roster is good. Bit of belief

Beaumont and Lefty like this.
  17. Lord of the Skraelings

Not our players apparently all pre-season we were all but guaranteed to make the 8 and weekly BS peices talking themselves up.

I blame our PR team majorly for all the BS media work they had the players doing rather than getting their head in the game, especially Ponga.

Lets hope Obi is a bit old school and flogs them and makes them earn accolades rather than gifting them to themselves.

18. Simon Templar

Simon Templar David Fa'alogo

Project Manager

Lordie, I agree with your last line , the age of entitlement has been proven a myth; you need to earn or take everything you want in Rugby League the opposition won't give you anything they actually use information in the Media as incentive.

Your leading line is a little more perplexing and possibly misdirected, I for one believe we were always in with a chance of cracking the top 8 last season and I know there were players who thought we were going to make the GF, Our PR team is there to ( as Packo states in his post above yours there to instill " a bit of Belief ". It should never be forgotten that it was the "Recruitment and Retention debacle" and the way it was handled that had more devastating effect on derailing our season.

A good team is built on cohesion and trust in their fellow team members and is forged and strengthened through adversity, which starts in the preseason and develops over the entire year, if this is derailed so is the work achieved over the year.

It is well recorded that administrative interference rarely has a positive effect on the Football department.

19. Lord of the Skraelings

Probably right Simon, I just get irriatated with the weekly fluff peices of how they are up for it and ready to take it to them and then we saw the peahearted efforts on the field!

20. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

O'Brien literally looks like the lovechild of Bellamy & Robinson. His face looks like Robinson & his hair/forehead look like Bellamy. Hope he can coach like it.