2014 State of Origin - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Rep Footy' started by rhugh89, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Aidos

Aidos Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Agreed, I also thought he was a massive ball-hog and stifled the attack for NSW last year.

Hayne has to be the fullback, surely.

2. slotmachine

slotmachine Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

farah is out for 6 weeks and gallen is a 50/50 too.

brett stewart is carving up the sharks this afternoon. he will play city country for sure

3. Hamish171

Hamish171 Adam Woolnough

Learning
    Tupou really? In my eyes he is just an average winger who fails most of the time to use his size as a factor. Very inconsistent player similar to Uate.

4. lowey

lowey Michael Hagan

i would prefer no knights player be in origin we need everyone on deck so we can win these games around origin to get our season back on track

5. Pieguyfly

Pieguyfly Sean Rudder

Dugan was harshly criticized last year.

He was bloody dangerous, he did make a few mistakes in attack for sure, but Pearce has been making those mistakes for 5 years now! It was the Dugs first Origin outing and he made a good showing of himself. He's obviously talented, and it's those types of players we should be persisting with because we can iron out the decision making. Hayne is much more experienced and well rounded, but it's the same as QLD. G.I is probably now the better fullback, but he goes to the centres because you want Slater and Inglis in the same team.

6. rhugh89

rhugh89 Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus Staff Member Admin

Andrew Johns says Jarrod Mullen should be the NSW five-eighth

Andrew Johns says Jarrod Mullen should be NSW five-eighth for State of Origin

• PAUL CRAWLEY
    • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
    • APRIL 14, 2014 12:00AM

[​IMG]
    Andrew Johns believes Jarrod Mullen can do the job as five-eighth for NSW this year. Source: News Corp Australia

JARROD Mullen was hailed as “the next Joey” when arrived in first grade way back in 2004 as a teenager at Newcastle, but a decade on the real Joey has anointed the now 27-year-old as the answer to NSW’s five-eighth problems in 2014.

With out-of-form Roosters five-eighth James Maloney under pressure to keep his place in the Blues team after a slow start to the year, Andrew Johns said on The Sunday Footy Show that it was time to reconsider Mullen at Origin level.

Mullen’s only Origin appearance was way back in 2007 when he was thrown into the Blues side at halfback as a 20-year-old — but after playing one game Mullen suffered an injury and he never got another crack.

While his consistency over the years has been questioned, Mullen came of age last year when he took over the Newcastle captaincy in Kurt Gidley’s absence and guided the Knights to finish just one game short of the grand final.

And he looked set for another big year in 2014 before he went down with a hamstring injury at the Auckland Nines.

[​IMG]

Jarrod Mullen has matured under Wayne Bennett at Newcastle. Source: News Corp Australia

But Mullen took no time to settle back in on Saturday when he returned for the Knights against Canberra and his ball playing and kicking game was instrumental in the Knights’ 26-12 win.

Maloney’s form this year has been a major worry for the Blues and it even forced NSW coach Laurie Daley to publicly declare last week that it was time for Maloney to lift his game.

Bulldogs five-eighth Josh Reynolds has also had a great start to the year and will surely come into consideration — but Mullen’s great strength is his kicking game and ability to create opportunities for his outside men while he is also strong defensively.

Johns also threw up Jarryd Hayne as a wildcard option for NSW five-eighth this year — but Johns said Mullen would be his pick to wear the number six jumper.

“I know I would be tempted to play Jarryd (Hayne) at five-eighth but (Mullen) is my five-eighth for Origin,” Johns said on The Sunday Footy Show.

“He controls the game.

“When (the Knights) were leading the game his kicking game the last 15 minutes just totally controlled it.”

