2018 Jersey Flegg Cup

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Lower Grades' started by Billy, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Brodie Jones didn't go as well as I thought he would.
    Starling in for Birch next week will make a huge difference. Nothing against Birch, but it's chalk and cheese between the two.
    Saulo will also make a big difference.
    Crossland and Hoy both looked really good I thought.
    In a lot of ways, losing that game keeps us match fit for the finals.

2. listo

listo Aaron Grainger

Brodie Jones didn’t seem to be out their for long Billy, what was the go with that? I don’t think we could’ve missed him, he looked massive compared to the rest

3. Billy

I thought he was putting himself in positions to have runs at the line, but they weren't passing him the ball. Probably because he hasn't played with them all year.
    He did look huge compared to these guys - he was looking pretty big in reserve grade towards the end of the year too. He has shoulders like a Gorilla I reckon.

4. Billy

Starling has played 12 games of Flegg this year.
    We've won 11 and lost 1 when he has played, and the 1 we lost was against Penrith and we had a big injury toll before and during the game.
    Without him we've won 6 games and lost 3.
    A 91.6% win rate with Starling.
    A 66.6% win rate without Starling.
    An 81% win rate overall.

Pasami Saulo has played 4 games of Flegg for 4 wins - 100%

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  5. Billy

Parramatta and Saint George are the two teams knocked out in the first round of finals.
    Parra were the favourites to win this year, with a heap of rep players - I think they got 6 into NSW under 20s to our 0, and their upper grades are all out now, so it's good that they are gone.
    Our game next week is at Saints home ground, so good job we don't have to play them either.
    Next week we play against either 5th placed Roosters or 7th placed Bulldogs at Kogarah Oval.

6. kdog1

kdog1 David Boyd

Jirah Momoisea signed contract extension with Knights and will join the NRL squad for the 2019 season. Just seen a post from his manager.

knightslad likes this.
  7. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

8. Billy

Roosters still alive in all 3 grades and we get to use Saulo, Starling and Jones.

9. Billy

No Saulo, Jones or Gibbs, but Starling is in.
    I can't see us losing.

Cooper
    Worley
    Toa
    Andrews
    Rasiga
    Birch
    Crossland
    Croker
    Starling
    Momoisea
    Dark
    Fermor
    Russell

Hoy
    Alifa
    Cameron
    Talty

10. Billy

What I said before round 1. Can't see anything I want to change other than the new players like Fermor, Alifa, Fuimaono, Momoisea and Russell have all been better than I thought they would be. Mooney is a good talent scout, even in the juniors.

Frank McWilliams and knightslad like this.
  11. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Adam Woolnough

Is Saulo and Jones out due to not qualifying, not played enough in u20, Jones wouldn't have played any I would have thought. Gibbs might just not be good enough to displace any of the others

12. Billy

I don't think so because Jones played last week - his first game of under 20s all year.
    The criteria this year must be just under 20 years old, and maybe not in the top 30 list.
    I think Lowrie is picking the guys who have been in the squad all year because they deserve it, and not replacing them with better players because he can.

Frank McWilliams likes this.
  13. Billy

Experienced Starling returns to provide 20s spark

Newcastle Knights
    Wed 5 Sep 2018, 03:46 PM

Tom Starling is back for the Newcastle Knights Jersey Flegg side as they fight to keep their grand final hopes alive.

Having made his NRL debut last week, the pint-sized hooker is back in the 20s to provide Todd Lowrie with some much-needed spark.

"He offers a lot for us, Tommy," Lowrie said of the No.9.

"First and foremost, he offers us a lot of energy. He's the leader. One of his big strengths is his efforts like line speed and kick chase.

"He brings a lot of energy out of dummy half which is something we definitely need.

"His experience now and ability to get us over the advantage line and on a roll is something we'll be looking for this week."

The return of Starling sees Nash Birch return to the halves which forces Tex Hoy back to the bench.

The role of Mr Fix It is one Hoy is familiar with and allows Lowrie the peace of mind that he's well covered in near any role in the event of an injury.

He also provides plenty of x-factor when he does enter into the action, something the team lacked in the first week of the finals.

"He's been around in a few positions this year," Lowrie said.

"Fullback, five-eighth and in the backline. With Tommy coming back, Nash Birch, who has been one of our best players this year ad mainstay in the halves, goes back into the halves for us.

"That sees Tex goes back to the bench."

With Pasami Saulo and Brodie Jones not eligible to feature in the finals series, Lowrie has the core of his squad available from the best part of the season.

With a much more settled team compared to that which fell to Mounties by a field goal last week, Lowrie is confident his troops can keep their season alive.

"We didn't perform very well last week," Lowrie said.

"We had a very disrupted week as far as the team goes but that doesn't mean anything in finals footy. All the guys we have know what's required.

"This week is a lot more settled for us. The team shouldn't change a lot, if at all. All the guys we have there have played plenty of games and know what's required. They're very capable."

TEAM

1. Matt Cooper, 2. Justin Worley, 3. Starford T'oa, 4. Mitch Andrews, 5. Elijah Rasiga, 6. Nash Birch, 7. Phoenix Crossland, 8. Mathew Croker, 9. Tom Starling, 10. Jirah Momoisea, 11. Kurtis Dark, 12. Beau Fermor, 13. Brandon Russell. Interchange: 14. Tex Hoy, 15. Tevita Alifa, 16. Jack Cameron, 17. Ben Talty

Saturday, September 8 – Final

Newcastle Knights v Sydney Roosters
    Kick-off: 5.15pm
    Venue: Jubilee Oval

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/09/05/experienced-starling-returns-to-provide-20s-spark/

I'm not surprized they had a disrupted week with Fuimaono being diagnosed with a broken neck and put in a Halo. That would spook a few of them i'd imagine.
    Starling adds a massive amount to this side - it's unbelievable how much quality work he does at this level.
    Article says Jones and Saulo not available. They must have got special permission to play Jones last week because of Starling and Fuimanono being late withdrawals.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2018
  14. Frank McWilliams

Frank McWilliams Adam Woolnough

Bit like I thought, Jones and Saulo not qualifying

15. mozza

mozza Game on broheim

Is there anywhere that you can listen to this game?

16. Billy

Knights twitter account will broadcast it, starting about 5pm I imagine.

mozza likes this.
  17. Billy

Roosters side has been updated - former Knight Nick O'Meley has been added in Jersey 18. He is playing second row - he used to play 5/8 for us - he'll end up a prop like his dad.

18. Billy

Interesting that Nick O'Meley, who has been playing wing or centre for Wyong most of the year, will line up against Beau Fermor in the second row. They might have decided they need someone who has a bit of speed and can defend at a higher level to keep Beau quiet.
    I've never seen Nick picked in the forwards before. Our big forward pack could decide to test him out.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  19. Billy

Knights seem to be starting 1-17 as named, unless the NSWRL site is being slow with the updates.

20. Billy

0-0 - Knights blew one chance early