A-League season ends as Newcastle crowned Champions

Theknightsrule7

Matthew Gidley
With one round left, 4 teams are fighting for number one spot. Discuss it all here.

For some really weird reason I've only seen the away games on sunday arvo/ sunday night, I've been watching the games at united sports club adamstown

The problem is that when your setting a score you can sometimes try to hard and then end up losing.....

I hope its not POURING down tomorrow night like it has been alllllllllllll day long!!

*kick kick* darn it! I am going to the darn soccer tomorrow and am happy to stand in the rain for the footy but I dunno about soccer lol

there is no way id pay to watch the a league the footy is just so much better imagine paying 20 bucks to see a nil all draw in such a poor quality league

Yeah 0-0 draws are really bad, however the jets have only had 1 0-0 draw in the 1st 3 seasons at home & i hope it never happens again

I have a season pass so money is no issue

knight-no-7 said:
Thats the risk you take going to tennis.It could turn our very dull. 0-0 draws are a huge possibiliy.

Have you ever been to tennis? Especially known players... its amazing some of the rallies.

Much better than A-League.

AussieKnight said:
knight-no-7 said:
Thats the risk you take going to tennis.It could turn our very dull. 0-0 draws are a huge possibiliy.

Have you ever been to tennis? Especially known players... its amazing some of the rallies.

Much better than A-League.

Nop never been yo the tennis. But would love to. Yea how about the rally that Federer was involved in, which he lost yesterday. That was awesome. It would beat ALeague anyday. Im not that big a fan of soccer anyways.

I really hope Wellington win their final match this weekend, they have been a revelation here and great for the game. They don't deserve the spoon, it's been a brilliant year for them.

Bridge puts Jets on top

Article from: Daily telegraph

JETS 2 PERTH 1

NEWCASTLE Jets coach Gary van Egmond was a relieved man last night after Olyroos striker Mark Bridge came up with one of his specials to sink 10-man Perth Glory.

Bridge's 64th minute gem got the Jets home 2-1 but they certainly had to overcome the jitters before moving to the top of the A-League table for the first time this season.

Now they must play the waiting game to see what happens to the Central Coast Mariners, Sydney FC and Queensland Roar.

"If we get in the top two we'll give it (championship) a real shake," van Egmond said.

"We'll only get better. We've got Adam Griffiths coming back and we've signed the Korean boy (Song).

"I know there are teams there that don't like to play us and we have some unfinished business from last year."

When Joel Griffiths headed in his 12th goal after 22 minutes - a record for the A-league - it appeared the Jets might run away with it and finally end their hoodoo against the Glory, who had won all four previous matches against Newcastle at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

And that task appeared as though it might be even easier when Glory had Nick Rizzo sent off in the 37th minute for a challenge on Tarek Elrich.

Referee Michael Hester may have been quick to produce the red card, as he was with several yellows he handed out.

But van Egmond's worst fears were realised when Glory came up with an equaliser from a set piece in the dying moments of the first half.

Nikolai Topor-Stanley was on the end of a corner and headed into goal where Jamie Harnwell then headed into the net.

The Jets players seemed frustrated and were turning over possession rather easily before Tory Hearfield provided a defence splitting pass for Bridge to run onto.

Up until that point, Bridge appeared to have his mind elsewhere. But he showed just what he is capable off, heading off the challenge of Hayden Foxe and then hitting the ball with the outside of his right foot for what turned out to be the match winner.

Even after that goal, Newcastle had some shaky moments before the crowd of 16,212 knew their team were safely home and in with a chance of securing the minor title.

"In some ways it was probably more difficult to break them down when they had the 10 men than it was when they had the 11," van Egmond said.

"It was welcome relief that Bridgey scored and maybe we rued a few missed chances early on in the first half that we could have converted and we could have really galloped away with it.

"First and foremost it was important that we won and secured the three points. Would we have liked to have scored more goals? Yes, of course, and put more pressure on the other teams."

NEWCASTLE JETS 2 (J Griffiths 22m, M Bridge 64m) PERTH GLORY 1 (J Harnwell 45m) at EnergyAustralia Stadium, Newcastle. Crowd: 16212. Referee: M Hester.

Back