2019 Pre Season and Trials

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Darren Albert

I guess it comes down to is Ponga a better 5/8 than Watson is a f/b for me I think no matter what Ponga is best at f/b. Watson was brought here on the promise??? of playing 5/8 so why not develop his game at that position and only have one developing rather than two.

2. Defender1

Defender1 Steve Simpson

Watson's positional play was excellent on the weekend. They just need him to follow the ball around and then run lines outside Ponga and Pearce.

Interesting that Ponga and Levi made some errors on the weekend which people are happy to gloss over.

On another note, I was really impressed with Woolford. He and Hosking were everywhere in defense.

Joey1245 likes this.
  3. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Because playmakers are born, not made. Watson will never be a playmaker while his arse points to the ground.

4. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

The potential is there for Watson. Just from what we saw from the trials, we can expect a lot of energy, effort, fast paced play from him, backing up breaks etc. Just as long as he can catch bombs under pressure most of the time & be positioned well, then he should go alright. Ponga & Pearce are players that want the ball, so they will take care of most of the passing.

5. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Running around at a million miles an hour doesn't mean you're doing a good job.

6. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

Hoy & Momoisea should definitely get one. Hoy has done well in both trials, while Momoisea looked big & ran real hard in his few minutes in the second trial. To'a might have earned a shot just from one piece of brilliant play to score his try.

7. Billy

Boyd wasn't a real playmaker.
    He just ran a line and passed to a support player when he had drawn the defence.
    It isn't rocket surgery.
    Watson could do that.
    In fact, he was doing something close to that in his last few games last year and it went OK.

8. Joel

Joel Touche...

I’m lost and delusional, at least that’s what a couple members have said about rating Barnett over Guerra at second row. I copped it a couple years back for backing Fitz and I haven’t eaten the humble pie just yet.

Lefty likes this.
  9. danknights

danknights Timana Tahu

I'm not totally lost on the Barnett thing but he does some stupid stuff that reserve graders do. You can't get away with those things in grade. Teams find you out and you get made to look like a fool eventually.

He has all the skills but needs to cool it sometimes. Much like the Fitzy of reserves is the total opposite of the Fitz in firsts.

10. Joey1245

Joey1245 Tim Maddison

Watson defensive reads were good he just made mistake like not being able to hold the ball

11. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

If Watson can hang onto the footy he’ll make a great fullback. Runs the ball with plenty of energy and breaks through tackles quite well. Just needs to keep a cool head under pressure and know when to pass.

Wobbles and Joey1245 like this.
  12. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    Watson reminds me so much of a poor mans Tyrone peachy. The difference between the two is that Watson is looking to pass, which he won’t and then ruin his go forward. Peach just wants to beat his man, support play and sniff around. He needs to take a leaf out of his book.

13. Billy

So what's with the whole Chris Randell thing?
    I think he went on to replace Pearce and played halfback.

14. EASBay17

EASBay17 Clinton O'Brien

if we are going to gain anything from ponga playing 6 he needs to get out of the habit of planting himself on the left side of the field. if watson is going to be soley a ball runner we need our halves playing both sides of the field

slotmachine likes this.
  15. Joey1245

Joey1245 Tim Maddison

Browny did say this so I’d say they are working on it

16. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    Disagree, both are talented and smart enough they should be floating where ever they see an opportunity, you'll never get a structured player out of Ponga and would only destroy what makes him great.

Wobbles and Joey1245 like this.
  17. danknights

danknights Timana Tahu

I'm not too sure Billy. But I did like what I seen from him in the trial. Unsure about his playmaking via 6/7 but a decent hooker and defender to say the least.

18. Wobbles

Wobbles Andrew Tangata-Toa

Absolutely. Classic example was the Bennett hobbling Uate to the sideline.

When he lost his ability to float in from the sideline in attack he went from one of the most damaging ball-running wingers to a puppy.

19. EASBay17

EASBay17 Clinton O'Brien

i think we agreed there ? i said he shouldnt be just stuck on the left side of the field and both halves should play both sides of the field

20. Still_Nutty

Still_Nutty Tea Ropati

I looked at the names in that quote from the article and noted they were all the locals Brown has had on the Knights books for a few years...I'm thinking the response was in the context of a question about how those who have come through our juniors compare to those players Brown has brought to the club?:shrug:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019