2015 State Of Origin Game 2: NSW v QLD @ the MCG

Gallen looked off the pace tonight I thought.

No sure if we really need him next game tbh. His high workrate is great but we have others that can cover that and we now have a good young pack of forwards that can dominate QLD.

Starting Merrin at lock with Fifita on the bench for Gal would be better for Game 3 imo

Blues coach Laurie Daley hits back at NSW critics and QRL chairman Peter Betros

• TODD BALYM IN MELBOURNE
  • THE COURIER-MAIL
  • JUNE 17, 2015 11:30PM

NSW coach Laurie Daley slammed the critics who continue to label his Blues “duds” and QRL chairman Peter Betros who he couldn’t correctly name in a stunning post-match swing that’s lit the fuse for a fiery decider in Brisbane next month.

Daley proved he was no longer Mr Nice Guy when he took aim at the continued criticism of his football team after they pulled off an impressive 26-18 victory over Queensland at the MCG.

“Yeah most definitely (proud) and this team can do a lot better than that,” Daley said.

“People wanted to be critical of us, we’ve got huge challenge but it was exciting.

“We will see how we go. The battlers from NSW, the duds people keep calling us and it was good for us.
story-fni3fqyo-1227403113647

“Any time you win an Origin game is special, they’re a great team and have been great team for long time so for me I am immensely proud.

“We didn’t catch them by surprise they knew we were coming to play.

We will go up to Queensland and we will be confident.”

After waging a massive PR campaign against the Maroons for the duration of the three weeks between games, the Blues entered the MCG having put unprecedented pressure on the referees but also themselves to match the Queensland physicality.

It was this aspect of the game that left Daley most proud because many of his boys became men in the Origin arena.

“We didn’t take a backward step,” he said.

Daley could not have been prouder of his men on Wednesday night.

The Blues coach now stands on the cusp of recreating his most glorious moment as an Origin captain as a coach.

It was 21 years ago, in 1994, that Daley captained NSW to a grand Origin heist after they lost the first game on home soil then won in Melbourne and snatch the trophy at Brisbane’s Lang Park.

And the bullish Blues coach said he would repeat their secluded Coffs Harbour preparations, after becoming engaged in a war of words with QRL chairman Peter Betros during the lead up to the Melbourne clash for ignoring fans and not promoting the game in Victoria.

“I found the comments of Paul Betros,” Daley started before he was interrupted by journalists to correct him on the name

“Oh well, Peter, whatever his name is, they can be critical all they want but at the end of the day we had to do what was right for our team and that was to prepare in Coffs Harbour and that is what we will do again for game three.”

This was as good a victory as any in recent memory by the Blues.

They were enterprising in attack with man of the match Michael Jennings playing like he had spiders on him in the first half to rack up seven runs for 74m and seven tackle busts.

Jennings and Maroons rival Justin Hodges have long waged a heated rivalry and now the pair will head to the home ground of Hodges to settle their score once and for all.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...man-peter-betros/story-fni3fqyo-1227403113647

- - - Updated - - -

Queensland coach Mal Meninga says they didn't get the rub of the green

June 18, 2015 - 12:18AM

Queensland coach Mal Meninga reckons there was "a lot of doubt" over the contentious ruling which prevented Greg Inglis from scoring one of the great Origin tries.

Inglis sprinted the length of the field late in the game, outpacing the NSW cover defence to plant the ball for what would have been his 18th Origin try.

The on-field officials ruled 'try' before referring the decision upstairs.

However, upon review, the men upstairs denied the South Sydney star, apparently due to a knock on in the lead up from Michael Morgan.

The Blues were also on the wrong end of a contentious forward pass decision moments earlier which appeared rob Mitchell Pearce of a legitimate try.

"Tough one, it was awarded a try," Meninga said of the Inglis ruling.

"There was a lot of doubt, whether it was knocked on.

"We didn't get the rub of the green tonight, a lot of things went against us. The opposition capitalised on it."

