2023 Recruitment & Retention Thread

Dom & Bailey came over by themselves during the height of COVID lockdowns, 2 weeks of isolation in a hotel included. These 2 should have an easier time with family able to come with them and having 2 players who were just in a similar position to lean on. Going straight into floggings at pre-season training in the Aussie summer probably wouldn’t have helped either, so hopefully they get over as quickly as possible to get used to the surroundings/weather a bit more.

Who knows how they pan out but there's a lot to be excited about in both of them.

Pryce will be our best goal kicker the day he walks in.

Just had a look at good quality halves coming off contract this year. None

Back up halves though - Lachlan Lam and Kurt Falls both off contract this year. Be proper back up compared to Crossland and Hoy

Coming off contract in 23 the top two are Munster (from reports looks like they may be looking at making a play for him)

The other is Ben Hunt. I f we can't secure Munster, throw it at Hunt. We need someone to be our general, with plenty of "running halves" (Ponga, Pryce, Clifford - Even Milford if he signs on, which I doubt) We needs someone to be directing the team with Brailey.

Also saw Jordan Pezet is off contract at Melb next year, but I dare say Melb have plans for him to partner Hughes if Munster leaves. Haven't heard anything about him since he left Knights years ago, but know he's been in Storm system since.

Also with depth signings this year - If we secure Pryce, Kai-Pearce and Elliot I think next targets should be Kurt Falls and J'Maine Hopgood from Penrith. Kurt falls is a top goal kicker, long kicking game according to his stats and 2nd in try assists. Hopgood could be a great cut price replacement for Mann if we decide to cut him next year or even Fitzgibbon.

That'd be a recruitment for next year of - Will Pryce, Kai-Pearce, Adam Elliot, J'Maine Hopgood, Kurt Falls.

Pretty solid.

Last edited:
That'd be a recruitment for next year of - Will Pryce, Kai-Pearce, Adam Elliot, J'Maine Hopgood, Kurt Falls.
We don’t need Kurt Falls considering we will have Clune and Pryce as backup if Milf decides to stay with us.

Reactions: BTP
Havent seen him play enough to be fair. Try and watch cup games when i can. His stats are good, but that goes with being in quality Penrith team.

So Lachlan Lam then? I doubt Milf will stay to be honest, I think he needs Bennett to be happy, a little like Dariuus was. Clune is a strong back up I agree. I'm also not sure if Clifford will stay... Really feel he could ask on compassionate grounds with his young family. Which I wouldn't hate on him for. I have two young kids and work shift work, it's hard enough on the missues when i'm not there a few days in a row. But I really hope he can figure it out and have his family move down here, at least he'd be home every night for her. Long term Cliff and Munsta (salivate) or Cliff and Pryce (also salivate)

Not big on Harris-Tavita?
He's good yeah, noticed he's been mentioned a lot in this forum. But feel he's more utility then trained 5/8. In Lam he's 5/8 and that's it. So better passing and kicking game, compared to Tavita's running game.

Anthony Milford interview:

He expresses a lot of gratitude to the club for being the only mob in the NRL to stick by him and has loved doing sessions with Joey, but does admit his manager has had “some talks” with the Dolphins.

If playing with Kalyn does help both their games as much as I think it potentially could I do think we should still pitch him on staying though. He has to take a lot of responsibility for his form over the last few years but by the same token he just isn’t built to be “The Guy” on a team and the biggest issue he faced as a player was being separated from Ben Hunt in my opinion. Looking ahead a fair way but that would be my angle (assuming it’s working or at least looking promising) - there’s a big difference between playing with Ponga/Brailey and playing with say Isaako, Sean O Sullivan, hooker to be named later etc.

Would it be worth looking at signing Trent Barrett as an assistant to replace Willie Peters at year's end. Don't be haters because of his Head Coaching record, just look at his assistant coaching record from Penrith as an attacking coach. I think it could work well if he ends up getting the sack from Bulldogs

Would it be worth looking at signing Trent Barrett as an assistant to replace Willie Peters at year's end. Don't be haters because of his Head Coaching record, just look at his assistant coaching record from Penrith as an attacking coach. I think it could work well if he ends up getting the sack from Bulldogs
Somehow I don't think that was all Barrett's doing at Penrith

Somehow I don't think that was all Barrett's doing at Penrith
They made it to the grand final the year he was their attacking coach (2020) but didn't even finish in the 8 in 2019. Think he would of somewhat contributed, Cleary actually states that he had a lot to do with their attacking and created systems that they continue to use... but sorry I'll take your word not Ivan Cleary's.

and no one said it was all Barretts doing so don't know where that came from.

Edrick Lee has sign with the DOLPHINS for 2023! thoughts?

I think this is a loss for us, good on Eddie but I think we have more chance of making finals with Young and Lee on the wings rather than Young and Tuala... Just hope this means we are in the market for a quality outside back

Back