2019 Coaching Staff and Football Department

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Discussion' started by rhugh89, Jul 28, 2018.

1. krustykraz

krustykraz Todd Bates

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2018
  2. Ethan

Ethan Steve Simpson

Succeed and the job is his for as long as he wants it. Fail and rest assured he becomes part of the conversation.
    That's pretty much the same for every coach hey .

member 2299 likes this.
  3. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Just the fact that a puff piece about Brown being safe is written makes me think he is not safe.

4. Tubby

Tubby Trent Hodkinson

For mine our best players this year have been Ponga, Pearce, Guerra and Ese'ese. Whether its Brown or Mooney doing the recruiting I'm not sure, but so far it has been spot on

slotmachine and Lefty like this.
  5. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Honourable mentions to fitz and skd

Tubby likes this.
  6. Tubby

Tubby Trent Hodkinson

Yep agreed. SKD has been very underrated. And Fitz very good for essentially his first full season in grade. D Saif has also been very strong in patches

Lefty likes this.
  7. member 2299

member 2299 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Retired
    Spot on Ethan. Already Bennett and Griffin are on the way out and both the Doncs and Pennies make the eight, Manly having a change from Barrett and who is next? Tricky has had a good run it seems.

Keep thinking Billy. You have been bad mouthing Browny all year.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  8. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    I am confident 9 wins and being out of the top 8 by 2 wins is a good enough KPI coming off 3 spoons, not to mentions the improvement in the cap and good knows how much extra we have drawn in sponsorship wise on the back on the Ponga and Pearce and signing.

Next year we won't be top 4 or anything, however if we stay fit I'd like to think we'd be right in the mix for a finals appearance.

Lefty and Tasgirl like this.
  9. nunnsy

nunnsy Tim Maddison

I'm a fan of brownie but if we are fit next year top 8 is minimum for me . Otherwise time for a new coach.

Lefty likes this.
  10. Lord of the Skraelings

Lord of the Skraelings Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Chairman of Marathon Stadium Forums.
    I think it's pretty unfair to sack a coach for bad luck, seriously who could have planned for our spine to have a 176 minutes game time together this season? Not to mention other injuries. Take Smith out of the storm who is our pearce for 9 weeks and I'll bet you they aren't sitting so pretty either.

11. Simon Templar

Simon Templar John Allanson

Project Manager
    Boys this is Rugby league as it has become - there are that many factors which influence the results of games in this era ( bunker and Rep duties jump to mind ) it is hard for any coach to be guaranteed any thing, but at this level the basics should be set in concrete , how to tackle, how to play the ball, game plans will be tweaked until the correct formula is stumbled upon.

Yesterday’s change of defensive attitude is a glimpse of what a little tweak to a game plan can do ( who ever implemented the inside out D instead of the outside in defence which has left us short on the wing for 75 % of the try’s against us , should be Knighted )

The real key appears to be man management and securing the trust and belief of the full squad for the whole season without the weight of job security around their necks - get the right squad in place for the whole year, without contract renegotiations or injury to key personal and you have half a chance.

There are heaps of teams whose coaches haven’t changed yet the results this year have been woe ful ( I had Cowboys and Parra for GF , based on past years record and stability of roster ).

From me Brown gets a “ free pass” to next season, his man management has been visibly tested , the few that haven’t bought into the “ vision” have been identified and now realise that this “coaching regime “ wont be bullied by disgruntled self centred players or their managers. The recruits have all made positive contributions if not on the field definitely off it. The recruits for 2019 look promising , I just wish we could get or uncover a couple of dominating props to complement our current crop and lays platform for our talented spine.

Beaumont, Wobbles, mozza and 3 others like this.
  12. Tasgirl

Tasgirl Tasgirl

Hippie.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    :applause::applause::applause:

13. Joel

Joel Touche...

With the possibility of all 8 teams getting the minor premiership with 2 rounds to spare I wouldn't put it past us for 2019.

14. Wobbles

Wobbles Brett Kimmorley

There were certainly enough close games we would have closed out if we hadn't lost Pearce to put us well inside the 8 this season, but that probably applies to the Tigers and Titans as well.

With some better luck and the experience gained this year there's no reason our 2019 season can't extend well into September.

member 2299 likes this.
  15. Jaybro

Jaybro Lenny Beckett

Going into the last round we’re ranked 16th in defence and 14th in attack. You’d think we’d have the spoon off those numbers. Pearce and Ponga have helped us win the close matches that’s been the difference from last year.

I’m not worried about the attack because of how much disruption we had to our spine this year plus the addition of Lee and Ramien give us fire power out wide. It’s defence where we need the improvement, the Tigers’ defence improved out of sight this year with pretty much the same players from last year. Hopefully we concentrate on defence in the offseason and see some improvement.

16. slotmachine

They've concentrated on defence every off season. Time to give it away and try to win games 42-36 I reckon

17. nunnsy

nunnsy Tim Maddison

I still think half our defensive issues are due to our lack of Metres we make with the ball. As the stats said the other week we are the best team in the comp for tackle effectiveness. But if the opposition is constantly up or end of the field because of the lack of meters we make them they are going to score more tries. Some times they are constantly up our end of the field because of bullshit penalties. I'm not saying we don't need to improve in defence because we do. But the more meters we make and the better field position means less fatigue which will automatically improve our defence.

Jaybro, packo and krustykraz like this.
  18. slotmachine

Before the weekend's game we were the 4th least penalised team in the comp, and had won the penalty count in 64% of games this year which was the second best record in the NRL.

You're point on metres made is on the mark though, we are dead last and the gap from us to 15th is the same as the gap between 15th and 3rd. Laughable.

Also relevant, we are dead last in run metres conceded. So we don't miss many tackles but let the opposition waltz up the field at their pleasure.

Jaybro likes this.
  19. Jaybro

Jaybro Lenny Beckett

You fellas have hit the nail on the head about the ‘middle yaradage battle’ we lose it every week so it’s no surprise we haven’t made the finals ( it’s actually a miracle we have done so well ).

20. nunnsy

nunnsy Tim Maddison

With out pearce's kicking game we most likely would have collected another spoon.