2020 Harold Matts and SG Ball

I notice Noah Ryan played wing for NSW country under 18s on their tour of the UK.
He was a very clever 5/8 in our under 16s in 2018 and he played mostly halfback for the Newcastle under 18s in the Johns cup this year.
It will be interesting if Jonah Pezet and Ryan are our halves in Ball this year. In Mathews, Ryan was the main playmaker and Pezet was mostly a running half, but this year Pezet has improved his playmaking 1000%, so not sure who would be calling the shots - Pezet I imagine.

Ball and Mathews draws are out.
We start with away games against Manly at lottoland on Feb 8.
Manly have been pretty strong in recent seasons, so it's not an easy start.

Ball Draw

Round 1 - Manly v Knights - Lottoland stadium - 8th Feb
Round 2 - Bye
Round 3 - West Coast Pirates v Knights - Ken Allen Field, Perth - 22nd Feb
Round 4 - Knights v Bulldogs - Maitland Sports ground - 29 Feb
Round 5 - Dragons V Knights - Mascot Oval - 7th March
Round 6 - Knights V Central Coast Roosters - Cessnock Sports Ground - 14th March
Round 7 - Knights V Tigers - Cessnock Sports Ground - 21st March
Round 8 - Penrith v Knights - Penrith - 28th March
Round 9 - Knights V Rabbitohs - St Johns Oval Charlestown ????- 4th April

Last edited:
Mathews Draw

Round 1 - Manly v Knights - Lottoland stadium - 8th Feb
Round 2 - Bye
Round 3 - Steelers v Knights - Wollongong - 22nd Feb
Round 4 - Knights v Bulldogs - Maitland Sports ground - 29 Feb
Round 5 - Dragons V Knights - Mascot Oval - 7th March
Round 6 - Knights V Canberra Raiders - Cessnock Sports Ground - 14th March
Round 7 - Knights V Tigers - Cessnock Sports Ground - 21st March
Round 8 - Penrith v Knights - Penrith - 28th March
Round 9 - Knights V Rabbitohs - Maitland ???? - 4th April

The round 9 Mathews draw says we are playing at Maitland and the Ball draw says we are playing at Charlestown on the same day.
I'd guess Maitland is right.

https://www.titans.com.au/news/2020/01/20/junior-titans-system-prove-their-mettle-against-knights/

An article and video of our Mathews and Ball trials against the Titans last weekend.
Mathews had a small loss and Ball had a good win.
The last try in the under 18s game. I'm pretty sure the number 4 is Noah Nailagoliva, who was hooker for under 16s last year and one of the standouts for us and NSW. In that try he ran from Dummy half, shaped to pass, strolled through the gap left by to guy who bought his dummy, went for a little run, and then put up a kick for one of his outside players to score.
That kid has amazing game awareness. He does that sort of thing all the time, and last year we were told he had just taken up playing hooker after being a second row for his junior club.

Noah is a great kid. His father was one who played against the Aussie dream team for Fiji back in 96. He scored a try in the 84-14 loss but is so happy to have even played amongst the greats of the game. Great genes! Hopefully Noah goes onto being as humble as his father.

Mathews side for game 1

Knights v Sea Eagles on Saturday, Feb 8, 10.30am at Lottoland

Gabe Stuart,
Brody Perry,
Ethan Ferguson,
Elijah Faalua,
Harper Collins,
Taj Blackman,
Fletcher Sharpe,
Jarred Williams,
Jack Langdon,
Matthew Hughes,
Cooper Bigeni,
Mayson Metcalf,
Billy McNickle.
Interchange: Broden Konz, Liam Williams, Kade Youlten, Caleb Garvie, Bailey Scholes, Levi Cannavo.

The only name I know is Taj Blackman, who filled in in the halves for under 16s last year when Jonah Pezet was injured, and did a great job.

SG BALL

Knights v Sea Eagles on Saturday, Feb 8, 12pm at Lottoland

Chris Vea’ila,
Tyrone Nean,
Logan Radzievic,
Fletcher Myers,
Jhett Butler,
Riley Jones,
Jonah Pezet,
Brocco Uhrle,
Noah Nailagoliva,
Sam McIntyre,
Tevita Toloi,
Oryn Keeley,
Lachlan Williams.
Interchange: Jacob Davis, Brock Greacen, Travis Petersen, Tom Cant, Tim Johannssen, Kodi Crowther

What a great looking side.
Tom Cant, who was a standout for NSW under 16s 2 years ago has sneaked in at number 17, and Kodi Crowther, our star winger 2 years ago, looks to have missed out.
No Max Bradbury - he must be injured.
Sam McIntyre is a funny name to see. We had a Sam McIntyre in the juniors a few years ago and he has made the Wests Tigers top 30 this year.
Brocco Uhrle is a Qld rep joining the Knights this year.
I count 9 of last year's under 16s side - which should make for a very cohesive side.
I think I'd have Logan Radzievic at fullback and big Chris Vea’ila in he centres. Logan looks more like a modern fullback and Vea’ila is a big, hardrunning centre or winger I think.

Last edited:
How old is Bradbury? Massive raps on him, is there a chance he is on a 20s campaign this year?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

How old is Bradbury? Massive raps on him, is there a chance he is on a 20s campaign this year?

He'd be 16/17.
He could be training with under 20s. He could handle that. But I think he has to turn 17 before he can play, so depends on when his birthday is.

Chris Vea’ila
Fletcher Myers
Jonah Pezet
Noah Reed
Noah Nailagolina
Oryn Keeley
Max Bradbury
Lachlan Crouch

So these are the 8 players who made the NSW v Pasifica game last year.
5 are in our round 1 side.
Those who miss out are prop Noah Reed, prop Lachlan Crouch and second row Max Bradbury. Max Bradbury was player of the match v pacifica and just about our best all year, so the 3 big forwards could have been promoted to 20s or be injured, or we might be so well off for forwards we don't need them.

Bradbury did his knee late in the season last year. He had a reconstruction so is probably still a few months away.

Last edited:
Back