2020 Coaching staff and football department

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Billy, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I hope we can find a way to get Todd Lowrie to coach reserve grade.

2. Owey

Owey Adrian Bubb

Time for Obi to report for work

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

krustykraz and Lefty like this.
  3. Billy

Reserve grade coach will be Tony Gleeson now (promoted from Flegg before he even coached a session), after O'Brien decided not to give it to Mark O'Meley.
    Adam Bettridge will now coach Flegg.

Defender1 likes this.
  4. Owey

Owey Adrian Bubb

Newcastle Herald reporting that Troy Pezet is leaving his post as the recruitment boss. What are the reasons given? This is a massively important role, the next man to handle it will.be so important.

5. Owey

Owey Adrian Bubb

Also, what time frame does it give?

6. Billy

It says Alex McKinnon will take over recruiting.
    I suspect that Canavan took over salary cap management as soon as he arrived at the club and Pezet has only been responsible for identifying targets for us to go for, and O'Brien will probably be doing that for the seniors - so Pezet's job has probably been swallowed up by McKinnon, Canavan and O'Brien anyway.

knightime likes this.
  7. knightime

knightime Tim Maddison

He's on leave at the moment, apparently. The club has offered a voluntary redundancy but no timeframe that I could gather. Alex McKinnon will move into the senior position.

Not sure of the reason why Pezet is going, but I think I saw that he is represented by Isaac Moses. It could be the Club's attempt to reduce the number of Moses-represented staff and players.

8. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

I think it’s a good move. McKinnon is well respected by players both past and present and Pezet seemed a bit toxic especially if he was under Moses.

9. Billy

Pezet has been fantastic for the club.
    He has mostly worked in junior development and only took over senior recruiting on a short term basis anyway.
    Before that he had stepped down as head of our high performance junior programme and was just our scout on the central coast.
    So he hasn't been a full on recruitment guru like the last few guys were supposed to be.
    His son, Jonah Pezet, is one of our top juniors and was amazing as captain and playmaker in our title winning Mathews side this year.
    I also noticed Jonah was shadowing Scott Dureau as he coached the Flegg side. I don't know if that was to help him learn playmaking skills, or if they see him as a future coach.

In short, most of our junior programmes have Pezet to thank for setting them up, and his short stint as senior recruiter was never a long term thing anyway.

Canavan keeps his name out of the press as much as possible I think, but as director of football operations he said earlier that he has spreadsheets about all the coaches available, players available etc etc, and I'm sure he signs off on any offers we make. Our last recruiting guy left when Canavan took over, and I'm sure Canavan is doing everything except going to watch guys play.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    Wobbles likes this.
  10. Owey

Owey Adrian Bubb

Thanks for all that guys

11. Billy

Pezet says he has been talking about his role for some time and after 8 years is happy to be moving on to new things.
    The club is describing it as a restructure.
    Pezet joined the club as an assistant to Graham Murray when he set up the "High Performance" junior programme when Tinkler threw a lot of money at the juniors.
    The theory was that we identify the best players early and give them the sort of training and coaching they need to go all the way.
    Murray got sick and was unable to continue after he designed the programme, so Pezet took over and developed most of the young players who are entering firstgrade now.
    About 2 years ago he stepped down from that role and Dureau and Kostjaysyn took over, and Pezet just scouted new players from the central coast for a while - guys like Bradman Best.
    When Mooney left last year, Pezet stepped up to take on senior recruiting, but I think Mooney left because Canavan had just been appointed director of football and was taking on much of the roster management responsibilities anyway, and the recruitment role was a much less important job.
    Pezet was criticised by Joey because of his part in moving Brown on, but I suspect Pezet had very little to do with that.

Owey likes this.
  12. Billy

The big question is who is now going to be our junior recruitment guy?
    McKinnon did a fantastic job last year. I hope we have someone as good as Pezet or McKinnon lined up.

13. Owey

Owey Adrian Bubb

If Canavan is doing list management and senior recruiting is a reduced role, could Alex by doing recruitment for the whole club?

14. Billy

Maybe.

15. R_A

R_A Mark Hughes

From memory, Alex McKinnon did do a bit of work for the Knights several months after his initial rehabilitation from his career ending injury and I thought that may have been what he is back doing now or at least more of an extension of it, scouting/recommending players to bring in to the Knights system but he didn't seem to enjoy it as much (as he noted in his book), maybe because he was relying on other people to get around and spent more time indoors watching film on them (I dont know) as opposed to now where he has his license and can get around on his own more often nowadays.
    I think when he left that initial job he did motivational speaking and some work with FoxSports and now he is back, so I'm not sure if those roles were similar or if it as it seems now he has a more hands on approach with everything as he is getting around to these games and carnivals to scout these players.
    It seems like he is geared towards being the full time junior scout guy but I don't know whether being a scout and a recruiter are two different jobs?

16. Lefty

Lefty Trent Estatheo

Retired
  17. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

We know what happens when we get optimistic.

But seriously, I’m keen to have a refreshed start under Obi. He seems like a hard ***.

Lefty likes this.
  18. Billy

The article explains why so many assistant coaches.
    O'Brien will have the normal 2 assistant coaches in Furner and Peters.
    Kostjaysyn and Smith will be in new positions called "transition coaches" who will work with guys outside the top 17 to get them up to standard.
    I assume they will handpick guys out of reserve grade and under 20s who have the potential to make firstgrade and give them firstgrade standard training.

19. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    O'brien said we've had too many young blokes slip through the cracks without being coached. Might explain why we've had the same players making the same mistakes for 3 or more years.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    slotmachine and Lefty like this.
  20. Billy