2023 NRLW Recruitment & Retention Thread

Owey

Todd Bates
The women's NBA has been established for decades now and has had many bonafided superstars in that time. There season is half as long as the men's. The league has never turned a profit and is subsidised to the tune of US$50 million a year by the NBA, around the salary of a top male player. They play in the state of the art arenas provided by the mens franchises, they don't have to provide their own. They go through the same criticism every year about the disparity in pays between the men and women. Truth is, they don't have a league without the men's game.

Every sports league around the world has remunerated their professional participants to a level allowed by the amount of money the sport bought in through TV deals, sponsors and gate takings. Eyeballs on the sport is what sets the level of players pay. Our nrl players are the best in the world at what they do, but they earn in a year what top Premier League players earn in a week. I really can't wear the argument that women are underpaid compared to their male counterparts in the same sport when they just don't bring the money in. The eyeballs you can command on your sport is what governs what the players are remunerated. I don't mind massive sports commissions like the NBA and nrl subsidising women's sports at all, I just get annoyed by the calls of unfairness.

I have had this discussion about half a dozen times now since the announcing of the men's and women's Nrl Salary caps around how disproportionate they are. What has been common amongst every person complaining about what the women are paid is that none of them have been to a game. Most watched the gf as the first game they'd taken in. All of a sudden its how good is this? They deserve what the men get. I've been to the home games the girls have played, watched nearly every knights match since the girls came in. My closing argument has always been, if you want the girls to be better paid, watch the games. Get to them live. Then, sponsorship and TV rights take care of themselves. Otherwise, you can't create bigger salaries out if nothing.

HarVeeGee13

Matthew Gidley
Bill Burr kind of gave us the definitive statement on this stuff:

I know the NRLW had good pay TV metrics etc earlier in the year, but my understanding is that the comp we won didn’t do as well? Something to do with the early year women’s comp being on during men’s pre-season and only competing with early round games during finals time?

IMO the above, and the failings of for example the WNBA, should inform how they think about how it’s run:

1. Schedule the women’s comp for when it’s not competing with important men’s games. It should be its own thing and the women’s GF shouldn’t be a curtain raiser to anything.
2. Unless a club is doing a double header with a men’s game, use a smaller venue and charge less for tickets. For example - I am strongly of the view that the women’s grand final should be played at CommBank stadium. Part of why the crowds are so terrible for the WNBA is that it’s not meaningfully cheaper than NBA tickets. Which is insane. A misguided “equal treatment” thing I guess.
3. Knights win every premiership.

Owey

Todd Bates
Bill Burr kind of gave us the definitive statement on this stuff:

I know the NRLW had good pay TV metrics etc earlier in the year, but my understanding is that the comp we won didn’t do as well? Something to do with the early year women’s comp being on during men’s pre-season and only competing with early round games during finals time?

IMO the above, and the failings of for example the WNBA, should inform how they think about how it’s run:

1. Schedule the women’s comp for when it’s not competing with important men’s games. It should be its own thing and the women’s GF shouldn’t be a curtain raiser to anything.
2. Unless a club is doing a double header with a men’s game, use a smaller venue and charge less for tickets. For example - I am strongly of the view that the women’s grand final should be played at CommBank stadium. Part of why the crowds are so terrible for the WNBA is that it’s not meaningfully cheaper than NBA tickets. Which is insane. A misguided “equal treatment” thing I guess.
3. Knights win every premiership.
Bill Burr, legend. Very underrated how good his character was in the mandalorian as well.

jamesgould

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Staff member
Admin
The women's NBA has been established for decades now and has had many bonafided superstars in that time. There season is half as long as the men's. The league has never turned a profit and is subsidised to the tune of US$50 million a year by the NBA, around the salary of a top male player. They play in the state of the art arenas provided by the mens franchises, they don't have to provide their own. They go through the same criticism every year about the disparity in pays between the men and women. Truth is, they don't have a league without the men's game.

Every sports league around the world has remunerated their professional participants to a level allowed by the amount of money the sport bought in through TV deals, sponsors and gate takings. Eyeballs on the sport is what sets the level of players pay. Our nrl players are the best in the world at what they do, but they earn in a year what top Premier League players earn in a week. I really can't wear the argument that women are underpaid compared to their male counterparts in the same sport when they just don't bring the money in. The eyeballs you can command on your sport is what governs what the players are remunerated. I don't mind massive sports commissions like the NBA and nrl subsidising women's sports at all, I just get annoyed by the calls of unfairness.

