2021 NSW Cup

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
So it appears we will be playing the postponed round 2 Match against Newtown.
We beat Newtown a few weeks ago, but the named side are all players from outside the top 30 - not that we won't make changes like every week.
The game will be played at Maitland 1.30PM Saturday.

1. McKenzie Baker
2. Harry Van Dartel
3. Jacob Kiraz
4. Henry Penn
5. Chris Vea'ila
6. Zane Camroux
7. Liam Wilkinson
8. Garrett Smith
9. Luke Huth
10. Mat Croker
11. Zac Hosking
12. Ben Talty
13. Jaron Purcell

Interchange:

14. Mitch Black
15. Daniel Ticehurst
16. John Toleafoa
17. Christian Ma'anaima

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
So Ryan went down to the pub and asked if anyone wanted a game I think is the selection policy this week.

20. Heath Gibbs
2. Harry Van Dartel
5. Chris Vea'ila
21, Cooper Jenkins
23 Kurt Donoghoe
6. Zane Camroux
7. Liam Wilkinson
15. Daniel Ticehurst
9. Luke Huth
10. Mat Croker
11. Zac Hosking
12. Ben Talty
13. Jaron Purcell

Interchange:

19 Riley Jones
25 Toni Mataele
17. Christian Ma'anaima
8. Garrett Smith

27 Fletcher Myers

Owey

Troy Fletcher
Toni Mataele's first game against the men, Purcell starting the first time. High hopes for both, hope they go well.

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
If I had to guess, I'd say Chris Vea'ila will start at fullback, Riley Jones and Heath Gibbs will start in the centres, Cooper Jenkins will start on the bench as a second rower, and maybe Wilkinson or Donoghue will start as bench utliity.

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Heath Gibbs and Riley Jones were both big, hardrunning centres who were rated a lot in our juniors. I always thought Heath would go on with it and make firstgrade like his uncles.

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
10-4 at halftime

We replaced Croker, Hosking and Ticehurst after 30 minutes with Smith, Mataele and Ma'amaina

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Knights 16 - 8 Jets with 5 minutes to go
tries
  • Heath Gibbs 8'
  • Christopher Veaila 36'
  • Riley Jones 72'

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Knights 22 - 8 Jets with 3 minutes to go

• Heath Gibbs 8'
  • Christopher Veaila 36'
  • Riley Jones 72'
  • Cooper Jenkins 76'

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Fulltime
Pretty good win since we didn't have a single top 30 player and only 2 development players, and Jets had at least 3 firstgrade experienced players and a few older guys like Zac Woolford.

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
We have jumped from 7th to 5th on the ladder with a bye next week, so a chance to go as high as 3rd if other teams lose next week.

member 2299

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
There are half a dozen in that side I have hopes for Billy, including Purcell, Gibbs, Camroux, Hutch and Croker, with maybe a couple of late bloomers jusytmaking their way into that side.

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Knights defeat Jets for a much needed victory

Newcastle Knights have secured their 5th win of the season after defeating Newtown Jets 22-8 at Maitland Sports Ground in Newcastle on Saturday 15th May.

Fullback Heath Gibbs opened the Knights account in the 8th minute after a standard backline play saw him crash over in the left corner, with Zane Camroux successfully adding the two points.

Bronson Garlick added to an already impressive try tally for 2021 after he went from dummy half and scored in the 24th minute.

The Knights struck just before half-time through Christopher Veaila after they stripped the Jets for numbers on the left hand side. Camroux was unsuccessful with the boot and the Knights went into the break up 10-4.

The first 29 minutes of the second half were an arm wrestle as both sides struggled to gain ascendancy, although it was the Jets who scored next through Edward Aiono in the 69th minute.

From there, the Knights went in through Harvey Van Dartel, who skipped around some tired defenders in the middle and passed to Riley Jones in support. Camroux added the extras and the Knights led 16-4 with just eight minutes remaining.

The last try of the match capped off an important win for the Knights after a Liam Wilkinson chip kick looked to be rolling into touch, until Cooper Jenkins came flying through to ground the ball in spectacular fashion. Camroux wouldn’t be denied from the sideline and capped off a 22-8 victory for his side.
Sounds like Camroux had his kicking boots on.

I think it's a million to 1 that Heath Gibbs was playing fullback. I'd be more inclined to believe it if they said he was playing prop. He was probably playing centre, but he might have been playing second row - never played fullback in his life.

Billy

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Stats are in for the game.
The standout for me is young Chris Veaila having 17 runs for 169 metres with 70 post contact metres, 1 line break, 1 try and 1 try assist.
Huth topped the tackle count - again
Hosking topped the fantasy points - again
Heath Gibbs also had great stats, as did Matt Croker and Ben Talty.
In fact, the only real bad stat was Kurt Donoghue missing 9 tackles. Everyone else seems to have had a great game.

Matty23

Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus
Still very questionable as to how players like Huth, Croker, Hosking didn’t get development deals. I don’t think I’ll ever understand it. Also what’s the go with Jack Johns?