2021 NSW Cup

Was a good game, high score, Ticehurst, Black, Hoskins, Lucas and Sasagi all strong, didnt see anything outstanding from Hodgson and he looks a bit small.
when 1sts get back to strength then this will further improve this side, might be semi’s bound

Hodgson looks to me like he’ll be one of those who plays better in firsts with better, cleaner link up play. I like how active he is in support and all that and he runs it like a man when returning the ball. At the moment he’s not getting the ball in good positions. There was one moment in the first half where he got it behind him out the back of shape so he was flat footed, got hit hard by a back rower, but bumped that dude off fairly easily. Shows he has good balance and he’s strong for his size. He might not kill it overnight because you can’t just toss him bad ball and have him run guys over like Dom can, but he looks like he has potential to me, and absolutely killing guys with superior physicality through lower grades can hurt you when you get to firsts and all of a sudden you’re not the biggest kid in the playground anymore.

Hodgson looks to me like he’ll be one of those who plays better in firsts with better, cleaner link up play. I like how active he is in support and all that and he runs it like a man when returning the ball. At the moment he’s not getting the ball in good positions. There was one moment in the first half where he got it behind him out the back of shape so he was flat footed, got hit hard by a back rower, but bumped that dude off fairly easily. Shows he has good balance and he’s strong for his size. He might not kill it overnight because you can’t just toss him bad ball and have him run guys over like Dom can, but he looks like he has potential to me, and absolutely killing guys with superior physicality through lower grades can hurt you when you get to firsts and all of a sudden you’re not the biggest kid in the playground anymore.
Ala Sione.........although I'd have him back as that elusive winger he once was. Not the head knock prone backrower/utility thing he become.

I have to think that Mitch Black has some sort of minor injury that is limiting his time on the field.
He was training with firstgrade in the off season and seemed to be our second choice hooker behind Brailey, but has hardly got on the field all season.
Yesterday he looked to be on his way to man of the match as he tore souths apart, but was taken off after fairly short minutes.

/Was a good game, high score, Ticehurst, Black, Hoskins, Lucas and Sasagi all strong, didnt see anything outstanding from Hodgson and he looks a bit small.
when 1sts get back to strength then this will further improve this side, might be semi’s bound

Managed to watch the game yesterday and thought Hodgson looked starved of space and ball. Was going to comment similar to HarVeeGee, he needs feeding into space to utilise his athleticism and feet from what I know of him. He was there 9/10 in support and not scared to drive the ball in at any point. Read last week after the Eels game someone commenting how similar he plays to Tedesco and saw that myself yesterday, he's extremely active around the ruck and seems to hunt the game down in attack. I recon he'd be a different gravy in first grade. Thought Lucas was outstanding too, no one beating his meters yesterday.

Krystian Mapapalangi was probably playing his first game against seniors.
He was monstered a bit at times and eventually went off injured, but I thought he held his gloves up pretty well.
He ran for 101 metres, made 8 tackles, 0 missed and made a classy pass for a try assist for Lucas.
5 SG Ball players - used now in reserve grade - Krystian Mapapalangi, Christopher Veaila, Zane Camroux, Fletcher Myers and Tevita Toloi.
I can't remember us using Ball players in reserves before, although both Sione and Bradman played firstgrade when they were young enough to play Ball.

I think all the people saying the club was wrong to have players this young playing reserves was bad for their development would have to be eating their words by now, surely. These kids look hungry and we’re seeing who has what it takes against men rather than wasting time and getting hopes up with guys who can dominate other 19 year olds but are in trouble when they make the step up.

Hopefully a few more of the players who would have been playing Flegg this year get at least a chance to show what they can do.
Plenty have got a shot - Wilkinson, Harry Croker, Cooper Jenkins, Riley Jones, Jaron Purcell, Mitch Black, Dylan Lucas, Daniel Ticehurst, Christian Ma'amania - but there are others I'd like to see like Max Buderus who is currently 5/8 for Rosellas, Tom Baker who played so well for Cessnock last year, Cal Burgess who won the Presidents cup with Maitland last year.

Looking through the real NRL team lists, I see Chris Veaila played for Lakes against the Entrance.
One week he is leaping over Blake Ferguson to score a try any NRL player would be proud of, and the next week he's playing against The Entrance.

Highlights from yesterdays win. Lucas looks pretty quick! And our prop at 8 looked handy for a big fellow. Ticehurst is it??
Ticehurst's 4th game as starting prop and he looks better every game. I notice Garrett Smith played in the real NRL this week, but I hope that's temporary because he has had some quality games early on.

Garrett Smith seems to have fallen out of favour with coach/selectors, having a dev contract now seems behind Croker and Ticehurst without one.

1. Bailey Hodgson
2. Jacob Kiraz
3. Dylan Lucas
4. Simi Sasagi
5. Braydon Musgrove
6. McKenzie Baker
7. Liam Wilkinson
8. Daniel Ticehurst
9. Chris Randall
10. Matt Croker
11. Zac Hosking
12. Ben Talty
13. Jirah Momoisea

Interchange:
14. Zane Camroux
15. Jaron Purcell
16. Cooper Jenkins
17. John Toleafoa

18 Mitchell Black

Strongest team of the year against the side that beat us 50-4 in round 2 and is coming second on the table.

Obviously we are picking a young side for games against sides who are not serious in reserve grade, and our best side against teams who are having a go.
Souths have some big names but are bottom of the ladder, and clearly, Wayne is just wanting them to have a glorified training run, so our young guys got great experience beating a side full of firstgraders.
Wests are second best behind Penrith in this comp and are trying hard to win, and also to force their way into firstgrade.

So the team we have picked this week would be a fair indication of who is looking good at the moment.

My feeling is that Bailey Hodgson could have a real breakthrough game this week, and I'd love to see Big Dan shine against a quality pack who are having a serious go. I'd really start thinking that Dan is a future firstgrader if he pulls out a big one this week.

Back