Johns said he thinks Hayne would play fullback for the Blues this year but could also handle the five-eighth job.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226882780053

7. rhugh89

Kurt Gidley and Michael Ennis in line to replace the injured Robbie Farah

Kurt Gidley and Michael Ennis in line for Blues if Robbie Farah isn’t fit for State of Origin I

• NICK WALSHAW
    • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
    • APRIL 14, 2014 12:00AM

[​IMG]
    Robbie Farah could be out for six weeks after injuring his elbow. Source: Supplied

MICHAEL Ennis and Kurt Gidley are the favourites to replace injured Robbie Farah as NSW hooker if he’s unfit for State of Origin I on May 28.

While the two hookers with Origin experience are the obvious contenders for Farah's No. 9 jersey, News Limited understands selectors are considered two bolters for the position — Parramatta’s Nathan Peats and Canterbury’s Josh Reynolds.

In-form Reynolds is also among the candidates for the five-eighth spot but his versatility means he could be used as a dummy half.

NSW coach Laurie Daley would not be drawn on the hooking role but it is understood Ennis, Gidley, Peats and Reynolds will fight out for the role.

Ennis would be early favourite given his experience and previous success at Origin level.

Gidley is another logical choice but could be used more effectively off the interchange bench.

Peats, the former Rabbitoh, has been considered a potential Origin player in the future but his impressive form for the Eels has thrust him in as an outside chance for this year’s series.

Reynolds’ creativity would no doubt ensure his effectiveness at dummy half.

Farah dislocated his elbow during the Wests Tigers’ 16-4 win over North Queensland at Campbelltown Stadium on Saturday night.

Although scans on Saturday night revealed no fracture to the arm, he is expected to be out for up to six weeks, with his potential return date coinciding with Origin I.

Farah could still be chosen for NSW if Daley gambles by naming a player who hasn’t played for an extended period.

On Twitter, Farah wrote: “Unfortunately I’ll miss 5-6 weeks but could of (sic) been a lot worse. Proud of the effort from the boys last night. Tough win.”

Wests Tigers issues a statement on Sunday confirming Farah’s injury.

“Wests Tigers captain Robbie Farah will be sidelined for an extended period after suffering a dislocated elbow,” it read.

“Scans last night revealed no fracture to the arm, however Farah is set to miss approximately six weeks with the injury.

“Farah suffered the dislocation in the 78th minute of last night’s game, with the elbow relocated by Wests Tigers medical staff on field.”

Barring injury, Reynolds seems an automatic Origin selection either at hooker, his favoured position at five-eighth or as an interchange player.

Incumbent five-eighth James Maloney is struggling to find the form which thrust him into the NSW side last year.

Maloney, though, is a deadly goalkicker, which will no doubt assist his chances of selections.

Aside from Maloney, no other NSW candidate is a goalkicker.

Cronulla’s Todd Carney is another five-eighth option for Daley.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...tate-of-origin-i/story-fni3fqyo-1226882662769

8. Jaybro

Jaybro Lenny Beckett

It doesn't matter who we pick we won't win because Mitch Pearce will be the halfback and even Stevie wonder can see this guy can't play up to origin standard. As long as we keep picking him we won't win a series, I know people say we don't have a better halfback which is true so I'd pick Todd Carney as half at least you know he has a good kicking, passing and running game Pearce has a terrible kicking and running game his passing is ok but he doesn't read the game like Toddy does so he rarely picks the right play in origin. The one thing in his favour is his defence which is very very good ......

Someone said Merritt !!! Please haven't we been there before the guy is not up to standard .....

Mansour is a good worker and finisher but has no idea in defence he looses awareness of where he is in defence and gets caught out of position a lot. Surely Jimmy McManus deserves another shot ???