I have had this discussion about half a dozen times now since the announcing of the men's and women's Nrl Salary caps around how disproportionate they are. What has been common amongst every person complaining about what the women are paid is that none of them have been to a game. Most watched the gf as the first game they'd taken in. All of a sudden its how good is this? They deserve what the men get. I've been to the home games the girls have played, watched nearly every knights match since the girls came in. My closing argument has always been, if you want the girls to be better paid, watch the games. Get to them live. Then, sponsorship and TV rights take care of themselves. Otherwise, you can't create bigger salaries out if nothing.
I don’t go to any NRL games since I live in Wellington, NZ, does this mean I shouldn’t have a say on anything?

But I always go along to the Kiwi Ferns game when it is an opener for a Kiwis test match, and I go to a list of women’s cricket (here the t20 competition are double headers for every single match, and switches up the order whether it’s the men’s or women’s game as the curtain raiser).

I don’t think anyone is saying the pay should be the same, but I personally think they deserve more than one men’s NRL salary for the effort and performance they put in … and this in turn will only lead to an even better product.

I don’t really get the comparison to the NBA because that’s a totally different sport and situation. But the fact is they women will never receive the same favourable time slots and coverage as the men. If that is the sole consideration then we might as well give up now.

I see it as a club paying a salary to a young player to get their services and make sure they join their club. Sure they aren’t worth that money playing SG Ball or Jersey Flegg … but they will become an important part of the club in the future, an investment. It’s not just all purely about economics.

Owey

Todd Bates
I don’t go to any NRL games since I live in Wellington, NZ, does this mean I shouldn’t have a say on anything?

But I always go along to the Kiwi Ferns game when it is an opener for a Kiwis test match, and I go to a list of women’s cricket (here the t20 competition are double headers for every single match, and switches up the order whether it’s the men’s or women’s game as the curtain raiser).

I don’t think anyone is saying the pay should be the same, but I personally think they deserve more than one men’s NRL salary for the effort and performance they put in … and this in turn will only lead to an even better product.

I don’t really get the comparison to the NBA because that’s a totally different sport and situation. But the fact is they women will never receive the same favourable time slots and coverage as the men. If that is the sole consideration then we might as well give up now.

I see it as a club paying a salary to a young player to get their services and make sure they join their club. Sure they aren’t worth that money playing SG Ball or Jersey Flegg … but they will become an important part of the club in the future, an investment. It’s not just all purely about economics.
Do you watch nrl games on the box? That itself makes the game a more valuable commodity to sponsors and rights holders. I just reject the argument I'm having regularly that our knights girls are worth so much more from people who have either never watched them or watched the gf. If you think the game needs more support, then support it.

Kurriboy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
TV rating is worth much more than a person going to the game. The money in sports comes from TV, comes from advertising.

Do we have figures on WNRL viewers compared to NRL.

krustykraz

Tony Butterfield
TV rating is worth much more than a person going to the game. The money in sports comes from TV, comes from advertising.

Do we have figures on WNRL viewers compared to NRL.
Agree.
It took 100+ years for the NRL to get to the level they are. The NRLW will improve year on year, it takes time. Eventually there will be more teams with a longer season and more interest. Their pay will increase accordingly.

Lord of the Skraelings

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Something rugby league never seems to quite get ... you need to invest in things to get a return on them.

How'd the under 21's professional comp go James?

Game would be weary after getting burned at that.

I have no issue with them being soley funded off their own revenue, NRL is being generous topping it up otherwise.

FYI I watched plenty of womens footy last year, like most of it enjoyed it more than the men's for obvious reasons.

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Article on recruitment.
Griffiths says he's in early talks and no one has yet told him they won't be back, but he expects to lose some to expansion clubs.
Says that bringing in players and putting them up in hotels is unsustainable financially in the long term, so we must breed our own in the future.
Says Teitzel, Manzelmann and Upton might be targeted by North Qld and Takarangi might be targeted by Cronulla.

Nothing we really didn't know, but I think we need to throw everything we can at keeping Upton - she is a key player. I'd love to keep Manzelmann too, but I'm sure she'll go to her home side.

BTP

Darren Forward
Thought Upton already declared she was staying around here to play with knights again, same with Caitlin Johnson.

Other news is great to see Mia Middleton get a spot in Aussie All Stars. Only played Harvey Norman Cup. Really expect her to be signed up to Knights NRLW squad