Queensland captain Cameron Smith added: "It was a 50-50 call, I didn't see [or] think there was a knock on there.

"I thought when the ball came out it came out towards our tryline, the way the Blues were attacking.

"I was wearing a Maroon jersey though."

The Maroons pairing of Daly Cherry-Evans and Johnathan Thurston didn't quite click.

The former came into the game under intense scrutiny following his decision to renege on a four-year deal with the Gold Coast in order to become Manly's $10 million man.

The dramas weren't lost on the 'Mexicans' who booed Cherry-Evans, although the biggest boos were reserved for Paul Gallen.

Asked about the hostile reaction to the Maroons No.7, Meninga said:

"There were 91,000 fans there. Who was booing what?

"Was it the team, the Maroon jersey? Was it just one person, was it?

" … "[The pressure was] only from you guys, to be honest with you.

"No pressure from us, he handled the week very well."

Regardless, 'DCE' will vacate the No.7 jersey for the decider after Meninga indicated Cooper Cronk was set to return from injury.

"I thought [the halves] played extremely well under a lot of pressure, they ran at Daly," Meninga said.

"I don't know how many tackles he made but it was considerable, it probably took a bit of starch off his attacking game.

"At the end of the day I thought they handled the occasion pretty well."

While disappointed with the result, Meninga said league's return to the MCG was a success.

"It was a great spectacle and a great advertisement for rugby league in Melbourne," he said.

"Gotta be happy with that, surely."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...get-the-rub-of-the-green-20150617-ghqp83.html

That was one of the worst video ref calls I've ever seen to deny the Inglis try ... even if Queensland got the last touch (which they didn't) then it went backwards!

Thought the Morris pass for Pearce's try was a mile forward,

I think NSW would have won anyway, they finished right on top and just played for the win once they were eight ahead. One of the best origin games I've seen for a long time with both sides not afraid to play some attacking footy - like it used to be back in the 90s and early 2000s!

Great to see NSW get the win.

Inglis was standing at the very least 3 metres offside, I agree it was a loose carry but last touch came from Myles I believe who was coming across just as Morgan made contact in defence and brushed the ball as it was falling to the ground. Should of been a QLD scrum. No way in the world it was a try.

Inglis was standing at the very least 3 metres offside, I agree it was a loose carry but last touch came from Myles I believe who was coming across just as Morgan made contact in defence and brushed the ball as it was falling to the ground. Should of been a QLD scrum. No way in the world it was a try.

It's not a knock on if you're not playing at the ball, and Myles clearly wasn't.

Offside I didn't even look at, they didn't show any decent angles from memory, but if Inglis was in front of Myles then it would have been offside.

It's not a knock on if you're not playing at the ball, and Myles clearly wasn't.

Offside I didn't even look at, they didn't show any decent angles from memory, but if Inglis was in front of Myles then it would have been offside.

I never said they got the ruling right, I agree it wasn't a knock on by Morgan, but it clearly brushed the other QLD player as the ball was falling. I'm 99% certain that player was Myles. Therefore Inglis was accidental offside and hence it should of came back to a scrum for QLD

I know you didn't say that.

Yeah, the second player coming into the tackle you mean, right? Definitely touched it.

Inglis should have been penalised if he was in front, as he deliberately picked up the ball, so it's not an accidental offside.

Those are quite often 50-50 calls, but imo because it ended up being a double knock on as it brushed Myles hand it should of came back to a QLD scrum. Either way it was never ever a legitimate try. QLDers can whinge all they like though.

Yes true ... first knock on was Pearce.

The main thing is NSW finished well on top, and could have got another try if they didn't shut up shop when eight ahead. Right team won.

