2015 NYC Holden Cup

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights Lower Grades' started by JoshW21, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Billy

Billy Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Knights 6 - 4 Raiders after 6 minutes in the NYC trial - found on a canberra forum.

2. Junior11

Junior11 Moderator Moderator

Knights lead Raiders 16-4 after 30 minutes.

Ken Tofilau 2 tries, Danny Levi 1 try. Donovan 2/3 conversions

3. Billy

Good stuff.
    Tofilau could be a real star. (maybe I should wait to actually see him play before saying that)

- - - Updated - - -

halftime
    Knights up 22 - 4

4. Junior11

He's definitely got the credentials and the hype around him that say he's going to be a star for us. I've been looking forward to seeing him play since the day we signed him.

Josh Birch is our other try scorer

5. Billy

22 - 10 after 50 minutes

28 - 14 after 62 minutes

Lo Monaco scored

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  6. Junior11

Pondekas sounds like he's ripping them apart, good to hear

7. Billy

I really like Pondekas as a player. He reminds me of the young Kade Snowden.

- - - Updated - - -

fulltime 38 - 14
    that is a good scoreline against the traditionally strong Canberra side, but I did hear some of their best played in the firstgrade trial yesterday and not today, while our side was near fullstrength.

8. Junior11

Full time

Knights - 38
    Raiders - 14

Tries: Ken Tofilau 2, Josh Birch 1, Danny Levi 1, Nathan Lo Monaco 1, Harry Pondekas 1, Toa Faitotoa 1.

Goals: Bryce Donovan 3/4 goals, Brock Lamb 2/3

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I was getting worried about what's happening with him but it's great to see he's still with us and he killed it in the second half with some huge breaks and a try himself. He seems really mature and has something special about him even though he doesn't look like your typical athlete. He's easily one of our best young forwards, I'm exciting to see how much better he's going to get this year.

Also great to see Lo Monaco stepping up. He's probably going to be our main hooker once Levi makes the step up. I rate him highly too.

9. Joshhh

Joshhh OnARampageFuelledByGod

What is it with Pondekas, always seems to play very well, had a great 2014, but seems out of favour, he hasn't broken into the starting team for any of the pre-season trials & probably could have easily done a pre-season with NRL this year but had players like Petterson-Robati preferred over him.

10. ripper

ripper Matt Hilder

Retired
    Sounds like he was in the back row where he belongs whilst he can play in in the front row like he did in the first 2 trials he is more damaging in the back row on the edge where he has got some room to move and he can run those good lines. He is one of our best and was one our best last year scoring 10 tries he would be the the first pick back rower IMO.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  11. avdulla

avdulla Matt Hilder

yeah it seems a strange one to work out all round, he was as good as tapine and fitzy last year and in some games was even better. However the team selections so far don't read all that good as smith and other back rowers seem to be favored at the moment in front of him. Smith is a worker but he hardly looks like breaking the line or causing damage with the ball. Hopefully today from the basic reports coming through we will see pondekas elevated to the starting team.

12. Junior11

100% agree with it all. If he's not first picked in the backrow there's something seriously wrong that we don't know about.

13. huttriver

huttriver Daniel Saifiti

retired
    Pride has actually been away in Melbourne for three weeks after the tragic death of a close friend, former schoolmate and teammate at the Storm in SG Ball a few years ago. He is a more talented player than Pondekas anyway. He was overweight and unfit after transfering from the Storm early last season. He started to come on off the bench through the season. So what has been Pondekas's excuse for not taking his opportunities?

14. avdulla

avdulla Matt Hilder

you sure about that??? I think your post lacks thought and facts.... i think if you remember correctly that pondekas transferred the same time that pride did.... as far as comparing the 2, pride is a ruck player whilst pondekas is an edge player who scores points. In regards to taking opportunities only time will tell,

15. Billy

I thought they were both great last year and both deserved to train with firstgrade. Pride certainly looks as good as Joe Tapine did at the same age, but in my opinion, so does harry. It's really hard to work out why one trains with firstgrade and the other seems to be on the fringe of the NYC squad.

16. Junior11

Everyone knows what a talent Pride is and it's extremely sad that this has happened to him, we all hope he's okay and can keep developing because he is such a quality player. I don't get why the dig at Pondekas though? Pondekas has proven to be every bit as good as Pride, I'm not sure what excuses you're talking about but to me they're both great young backrowers that will both be pushing for an NRL start in the next few years, that's only a positive for them and the club.

Something has gotta be up with Pondekas, whether it's injury or discipline or something personal, he's better than his training/trial selections are showing. His game today proved that.

17. huttriver

huttriver Daniel Saifiti

retired
    Not really a dig at Harry, just saying he had the opportunity to shine without Pride there and make a statement. There was a period last year when Harry seemed to disappear without an injury report.Perhaps he has the odd off-field problem too. Yes, he can score tries; and kick goals too. Pride scored 8-9 tries off the bench. Hope they both set the world on fire this year, because it will be their last year in NYC.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  18. Billy

19. huttriver

huttriver Daniel Saifiti

retired
    Pride Petterson-Robati has left the Knights for personal reasons. The club has released him from his contract. We believe the recent sudden death of his close friend is still affecting him.

20. Billy

That's a shame.
    I hope all works out for him, whether he tries another club, another sport, or just gets a job and works like the rest of us.
    He is a big loss to the team I think.