2015 NYC Holden Cup

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Lower Grades' started by JoshW21, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Defender1

Defender1 Steve Simpson

I appreciate the effort he put in during his time at the Knights and wish him all the best. Hopefully he gets an opportunity to grieve his mate and bounces back soon. All the best for the future brother!!!

2. huttriver

huttriver Daniel Saifiti

retired
    It didn't take the club long to take down Pride's profile picture. Anyway good luck to Harry Pondekas now. The field is clear for him.

3. Matty23

Matty23 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Such a shame but understanding of course. Losing someone close to you is way too hard to handle. I wish him all the best with whatever he decides to do next.

4. avdulla

avdulla Matt Hilder

I'm hearing some interesting news out of the nyc, danny levi has been demoted from captain and is apparently gutted over the decision.

5. Junior11

Junior11 Moderator Moderator

Maybe because he'll be playing more NSW Cup/first grade?

6. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

It was pretty odd to make the youngest guy in the side captain last year.
    This year he will be in firstgrade if we have one injury.

7. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

You wouldn't think he'd be gutted over going to NSW Cup/NRL though.

8. Junior11

Even if he plays 10 odd games of NYC, you can understand why he would be disappointed not to captain those games but you can understand that they'd want a full-time NYC player and Levi will probably spend at least half the year in the upper grades. No doubt he'll see the bigger picture.

9. Billy

Yates is the obvious captain. He is a guy who gives everything and often sparks a revival when we need it.
    Not that Levi was bad at it last year. If anything, he tried too hard and took too much responsibility. One game he ran over 100 metres from dummy half.

10. Junior11

Agreed with Yates

Donovan might be in the running too even though I don't think he's the best we have

- - - Updated - - -

With some changes and trial form, I'm thinking the team will be very similar to this

1. Bryce Donovon
    2. Ken Tofilau
    3. Josh Birch
    4. Braden Robson
    5. Brody Lam
    6. Brock Lamb
    7. Jack Cogger
    8. Daniel Saifiti
    9. Danny Levi
    10. Josh King
    11. Bradie Smith
    12. Harry Pondekas
    13. Luke Yates

14. Nathan Lo Monaco
    15. Jacob Saifiti
    16. Sam Apthorpe
    17. Toa Faitotoa/Roman Fepuleai

11. Billy

I suspect Levi will play 80 minutes most games this year, so i'd have someone like Brad Russell at 14. He can play second row to a very high standard, and fill in at hooker if Levi has to come off for any reason.

12. huttriver

huttriver Daniel Saifiti

retired
    I have often thought that Danny was a bit of a bighead. A good attacking player but a bit suspect on defence. I don't believe we have heard the end of Pride some how. Too good a player to disappear?

13. Billy

I think he was a ball hog in some games, largely because he tried to do too much himself I thought, which would be a good reason to take the captaincy off him and tell him to concentrate on improving his skills at hooker instead of trying to run it up like a forward all game.
    I think he is a good defender, but he ran out of puff after 40 minutes or so last year and started missing tackles. He looks much fitter this year.

Pride should walk into another side you would think.

14. avdulla

avdulla Matt Hilder

he does try a bit too hard and I think the club are rushing him a bit. danny still has still has a long way to go before he is ready for the top grade.
    as an outsider looking in, it does have a distinct feel that there is a strong push back to local kids rather than the kids that wayne and mulholland bought in. I don't know the full goings on of Pride, but i think if the club really wanted too he would still be there, same with danny being kept as captain, and also the pondeaks thing as well. Pride and pondekas would be the first 2 picked IMO. Bradie smith is a handy player (nothing exceptional) and saifiti is big but not much else so I would prefer pride and pondekas any day of the week over them.

15. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Team vs Warriors

1. Bryce Donovan
    2. Moa Uta
    3. Josh Birch
    4. Braden Robson
    5. Brody Lam
    6. Brock Lamb
    7. Jack Cogger
    8. Daniel Saifiti
    9. Danny Levi
    10. Josh King
    11. Bradie Smith
    12. Jacob Saifiti
    13. Luke Yates

14. Noah Easton
    15. Faitotoa Faitotoa
    16. Ben Steven
    17. Jack Kelly
    18. Ken Tofilau
    19. Ben Stone

http://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2015/03/03/nyc_and_nsw_cup_roun.html

16. huttriver

huttriver Daniel Saifiti

retired
    I think they are pushing Danny Levi a bit. Some of the young guys making it in the Storm NRL top side this year have been around a few years. They would have played a few NSW Cup games first. Newcastle should do that with Danny. As I said about Pride, he will be back some time. Hopefully sooner than later.

17. Junior11

The only info I can see on this Moa Uta is he can play anywhere in the backline but he's preferred position is fullback. He played in the same NZ men's reserve grade competition as Ken Tofilau, also as starting fullback and there's two articles about him scoring hat-tricks so he can find the line.

I have no idea if he's a big guy or smaller like Tofilau but he's obviously only just edged him out because Tofilau has all the hype around him and apparently Tafilau starred in the trial so I'm guessing this Uta is a big Kiwi back and they've chosen him over the smaller Tofilau to go against the big Warriors under 20's. I don't know why else they wouldn't pick him.

I have no idea who the other interchange players are apart from Faitotoa, I'm glad he's there.

I'm keen to see the Saifiti brothers, apparently they're giants. Hopefully the boys can keep their form going even with our big 3 no longer there. Our new 3 will have to be Levi and our halves, they're the best spine players in the comp and they'll decide how we go this year.

The biggest thing for me though is where the hell is Pondekas. It keeps getting more mysterious. He's nowhere to be seen then he's named in the second grade NYC team then he's named on the bench for the top team and destroys the other team and now he's nowhere to be seen again. Maybe I'm missing something but he'd easily be one of our best forwards.

Remember this game is live on Fox Sports 1 at 12.00pm if you can't make it

18. Billy

The Warriors is a tough game first up.
    No one takes under 20s as seriously as the Warriors. Their under 20s side has their own cult following and they will be looking to smash us.

19. Insomniac

Insomniac Robbie McCormack

Where the hell is Pondeakas? Couldn't even make an extended squad of 19? Something weird is going on there.

20. avdulla

avdulla Matt Hilder

news im hearing is the dogs have snapped him up on a top 25 gig effective immediately, if thats the case then the powers at be at the knights need there heads examined.......