I thought it was a Queensland try, but justice was served because we should have scored through Pearce 2 minutes prior to that which they wrongly called a forward pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I never said they got the ruling right, I agree it wasn't a knock on by Morgan, but it clearly brushed the other QLD player as the ball was falling. I'm 99% certain that player was Myles. Therefore Inglis was accidental offside and hence it should of came back to a scrum for QLD

How is inglis accidentally offside when he picks the ball up. If the player offside picks the ball up and runs he cant be accidentally offside

Those are quite often 50-50 calls, but imo because it ended up being a double knock on as it brushed Myles hand it should of came back to a QLD scrum. Either way it was never ever a legitimate try. QLDers can whinge all they like though.

This. Even if they ruled Myles didn't knock it on it then hit Gillett's foot and went to Inglis in an offside position. Without doubt a no try.

Referees guru Bill Harrigan says contentious Greg Inglis decision was right

• TYSON OTTO
  • NEWS.COM.AU
  • JUNE 18, 2015 11:22AM

FORMER referees boss Bill Harrigan has told Queensland supporters to stop complaining, saying State of Origin referees correctly denied Greg Inglis a try during game two on Wednesday night.

Harrigan said it was “rubbish” to protest the controversial decision from video referees Bernard Sutton and Luke Patten at the MCG.Inglis was denied after picking up a loose ball stripped from NSW playmaker Mitchell Pearce by Queensland utility Michael Morgan.

Sutton and Patten ruled Morgan had knocked in raking the ball from Pearce, despite many fans believing the Roosters halfback knocked it forward from a loose carry.

The Courier-Mail today declared Queensland was “robbed” by “hopeless referees” on its front page.
story-fni3fqyo-1227403650336

Harrigan said the outcry surrounding the much-debated ruling is unjustified.

“I’ve got no problem with the Greg Inglis no-try decision,” Harrigan told news.com.au.

“It was definitely a knock on.

“I’ve seen the front page of the Courier-Mail and that is absolute rubbish.

“If they’d have ruled that the first knock on came from NSW, then there was still another knock on from the second Queensland player that came in after it, so there’s no way you could call that a try.

“If they’d have gone back and called a double knock-on with NSW doing the first one, I wouldn’t have had a problem with that.

“I would have ruled that the strip was the knock on.

I reckon Morgan goes in to make the tackle, he hits him across the chest and his arm goes across the ball and then you see his hand grab the ball and hit it forward.

“The bottom line was it wasn’t a try.”

Harrigan said he also agreed with the controversial decision to deny Pearce a try because of a forward pass by Blues winger Brett Morris.

Referee Gerard Sutton made a split-second decision and was in a perfect position to rule if the pass was flat or forward.

Harrigan said both Morris’ pass and the one before it from Michael Jennings to Morris were forward.

“During the live call on Triple M last night I actually called both passes forward,” he said.

“The first one was definitely forward.”

Meanwhile, Harrigan said referees delivered on their promise to crack down on offside players failing to get back the full 10m, but believes the whistleblowers were too lenient on some players.

“They did something about it, but there were times they let players go who were standing a mile offside,” he said.

“That 10m rule could have been a little bit wider.

“They policed the 10m a bit better this time, but they still have work to do.”

Harrigan said he would be happy for Sutton to be given the job of officiating game three at Suncorp Stadium on July 8.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...cision-was-right/story-fni3fqyo-1227403650336

Even the Queenslanders were fairly quiet last night after watching the replay. I can't believe the beat up over this call.

1 of the first replays showed the ball clearly coming off a QLD hand then going forward to Inglis. I said to myself "no try" and went to get another drink. Came back and couldn't believe the carry on but that same angled replay wasn't shown again until the Morning Show that I seen.

How is inglis accidentally offside when he picks the ball up. If the player offside picks the ball up and runs he cant be accidentally offside

Already answered why I said accidental offside if you cared to read the whole thread.

Yeah read the thread mate, im saying inglis played at the ball in an offside position the fact it was accidentally touched in the tackle doesnt make it "accidentally offside" it is just offside. Had inglis not played at the ball and it hit him in an offside position then its accidentally offside.
By the letter of the law it should of been a blues penalty

Back