2019 Harold Matts and SG Ball

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Lower Grades' started by chewie, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Knights who made the NSW under 16s side.

3. Fletcher Myers (Newcastle Knights),
    7. Jonah Pezet (Newcastle Knights),
    8. Noah Reed (Newcastle Knights),
    9. Noah Nailagolina (Newcastle Knights),
    12. Oryn Keeley (Newcastle Knights),
    13. Max Bradbury (Newcastle Knights),
    17. Lachlan Crouch (Newcastle Knights),

I think the fullback was the only one named in the train on squad who missed out on making the team.

2. newy guy29

newy guy29 Danny Levi

real eastate
    Well technically its not the Nsw u16s team. As there is NO u16s team any more.
    It is the 2019 Harold Matthews Cup represenative team who play Nsw Country u16s team.

3. Billy

It's funny that Chris Veaila is the one who missed out because I've been thinking for a while that he is the player with the most natural gifts in the side. He would be the tallest in the side, is fast enough and has good enough moves to play in the backs, and as his grandfinal try showed, he is powerful enough to be a real handful for the defence.
    I don't know if he'll stay at fullback, or fill out a bit and end up a big forward or something, but he has a lot of natural gifts to work with.

I see the Souths fullback got player of the series, so I suppose they'd have had to pick him out of position if they picked him, but i'd put him ahead in potential of most of our guys who did get picked.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  4. ALX25

ALX25 George Carmont

Veaila is from NZ.

Good to see the NSWRL giving the CRL and Pasifika sides a chance to make the final NSW U16 side for the SOO game later on in the year (unless that's been cancelled?).

5. Billy

6. newy guy29

newy guy29 Danny Levi

real eastate
    Yes Cancelled..
    There is NO u16s state of origin any more..!

7. Billy

Final score in the Matts v country under 16s game was 16-6 to Matts. The country boys were right in the game till a try right at the end scored by Crouch after a Pezet line break.
    Good effort from country. Half of them were from traditional Knights areas like North coast and new England, so plenty of guys for us to look at for under 20s in a few years.

8. Billy

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2019/05/22/knights-named-in-nsw-under-18s-mens-squad/

Bradman Best and Mitchell Black named in the NSW under 18s squad.

Jaron Purcell and Harry Croker both played last year and I think would have been some of the first picked this year, but both missed a lot of under 18s with injuries and haven't been seen since.

Best was picked despite having played no under 18s and only about 3 games in Flegg and reserve grade - but even half fit he'll be the best player on the field I think.

I think it's Black's first rep game and the young hooker gets to train with Danny Buderus, so that will be good for his development.

9. ALX25

ALX25 George Carmont

Hope there is sound reasoning behind this.

10. Billy

11. Billy

NSW Under-16s squad: Paul Alamoti (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs), Max Bradbury (Newcastle Knights), Oskar Bryant (Northern Rivers Titans), Lachlan Crouch (Newcastle Knights), Ryan Foran (Northern Rivers), Terrell Kalo Kalo (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Oryn Keeley (Newcastle Knights), David Langi (Parramatta Eels), Davvy Moale (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Fletcher Myers (Newcastle Knights), Noah Nailagoliva (Newcastle Knights), Finnley Neilsen (Western Rams), Joseph O’Neill (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs), Jonah Pezet (Newcastle Knights), Noah Reed (Newcastle Knights), Reef Sommerville (Northern Rivers Titans), Wiliam Taliai (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Brandon Tumeth (Balmain Tigers), Thomas Weaver (Northern Rivers Titans), Turoa Williams (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs). Coach: Scott Jones.

All 7 of our possibles made the NSW side to play the Pacifica under 16s, and I hear fullback Christopher Vaiela has made the Pacifica side - so about half our Mathews side in the best game of Under 16s going this year.
    I notice there are 4 guys from Northern Rivers in the side as well - possible Knights recruitment targets I imagine, if someone else doesn't beat us to it.

12. Billy

NSW under 16s v Pacifica is on tomorrow.
    8 members of our under 16s team involved.
    Apparently the Pacifica team played with a lot of emotion and won the game last year, so the boys will be tested.

13. Billy

NSW under 16s won 36-6 over Pasifika.
    Only Knight to score was lock Keeley.
    It was described as a clinical display, and I'd guess Knights hooker and halfback had a lot to do with that.

14. ALX25

ALX25 George Carmont

15. ALX25

ALX25 George Carmont

16. ALX25

ALX25 George Carmont

17. Billy

and our Flegg pack is so strong that Jenkins, Harry Croker (2018 schoolboy) and Jaron Purcell (one of the best for NSW in 16s and 18s) all haven't got a run yet.