2021 Rugby League World Cup (2022)

Shame he has picked money over helping out a minnow but you can’t fault him at the same time.

Article on Dom Young now wanting to play for England.
He says it is a hard decision because he'd like to play with his brother, but says he has had positive talks with Shaun Wane (England Coach) and is hopeful he'll be picked for England. He goes on to say he was born in England, so he's English.

He doesn't say he'd probably have to pay his own way to England to play for Jamacia and that England will pay his way and give him a big wad of cash, but that would be my first consideration. In the words of 10 cc, "Art for art's sake, money for god's sake".
On the pay his own way point I understand the RLWC has chartered a few flights from Australia to get players across so that wouldn't be an issue. Guaranteed that England would pay more on top but all teams have an equal guaranteed base level of income from the RLWC (probably a paltry amount but subsidised nonetheless).

12 months ago Dom wouldn't have even had the faintest sniff of selection for England but has had one of the great bolting seasons in a poor side to kick down that door, for the first time in a long time England have a couple of the best backs in the NRL (Farnworth, Young) so reversing 2 decades of poor performances in a home WC could be quite the tantalising prospect for an obviously ambitious young man. I've said before and I stand by the statement that Dom could be anything in the game, being part of an England side that wins their first World Cup (whether in 2022 or 2025) would be a monumental RL achievement - dwarfing even the greatest of Origin wins. Something like that could push players into a certain stature in the game and as you've mentioned in another thread certainly propel forward his future contract values as well.

I think from all the ambition we've seen from Dom, an opportunity like that no matter how small the chances is something he would look toward as unmissable.

Danny Levi is in the Samoan squad! Milford too. At least there'll be sone ex-knights in some of these squads, even if there's not going to be many current players ...

rlwc22-samoa-squad-4x5-copy-1.jpg

That little known talent (Taulagi) just made the Australian squad. Surely if Hammer was good enough he would make it in the Cowboys side over him right?

Kiwis vs Leeds warm up game, also featuring ex-Knights Adam Cuthbertson having a farewell game for Leeds!

I find it really weird that having not played a test since late 2019, the Kangaroos haven’t played a warm up game.

Are they taking the tournament a bit lightly?

I find it really weird that having not played a test since late 2019, the Kangaroos haven’t played a warm up game.

Are they taking the tournament a bit lightly?
You could probably consider the PMXIII game a warmup but on the other hand they're resting all Grand Final players in their hardest group stage matchup so yes - I think you could say they're taking the tournament lightly.

You could probably consider the PMXIII game a warmup but on the other hand they're resting all Grand Final players in their hardest group stage matchup so yes - I think you could say they're taking the tournament lightly.
Yeah I’d thought the same thing with the PM’s game and the lack of Penrith players vs Fiji …

I hope they’re prepared for the semi vs NZ, coz I think that will decide the tournament.

Yeah I’d thought the same thing with the PM’s game and the lack of Penrith players vs Fiji …

I hope they’re prepared for the semi vs NZ, coz I think that will decide the tournament.
Yeah I tend to agree re the semi, on their best day a Tonga/England could trouble the finalist but the safe bet is the winner coming from that semi.

Personally I'm backing NZ at this stage.

Yeah I tend to agree re the semi, on their best day a Tonga/England could trouble the finalist but the safe bet is the winner coming from that semi.

Personally I'm backing NZ at this stage.
England do always seem to have the wood over NZ in England, that’s the only thing for me … if it ends up being an NZ England final I think England are a chance.

The numbering thing is weird. Is it just Australia or all the teams?
I think it’s meant to be all teams? But most teams have put their top team in 1-17 with normal numbers.

There was an article saying it was Michael Hagan who thought up Australia doing it by most games. No comment on it being his great idea! 😂

Such a dumb idea anyway, just stick with 1-17 as usual.

I feel for the less fortunate with vision impairments as well as the mentally handicapped (and hearing impairments considering the quality of the broadcast/commentators) nrl has been too boneheaded to put the names on the jerseys so the numbers I could imagine would be pretty important in identifying who you are watching.

Back