2023 NRLW Recruitment & Retention Thread

krustykraz

Tony Butterfield

In the Sunday Herald today.​

I want Luke here’: Sheens makes Brooks stance clear​

Tigers coach Tim Sheens has made his stance clear on the never-ending speculation surrounding the Knights signing Brooks stating “I want Luke here”.

The 27-year-old has been linked with a move to the Hunter since Mitchell Pearce’s departure ahead of the 2022 season.

While Brooks is currently free to negotiate with rivals for 2024 and beyond, Sheens won’t be releasing the million-dollar halfback this season.

“It’s not our intention to release him, and there’s been no request from Newcastle. It’s been talked and talked and talked about,” Sheens told the SMH.

“He’s due to turn up here on November 14, and I’m looking forward to working with him. Benji (Marshall) and I are looking forward to getting our hands on him.

“Right at the moment, there’s been no movement from the Knights and we’re moving forward with him as our halfback.
Brooks could possibly be a decent player in the NRLW

mullenmagic

Clint Newton
Buzz saying next year's salary looks like it'll go from $350k to $800k but the minimum contracts will jump from $10k to $30k which means a lot of the big names would be facing pay cuts, and that Rugby Australia is already reaching out to players with their World Cup coming up. Tamika Upton is the only name mentioned as already being contacted but Jesse Southwell is on the radar too.

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Buzz saying next year's salary looks like it'll go from $350k to $800k but the minimum contracts will jump from $10k to $30k which means a lot of the big names would be facing pay cuts, and that Rugby Australia is already reaching out to players with their World Cup coming up. Tamika Upton is the only name mentioned as already being contacted but Jesse Southwell is on the radar too.

I can't read the story and I don't take a lot of notice of Union, but wasn't there a news story just last week about NZ beating England to win the women's WC, which was the first loss in 36 games for England (if I remember it correctly)?

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Olympics coming up, not World Cup. My mistake,
I wouldn't mind the girls going off for a 7 tournament if it didn't disrupt our finals.
We lost the Tarsha Gale grandfinal this year because Jesse Southwell was in camp for the Commonwealth Games - so that was crap.
But if Upton wanted to win a gold medal at the olympics in the off season, that could only help us sell more tickets.

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Talking of the girls, I notice 5 of the 31 girls in the Emerging Blues squad are from the Greater Northern Tigers - or Yasmin Clydesdale country in the upper Hunter/New England region.
There was an article earlier this year showing her as a PE teacher surrounded by young girls wanting to play league.
I think there were 3 others contracted to the Knights, 1 from Hunter Sports high and a heap from the central coast and the north coast.

sherpa

Tony Kemp
Talking of the girls, I notice 5 of the 31 girls in the Emerging Blues squad are from the Greater Northern Tigers - or Yasmin Clydesdale country in the upper Hunter/New England region.
There was an article earlier this year showing her as a PE teacher surrounded by young girls wanting to play league.
I think there were 3 others contracted to the Knights, 1 from Hunter Sports high and a heap from the central coast and the north coast.
She's a great player and had a sensational World Cup

mullenmagic

Clint Newton
From the Herald article on Caitlan Johnston:

While set for a well-earned break, Johnston is looking forward to the challenge of trying to win back-to-back premierships at the Knights.

A salary cap and collective bargaining agreement for the women's game is still to be locked in for 2023, but Johnston has no intention of leaving her hometown club.

She is confident the employment dramas will be sorted out and hopes players will soon be able to ink multi-year deals with clubs, unlike the season-long contracts they have signed in recent years.

"If there's deals that come out with multiple years, I'm more than happy to sign it but I don't think I'm going anywhere," Johnston said.

"I've found my place and this is where I'm comfortable. I think I'll be here for a very long time."