2019 NRL Season: Round 1 Discussion

Discussion in 'General Rugby League' started by rhugh89, Mar 6, 2019.

1. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

For discussion about the other 7 games in Round 1

To discuss the Knights game against the Sharks go here

Thursday 14th March

Storm vs Broncos - AAMI Park @ 6:50pm

Friday 15th March

Roosters vs Rabbitohs - SCG @ 6:55pm

Saturday 16th March

Warriors vs Bulldogs - Mt Smart Stadium @ 2:00pm
    Tigers vs Sea Eagles - Leichhardt Oval @ 4:30pm
    Cowboys vs Dragons - 1300SMILES Stadium @ 6:35pm

Sunday 17th March

Panthers vs Eels - Panthers Stadium @ 3:05pm
    Titans vs Raiders - CBUS Super Stadium @ 5:10pm

Previews

https://www.nrl.com/news/topic/match-preview/

Team Lists

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/12/round-1-nrl-team-lists/

2. Mr Goanna

Mr Goanna hung up on the glory days

crap SCG surface...just play at Henson Park!

3. Watcher

Watcher Steve Walters

All the best Knights from this Warriors fan. Here is a trivia question to throw at your mates over a beer. Who is the longest serving Warriors player in 2019?
    The answer is David Fustua. Surprised me

4. Still_Nutty

Still_Nutty Scott Seamer

And to your team across the ditch Watcher - figure you guys for a first up win at home this week:thumbsup:

5. The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd

The Artist Formerly Known as Aku'd Craig Kimmorley

Asset Manager
    Taumalolo (probs spelt wrong) has ran 158m in 36 minutes!!

:eek::eek::eek:

6. krustykraz

krustykraz Luke Quigley

He is a machine.
    Will probably get 300m.
    That try assist was freakish.

7. cowboyman

cowboyman Ben Kennedy

Hospitality
    Will go down as the best forward to ever play the game. God I love him, he can have my babies.

8. danknights

danknights Steve Simpson

You know how there is always one bloke who goes too far? Wayyy too far man.

R_A and cowboyman like this.
  9. cowboyman

cowboyman Ben Kennedy

Hospitality
    Couldn’t care less. There’s a new JT in town and we will do just fine this season.

10. danknights

danknights Steve Simpson

I thought you guys struggled a little until you started playing the forward pack a bit more.

11. cowboyman

cowboyman Ben Kennedy

Hospitality
    Should struggle for the first couple months. Whole pre season has been disrupted. Plus it was coming down with more rain last night. Grinding out these wins is a bonus right now.

12. packo

packo :) (:

Government
    Bulldogs remind me of us 3 years ago. They are going to struggle for a long time.

13. Watcher

Watcher Steve Walters

Happy Warriors fan here. First, well done to the Knights, well deserved against a team that disrespected your team in the past.

As to our guys, obviously a very difficult day leading up to the game. Jazz Tevaga is a Christchurch man and struggled but the guys got around him.

That is the Warriors this year, a team. The whole squad contributed to the win. Before so much reliance was placed on SJ it breeded laxness in some other players. No blame on SJ but the Club needed to move on, a year esrlier than planned but thats how it goes. I hope it goes well for him.

That win gave a much needed good feeling over here. Not too shabby for the Wooden Spoon team wasnt it Roschfield you drunken fool.

14. R_A

R_A Sean Rudder

I think SJ not being re-signed is a classic Brian Smith move also. I know he hasn't gotten a big mouth/ego like some of the other guys that Brian Smith has moved on at previous clubs like Willie Mason but I think when you make the finals (barely) in one year out of those several years you have since made the GF I think it is as good a time as any for change with the money that he was getting. The Blake Green signing last season is also one that has his hands all over it, came from multiple successful systems like the Storm and Sharks who were winning and has bought that to the Warriors.
    He has also done a good job keeping some of the Warriors best young talent ahead of the curve and probably at reasonable deals below market value so there is that too.

He will not get credit for any of this because he has largely kept out of the media since being in the role that he is and also because pieces of s**t like Buzz don't care for him and are in general terrible journos like you mentions.

Watcher likes this.
  15. Watcher

Watcher Steve Walters

Couldnt
    Couldnt agree more. Smith, Kearney, Corvo and O'Sullivan are transforming the Warriors into sonething they should have been 25 years ago.

In 1995 the guys that did the work to start the Warriors were old school Auckland RL types. As soon as they succeeded the suits like Ian Robson took over. Apparently the creators said, finally its happened, how long till they stuff it up. Not long it turned out.

They seem to be on the right track and the players have to be professional on and off the field. Good days ahead for both our clubs.

R_A likes this.
  16. R_A

R_A Sean Rudder

Yeah Corvo was a big reason why the Warriors changed the perception of playing for only 20-40 minutes and blowing large leads. That wasn't the case as much last year as they were more of an 80 minute team.
    I always have the time of day to listen to what Brian Smith says even though he is the polar opposite of a 'mates coach' but always has the time (and respect if you want it) for his players. I remember hearing stories about his days at the Eels where he struggled to sleep big time leading up to gameday because he was texting his players at 2am making sure they were at home and not out at the Cross or something potentially getting in strife)
    Nice little read here about things - https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/li...o-in-warriors-resurgence-20180907-p502dt.html - Which explains his transition from coaching to the office which I think he has always been suited to because he can find those 'no names' and make them a somebody. He has always been a good scout IMO
    The being a grandfather comment sums it up really well actually
    That's why I always have respect for the way he goes about his business because he doesnt coach a team with 50% of rep players his whole career like Bennett does.

17. Watcher

Watcher Steve Walters

Thanks for that link, really good article. Us Warrior fans know how fortunate we are to have all that k owledge and experience on tap.

R_A likes this.