This won't be the team but for what it's worth this is my team

1.J.Hayne
    2.J.Manus
    3.J.Morris
    4.M.Jennings
    5.B.Morris
    6.J.Mullen
    7.T.Carney
    8.A.Woods
    9.R.Farah / N.Peats
    10.J.Tamou
    11.B.Cordner / L.Lewis
    12.G.Bird
    13.P.Gallen

14.N.Peats / M.Rein
    15.A.Fifita
    16.A.Watmough
    17.T.Merrin

9. Afro Zac

Afro Zac Todd Bates

I was at the Tigers game and it didn't look that good, heard his crys of pain from the stands. As Farah was walking off the field and shouting, 'watch how good Gidley plays this week, knowing he's got a shot at the no. 9 for the Blues' just went through my head. Which could be great for us, but Farah will be sweet for Game 1.

10. rhugh89

11. Aidos

Aidos Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Peats is the only good dummy half that's available for NSW in Game 1. Give him the no.9 and use someone like A Kelly as a utility off the bench.

Ennis/Gidley is just backwards thinking and we will suffer if we pick those two.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  12. Playmaker06

Playmaker06 Max Chapman

Sales rep
    What are your guys thoughts on Jake Friend? Oh please anyone but Gidley/Ennis .

13. cameron

cameron Craig Gower

Friend is from QLD. Probably has to be Peats, or maybe Rein.

14. Beaumont

Beaumont Danny 'Bedsy' Buderus

Muscle checking and manipulation of greyhounds.
    Tallis reckons he(Farrah) could play in a couple of weeks. He said doing weights was a bit difficult but getting through a game should be ok.

15. Murri Knights

Murri Knights Scott Seamer

Just pointing out that most of the players who played for qld are in a bit of a for slump. the storm boys are playing terrible, hodges terrible, taylor/mqueen/teo average, papallii and boyd just back from injury, Thurston,inglis and thaiday been playing good though

16. rhugh89

Phil Rothfield has named his contenders and eventual team

[​IMG]

17. Captain Planet

Captain Planet Russell Wyer

Garbage Man
    Rothfield is a tool, I only read his articles to see wat nonsense he has spewed up again...always a step behind the rest of the pack when it comes to all sports, rarely hits the mark,when it comes to good sports writing ...

18. QldKnight

QldKnight Rodney Howe

Isn't he an Irish rep player?

19. listo

listo Aaron Grainger

That's the way I hope it goes, if we lose another series, I hope it's done while getting some young fellers involved rather than the old boys.
    How good would Kelly be zipping around in the last 10 of each half?

20. rhugh89

NSW coach Laurie Daley tells disheartened Blues fans, we will succeed in State of Origin again

• DEAN RITCHIE
    • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
    • APRIL 15, 2014 12:00AM

[​IMG]
    NSW coach Laurie Daley says Blues’ fans shouldn’t lose faith for State of Origin. Source: Getty Images

NSW coach Laurie Daley has sent a direct message to all Blues fans disheartened at losing eight successive State of Origin series.

“Don’t lose faith — we will come out the other side. Stick through thick and thin,” Daley told News Limited.

Origin I on May 28 is quickly looming, with Daley wrestling several selection issues

.The NSW coach though doesn’t want to be wrestling with fans — he knows their pain and wants them onside and positive.

“You know the fans would be disappointed because we haven’t won but I think over the last couple of years we have had a red-hot crack,” Daley said.

“Don’t lose faith and be comfortable knowing we will be very well prepared and will give it our very best again.

“I think most people — I wouldn’t say they’ve admired — but have respected what we’ve done over the past couple of years.

"For us, the challenge is to keep earning that respect.

“But everyone knows Origin is different and it’s a tough game.

"We just have to strive continually to be better than last year. It takes a lot of hard work and we need everyone’s support.

“We will come out the other side. Sometimes it mightn’t happen as quickly as you want it to happen.”

NSW must beat Queensland at least once at Suncorp Stadium to clinch the series.

The Blues have relocated this year and will shift into camp at Coffs Harbour before both Brisbane matches.

Asked did he feel pressure, Daley said:

“You are so passionate and proud to be New South Welshman. I guess I’m like anyone else — you feel the wins, you feel the losses, you ride the emotion.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-of-origin-again/story-fni3fqyo-1226884058366