2021 NSW Cup

Kiraz is off with HIA - replaced by Kane Evans

Huth Jones and Kiraz have all had HIA with Huth back on. Young is off with a leg injury.

Only player on the bench now is Saulo.

Knights 30 - 0 Dragons
Knights 34 - 0 Dragons after 60
Knights 34 - 6 Dragons after 65

tries
  • Dylan Lucas 16'
  • Jacob Kiraz 25'
  • Dominic Young 33'
  • Dominic Young 38'
  • Jack Johns 41'
  • McKenzie Baker 51'
  • Dylan Lucas 58'

Last edited:
Sasagi is off and Saulo is on in reserve grade - 3 backs are off - jones is HIA and all the other forwards including the whole bench are on. Croker has been out there the whole time at starting prop.

Knights 40 - 6 Dragons after 78

tries
  • Dylan Lucas 16'
  • Jacob Kiraz 25'
  • Dominic Young 33'
  • Dominic Young 38'
  • Jack Johns 41'
  • McKenzie Baker 51'
  • Dylan Lucas 58'
  • Zac Hosking 76'
With all the HIAs and injuries, the only players to go 80 are fullback Baker, centre Lucas, wing O'Meley, hooker Randall, prop Croker and lock Johns

Fulltime
40-6 win.
I suspect the stats for this game will look crazy. Randall, Croker and Hosking probably worked their bums off.

Manly 10 - 6 Knights after 25 minutes
Manly 10 - 12 Knights after 29 minutes
Manly 10 - 18 Knights after 43 minutes
manly 16 - 18 Knights after 52 minutes
Manly 16 - 24 Knights after 55 minutes
Manly 16 - 30 Knights after 75

trys
  • Harry Van Dartel 24'
  • McKenzie Baker 28'
  • Simi Sasagi 43'
  • Garrett Smith 54'
  • Matt Croker 75'
conversions
  • Simi Sasagi 25'
  • Simi Sasagi 29'
  • Simi Sasagi 45'
  • Simi Sasagi 55'
  • Simi Sasagi 77'

Last edited:
Blake Campbell could be the guy who played for QLD under 16s in 2016 alongside McKenzie Baker and Garratt Smith (against Crossland, Madden, Brock Gardner and Tom Baker) or he could be the guy who played for South Newcastle last year in the grandfinal.
Or maybe it's the same guy and he did both.

Blake Campbell is now with the Burleigh Bears.

30 - 16 win in NSW cup.
They are still listing Musgrove at hooker, but one of the interchanges was Mitch Black for Liam Wilkinson, so I'd say they split the hooker role.

Simi was one of the halves. Jack Johns was interchanging with forwards, so he wasn't the other one. The only other player I know has played some halves is Nick O'Meley - so he might have played 5/8, Simi at halfback, and Musgrove at centre - just a guess.

Hey Billy, what is Simi’s goal kicking like? If he is a decent kicker, that would be a very handy skill for us.

Hey Billy, what is Simi’s goal kicking like? If he is a decent kicker, that would be a very handy skill for us.
I've never seen him do it.
When he played under 18s we had Jock Madden kicking at over 80%, so he never got a shot at that level, and he's only played a handfull of games since then.
In the first few rounds of this comp we had Mac Baker kicking really well.
Last week Simi kicked 4 from 8 and this week 5 from 5.

The report of the game on the NSWRL site doesn't mention Musgrove at all but goes on to say Wilkinson played halfback but describes him running and passing out of dummy half for a few of our tries.
So the report basically clears up nothing. I don't know who played halfback - I think Wilkinson played hooker in the 7 jersey, and I have no idea where Musgrove played.

Jarrod Ryan

The Newcastle Knights have continued their momentum off the back of a convincing Round 4 win to beat the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles 30-16 at HE Laybutt Stadium.

The Blacktown Workers started the game with high energy in attack. A fantastic kick chase gifted the home team a repeat set to help secure the first points of game. Burrowing through the defensive line from the play-the-ball, hooker Denzel Tonise put the Sea Eagles on the score board within five minutes of kick-off.

Ten minutes later the Sea Eagles moved the ball up the length of the field where five-eighth Brad Keighran split the Knights’ defensive line. A quick play-the-ball gave his team the momentum to spread the ball to the right edge where winger Sione Fonua barrelled through multiple defenders to score his first try of the game. A missed conversion held the Sea Eagles to a ten-point lead.

Fonua squandered a chance to score a double within the first 20 minutes of the game when he spilled the ball metres from the line as he ran through an open edge.

After a slow start in attack, the Knights finally crossed the line when Liam Wilkinson ran out from dummy-half, sending an arching ball to his right edge. Experienced Sea Eagles centre Jorge Taufua ran out of the defensive line to knock the wind out of Nicholas O’Meley, leaving his edge exposed for the Knights’ Harry Van Dartel to cross the try-line.

Clearly spurred on by their attacking success and the fresh legs of interchange players John Toleafoa and Jaron Purcell, the Knights stormed up the field with Liam Wilkinson forcing a dropout.

The Sea Eagles were unable to hold off the Knights’ attacking pressure as fullback McKenzie Baker burned through the defensive line to cross for Newcastle’s second try of the game. A successful conversion by Simi Sasagi gave the visitors a two-point lead.

Some inspired defensive efforts after consistent attack in their own half kept Newcastle ahead at halftime.

Coming out of the halftime break, the Knights played a much higher energy style of football with strong runs from their forward pack. Sending a grubber behind the Blacktown Workers’ try-line defence, Wilkinson set up his halves partner Simi Sasagi who dived onto the ball for the first try of the half.

Looking for more attacking opportunities, Sea Eagles captain Brad Keighran found the touch line for the only 40/20 of the game. Exploiting a stripping penalty five metres from the line, Keighran set up Jordin Leiu who was rewarded for his consistently powerful runs to score a try.

However, the Sea Eagles were unable to back up success in attack with effective defence. The Knights, who were once again able to make constant metres off each play, feigned a fifth-tackle kick which opened a gap in the defensive line for prop Garrett Smith to score between the posts from first-receiver.

The Knights secured their win with another explosive first-receiver run when Matt Croker crossed the try-line in the middle of the field with less than five minutes left in the game.

Despite multiple attempts at Hail Mary passes by the Sea Eagles halves, it was too little too late for the home team who will be looking forward to a much-needed bye round next week.

Stats are in for the game. Top 3 for fantasy points we’re Hosking, Croker and Garrett Smith with all about 100 meters and 35plus tackles.
From the numbers, I’d say Mac Baker played in the halves, did some kicking and only ran 45 metres. Simi ran for over 100 metres and did the most kicks in the halves.
I’d say either Matt Soper Lawler or Nick Omeley played fullback because they both had 150 plus running metres.
The biggest surprise was Garrett Smith topping the tackle count with 39 in just 41 minutes.

Back