2020 Coaching staff and football department

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Billy, Sep 20, 2019.

1. krustykraz

krustykraz Todd Bates

From Toohey's News.
    Slade will be a part time wrestling coach.

2. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au...atty-return-obrien-explores-old-boys-options/

In this article O'Brien talks about what experience he has had with working with the Johns brothers at Melbourne (Matty) and Roosters (Joey) and says he'd like to use them here. He also mentions that Allen Bell (Knights life member and former assistant coach credited with helping the Johns brothers develop) is already working with Pearce (he has been for a decade) and he has talked to Bell already.

The best part of this is that O'Brien has either been reading a lot about Knights history, or more likely he's been getting the good oil from someone around the club.

He also talks about bringing in ex players to play a role - the obvious ones would be the Gidley brothers and Buderus I think.

3. Billy

Lefty likes this.
  4. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
  5. KnightsUnite

KnightsUnite Con Mika

How do you not talk to your #1 halfback for 10 weeks, that's **** coaching and terrible player management...

No wonder the boys couldn't lift for him...

6. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

knightime likes this.
  7. Ethan

Ethan Ben Kennedy

Hang on a minute from what I remember Hodkinson wasn't playing very good footy at all when he got dropped and his knee was gone .
    Your taking Hodkinson's word for how it was too , it may not have been like that at all from Brown's point of view .

JOJO82, member 2299 and knightime like this.
  8. knightime

knightime Tim Maddison

Meh. The words of a disgruntled ex-player regarding an ex-coach. The club has moved on from both. In any case, the article says Brown declined to comment. Pretty sure Hodko's criticisms don't faze him at all.

9. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Does that make his criticisms invalid? No doubt about it, Brown wasn't a very good man manager.

10. Billy

Hodko was a leader amongst the young players we had at the time.
    After Hodko was squeezed out we started hearing stories of players getting offered contracts and leaving anyway, often for less money. We even heard the club never got a chance to offer Meaney and Cogger a contract, because they just signed elsewhere without even asking the Knights for an offer.
    Brown was brought in by management to do exactly this job of squeezing out players, but the players eventually hated seeing all their mates treated like ****, and also would have been constantly wondering who was the next head on the chopping block, and if it was them.
    O'Brien said in an interview recently that the players are people with families and mortgages to pay, and that sounds like he is echoing the feedback he got from players about our recent past.
    The playing group needs to know that if they do their best they will have the full support of the management and coaches, and then we won't see the halfhearted efforts we saw last year.

Lefty likes this.
  11. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Mark Hughes

Brown was brought in to rebuild the roster and he did. He isn't a man manager and that was evident with me early on in his tenure.

But Hodkinson bleeting about how he was dropped and how he didn't hear from the coach I find hilarious. This is our star SOO halfback that couldn't kick a ball as his knee was no good if you listen to some on here, let his rookie 5/8 take most of the kicks in general play, goal kicks etc and his signature move was catching the ball and passing it to the bloke next to him.

You got dropped because you were sh!te plodko.

R_A, Ethan, JOJO82 and 1 other person like this.
  12. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

Brock Lamb kicking it into the Bulldogs to score a runaway try in the dying minutes and then having to kick a potential game tying penalty afterwards because Hodkinson couldn’t because it was too far away agrees with this post.

knightime and Kurriboy like this.
  13. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

I agree that Browns man management skills leaves a lot of questions to be answered. I also agree that the mystery surrounding Hodkos knees based off what we saw off the field from some examples mentioned also leaves a lot of questions to be answered.

Tbh I probably would have sympathised with Hodkinson more if he wasn’t one of the highest paid players at the club at the time but I guess he was bought in during the Stone era I believe.

14. Billy

Hodko was the only big name willing to come to the knights at a time the club was at it's lowest with all the Tinkler and Bennett drama.
    The reason he came was because no one else would touch him because of his medical issues.
    It was a bad deal all round, except for Hodko who got a few million dollars to do his best on two dodgy knees, but it was the best we could do at the time.
    If it was anyone's fault, it was the guys who left us in the toilet and walked away.
    Stone bought the only player available who might have got us off the bottom of the table.

Brown getting rid of players like Hodko is what he had to do, but cutting guys like that came at a cost. Hodko says the place was toxic under Brown, and all the guys who walked out despite being offered contracts came to the same conclusion.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  15. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

He had some perceived value because the year before he helped NSW win their first State Of Origin since 2005 and the Bulldogs to the Grand Final. And I place a lot of emphasis on help. So I don't blame him for cashing in.
    Who else walked out back then other then Tapine because he was being offered $500k and had only played 20 odd games? Maybe Ross later on and now Ramien. But that's easier to say afterwards I guess.

knightime likes this.
  16. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Mark Hughes

And then afterwards, when it was pointed out the kick was closer than he thought, he explained it away that he didn't realise where they were on the field when the penalty was given lol. Er, the halfback doesn't know where he is on the field during a set of 6? Quality!

Lefty and knightime like this.
  17. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Brown did a dirty job that had to be done and I remember you leading the chorus of many of us that he'd never be around to reap the rewards of his good work.

You were right and examples of Meany and Cogger going well.... Good.

And your right O'Brien sounds like he understands it's a business for us and the club if one party doesn't work with the other they seperate.... Good.

18. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    I don't care if the kick was 60 out he was a dog to hand it a rookie and deserved what he copped after considering we were winless for what 18 months?

R_A, Kurriboy and Lefty like this.
  19. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Mark Hughes

No disagreement from me. He was the captain and should have stepped up to take it. Especially after what just happened to Lamb.