2020 Coaching staff and football department

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by Billy, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Head Coach

Adam O'Brien

Assistant coaches

David Furner (prop) coming to us from Souths, but has a long coaching history

Willie Peters (halfback) coming to us from Souths - former Souths, Saints and several ESL teams player

Development coaches (reserves and under 20s I assume)

Rory Kostjasyn (half or hooker) - 3rd year coaching at the Knights after a medical retirement during 2017 pre season.

Eric Smith (coached Muswellbrook Rams to a group 21 title before joining the Melbourne coaching team 5 years ago) - would have coached Beau Fermor and Jirah Momoisea in Melbourne under 20s 2 years ago and currently coaching Melbourne's Qld cup feeder club and still in the race for the title. Looking at his linkedin account, he played in country Queensland and is a builder by trade.
    I wonder if Nathan Tinkler had anything to do with recruiting him to Muswellbrook 6 years ago - Tinks was a former Rams player and put some money into them (when he had money)

Junior development coach
    Scott Dureau

Head trainer
    No word yet, but will be surprized if Cupples doesn't get another year.

Tasgirl and Lefty like this.
  2. kurtsux

kurtsux Adrian Bubb

Cupples did a fantastic job with squad. Deserves another go around for sure

Lefty likes this.
  3. krustykraz

krustykraz Todd Bates

Lefty likes this.
  4. Kurriboy

Kurriboy Mark Hughes

That is great. We need all these supporting coaches around the club. In the pursuit of excellence you can leave no stone unturned to reach that level.

You can bet the top clubs that always hang around the top 4/8, are doing everything they can from the very bottom of the organisation to the top, with each level having an expectation of excellence, all contributing to make the NRL side do the best they can. We have been short changing our efforts for a very long time for various reasons which needs to never be repeated again!

5. Billy

I don't know what a fulltime kicking coach would do with his time.
    2 hours a week coaching kicking, and 38 hours polishing his balls.

Wobbles, Joshhh and Tasgirl like this.
  6. Tasgirl

Tasgirl Tasgirl

Hippie.
    Are you applying @Billy ?:confused::)

Still_Nutty and Lefty like this.
  7. Billy

I'd struggle with the first two hours.
    I'd kill it for the other 38 though.

Battler, Still_Nutty, Wobbles and 4 others like this.
  8. Lefty

Lefty Anthony Quinn

Retired
    Very good Tas!

Tasgirl likes this.
  9. Tasgirl

Tasgirl Tasgirl

Hippie.
    Thanks @Lefty , really only wanted to see if Billy had a sense of humour, way cool, he does.:)

member 2299 likes this.
  10. Treadly

Treadly Rod Shoesmith

I think the best one there is the sports psychologist. Our teams biggest issue is not skill. Its between the ears.
    That's why we don't know who is getting off the bus, they are not always mentally prepared as they should be.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Owey and Lefty like this.
  11. Wobbles

Wobbles Keith Beauchamp

Interested to see who they get in the kicking role. I'm guessing a kicking coach will also focus on goal kicking as well as in general play.

I'd like to see them bring through additional consultants to support the full-time role who can add little touches here and there, relying on the one guy to provide that training could make it a little one dimensional.

But I love the idea

12. Speedymetric

Speedymetric Jake Mamo

Damien Hill should get the kicking job. He grew up and still lives within a few km's of the Knights/Wests bases. He has worked with the Knights, Parra, Tigers, Storm, Brumbies, NSW Waratahs, Fiji RU, numerous colleges in the US, individual NRL players including Marshall and many others I've probably missed.

They should give at least one job to a genuine local and Hill has worked with plenty of organisations so has done the hard yards and now the Knights have money and are supposedly professional it will be a chance for them to actually honour a contract with him and pay him what they agreed on rather than ripping him off.

13. Billy

Might as well employ a faith healer to re-align their shakra as a psychologist.
    I worked with psychologists for years and never met one who wasn't an over educated idiot.
    To become a qualified clinical psychologist takes about 7 or 8 years of very high level university study, and by the end of that, they can barely relate to anyone who doesn't have a Phd, let alone an 18 year old high school drop out who likes tackling people.

Ethan and Owey like this.
  14. Ethan

Ethan Ben Kennedy

Furner could be the Kicking coach he certainly kicked well when playing .

15. Ethan

Ethan Ben Kennedy

David Furner (prop) I don't remember him ever playing prop mate he was a 2nd rower and a good one too … Furner playing for Aus makes a break for the line runs 50m to score after the best palm off ever . Cant remember who they were playing but it may have been France . Furner is being run down then turns palms off the winger to score .

16. krustykraz

krustykraz Todd Bates

17. Billy

Does that mean we have 4 assistant coaches - Furner, Peters, Kosjaysyn and Smith?

18. Billy

So reserve grade coach is Ian Bourke who was assistant coach in reserve grade last year and was a player and coach for Lakes United in the past.

Flegg coach is Tony Gleeson who was assistant coach in Flegg last year and has been very successful coaching Mathews and Ball sides for us since 2014. I think he was the coach for minor and major premierships in those grades.
    He is also RL coach for Hunter Sports high and was an assistant coach for Wyong isp cup side.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  19. Defender1

Defender1 Steve Simpson

Gleeso started his coaching career at The Entrance... I worked with him for a long time. Champion bloke. Better singer than his brother (Dave Gleeson) too haha.

20. krustykraz

krustykraz Todd Bates